Seeking your honest advise and opinion. Thanks!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HH1855

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
About myself:
I graduated May of 2012 with B.S in Marketing. Started working for a medical sales company that specialized in spine. It's given me the opportunity to work with a orthopedic spine surgeon and in the OR. I absolutely love helping people and changing lives. I never took school seriously, but now that I'm older I know the commitment and dedication that I previously lacked.

My Stats:
Now here is where my situation is not so appealing.
Cum. GPA: 2.48 (136 hours; Only 2 -3 general science courses)
The prerequisites will be another 2 years before I can think about taking my MCAT and applying to M.D/DO. It also adds another 60-70 hours that will help my cum. My time is precious now at 23 years old and I will not settle below an A in any class.

Almost a year of being in OR spine surgery cases. Deformity's, ACDF's, TLIF's , ALIF's ect..

I have volunteered for a total of 9 months at a nursing home.(Will be adding plenty more volunteer/shadowing hours.)

Met with my University's adviser and he said "It can be done but it's going to be hard". I am looking at this as a challenge in life to better myself. I am willing to do whatever it takes to be a specialty doctor. Hypothetically if I do not get accepted to any schools, then I will consider another medical route.

I would love to hear ANY feedback about my situation. Thank you so much for reading this and God Bless.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Well I think the bright side to this story is although you have a very low GPA, you said yourself you only have 2-3 science courses, so you have the potential to have an outstanding BCPM GPA if you work hard at it. If your GPA is still subpar after that, I would recommend doing a SMP or taking advantage of DO grade replacement (if you don't mind going that route).

However, I think if you ace all your prereqs and the MCAT, you have a good chance given all your experience.

Thank you very much for your insight and opinion! I will be starting my prerequisites this fall at CC back home and plan on killing my classes. I would love to be an M.D but will absolutely go the D.O route as well. I could greatly benefit from the grade replacement.

Is D.O looked down upon? Also is it hard as D.O to get accepted to specialty's?

Members don't see this ad :)
Only by ignorant pre-meds, and elderly MDs.

Is D.O looked down upon?

Nope. My students have gone into radiology, pathology, anesthesiology [sp?], surgery, neurology, orthopedics, cardiology and even ophthalmology.

Also is it hard as D.O to get accepted to specialty's?[/QUOTE]

After researching more about D.O. I've come to the conclusion that it is the same as M.D. I really don't care if I have an M.D at the end of name. I care about wanting to be a great physician and to be able specialize in a field that interests me.

I still have a long road ahead of me but I'm going to work hard at it. I'm just taking it one step at a time. Will be quitting work this fall in order to be able to start my BCPM gpa grind. I will keep updating my situation as I hope my story will end up inspiring others.

Would love to hear anymore intake about my situation. Thanks

Only by ignorant pre-meds, and elderly MDs.

Is D.O looked down upon?

Nope. My students have gone into radiology, pathology, anesthesiology [sp?], surgery, neurology, orthopedics, cardiology and even ophthalmology.

Also is it hard as D.O to get accepted to specialty's?
Hey, hey. Some elderly MD's!

Im back after a semester of school and just wanted to update my status and let everyone know my plans for the near future.

I took 17 hrs this past fall semester. I finished with a 3.4.
Bio 1- B
Psychology-B
Sociology-A
Humanities-A
Chem 1-B

I am mad at myself for those B's because they were all a few pts away, but I will work harder and do better this semester.

Im taking 17 hrs this spring semester and will finish bio & chem 2.

I plan on maybe A&P in the summer, in hope to ease my workload in med school. The only other pre-reqs left would be physics and ochem. Along with a few other upper lvl science courses.

Im hoping to take the mcat beginning of next year so I can hopefully apply June 2015 cycle. I am trying to get to medschool as fast as possible without pre-maturely applying before being a solid candidate. Would greatly appreciate thoughts and feedback on my life's journey. Thanks and stay tuned

17 credits again may be a lot. Do you feel like you were overloaded this past semester, causing you to fall a few points short of A's? If so, you may want to reconsider your current schedule so you have more time to focus on bio and chem.

You still did well and improved your GPA though, so congrats. Stay at it, don't give up!

17 credits again may be a lot. Do you feel like you were overloaded this past semester, causing you to fall a few points short of A's? If so, you may want to reconsider your current schedule so you have more time to focus on bio and chem.

You still did well and improved your GPA though, so congrats. Stay at it, don't give up!

Yes, I do think at times I was overloaded but the A's were still in reach! I will consider dropping a class now to give myself more time for studying bio and chem. I just want to take a many hours but at the same time to both raise my gpa.

So what is your cGPA now? And your sGPA?

I honestly have no idea.. Is that bad? I will have to get my transcripts from both schools I have attended and crunch some numbers. Am I ready to start putting classes in amcas website? I would like to know that myself though :)

I don't know if it's bad not to know but it would drive me crazy not knowing. :lol: I would think it would be helpful to know where you stand after each semester.