Selecting MD programs to apply to going into SMP year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Portlandia22

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Just starting out here but I poked around and didn't see anything on this specific topic.

Anyway, I am entering an SMP year in August but will be applying to MD programs come June, as per the recommendation of my SMP. I'm having a hard time selecting a list of MD programs in my 'target range' to apply to in the context of my UG GPA since the point of this upcoming SMP is to somewhat rectify a low GPA.

I understand the host institution's MD program is the goal here, but I will obviously be applying to plenty of other schools. I began compiling a list of where alumni of a few different SMPs have been accepted, but that's not exactly comprehensive. Is there any metric to predict how much a successful SMP year will help 'boost' a low UG GPA?

Also, is there any advice on a range of how many schools an SMP-year applicant should apply to? Or is the strategy to cast a big net? Do I treat it as though I'm not entering into an SMP? I was thinking a list of around 20 schools, as of now.

Some basics about me:
cGPA: 3.22
sGPA: 3.07
MCAT: 32

Been out of school for 2-3 years and have been working in a research lab since graduation. I think I have some unique and impressive publications, collaborations and overall 'post-UG/work narrative' that I hope make my application compelling. My LORs are also a strong point. I also had to go back to school part-time while I was working and take some pre-reqs I never took in UG and received a 4.0 on those 8 credits.

Additionally, I came across the Lizzy M score metric and that was useful, but it obviously projected me below the threshold of most schools. I'm not sure how much to 'scale up,' if at all. Although I did take the average Lizzy M score of the schools listed on the SMP sites that alumni have gotten into. Came out to about an average of 67, without weighting for multiple acceptances. My current score is a 63.2, for reference.

But any advice you have on how best to build my list of schools or any metrics I should consider would be much appreciated! I can elaborate on anything if it helps give you a better picture.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Just starting out here but I poked around and didn't see anything on this specific topic.
This gets discussed annually or so, but I understand the useful threads are quite buried.
Anyway, I am entering an SMP year in August but will be applying to MD programs come June, as per the recommendation of my SMP.
This is bad advice, with your stats, unless you are at Tulane ACP, Temple or RFU. This advice assumes that the absolute worst thing that could happen would be to have a gap year after your SMP. It does not prioritize getting you into the best possible med school nor does it consider the six-figure difference in cost of attendance of bypassing your home state schools.
I'm having a hard time selecting a list of MD programs in my 'target range' to apply to in the context of my UG GPA since the point of this upcoming SMP is to somewhat rectify a low GPA.
Unfortunately there are no US MD schools in your target range (other than possibly Puerto Rico - are you fluent in Spanish?).
I understand the host institution's MD program is the goal here, but I will obviously be applying to plenty of other schools. I began compiling a list of where alumni of a few different SMPs have been accepted, but that's not exactly comprehensive.
The information you're missing is the home state(s) of those alumni, and their stats. Without that info, it's useless to target schools other people got into, because your stats are quite a bit below matriculant average. A surprising number of SMP students have competitive stats.
Is there any metric to predict how much a successful SMP year will help 'boost' a low UG GPA?
Not one with any science behind it, but here's my back-of-envelope metric:
Case 1: candidate's stats are average (3.6+/31+, higher for CA/NY/etc); same-year-as-SMP-MD-app is likely to succeed unless there's something fundamentally wrong with the candidate. SMP enrollment is a commitment EC in this case.
Case 2: candidate's GPA is no worse than one standard deviation below average (3.4+) and MCAT is average or better (31+); same-year-as-SMP-MD-app should succeed in candidate's home state unless California or New York, fair chance at late acceptance elsewhere, IF candidate is mature and well-balanced. First semester SMP grades may make a difference in this case.
Case 3: candidate's GPA is no worse than two standard deviations below average (3.1 - 3.3) and MCAT is no more than one standard deviation below average (28-31); should only do same-year-as-SMP-MD-app if host school linkage is very strong (Temple, Tulane, RFU) or if home state is extremely supportive. First semester SMP grades will have no impact elsewhere.
Case 4: All others should wait to apply MD until SMP is finished with 3.6+ GPA.
Also, is there any advice on a range of how many schools an SMP-year applicant should apply to? Or is the strategy to cast a big net? Do I treat it as though I'm not entering into an SMP? I was thinking a list of around 20 schools, as of now.
Generally you should apply to med school only once, with the best possible app you can put together, as early as possible, as broadly as possible.

Best of luck to you.

Reactions: 1 user
This is bad advice, with your stats, unless you are at Tulane ACP, Temple or RFU. This advice assumes that the absolute worst thing that could happen would be to have a gap year after your SMP. It does not prioritize getting you into the best possible med school nor does it consider the six-figure difference in cost of attendance of bypassing your home state schools.

OK, thank you. Perhaps I overstated my school's 'recommendation' ('encouragement' is probably a better word). And after taking your outline into consideration, perhaps that encouragement wouldn't apply to me or my stats as strongly.

Case 3: candidate's GPA is no worse than two standard deviations below average (3.1 - 3.3) and MCAT is no more than one standard deviation below average (28-31); should only do same-year-as-SMP-MD-app if host school linkage is very strong (Temple, Tulane, RFU) or if home state is extremely supportive. First semester SMP grades will have no impact elsewhere.
Case 4: All others should wait to apply MD until SMP is finished with 3.6+ GPA.

I feel like I fall into your Case 4. I'll be at Cincinnati, if that helps put things into perspective. I suppose I will get in touch with my SMP program to discuss my case individually ASAP and get their opinion as well.

Generally you should apply to med school only once, with the best possible app you can put together, as early as possible, as broadly as possible.

Is it at all advisable to apply ONLY to my host institution and state school this round? I'd be happy at either and it would avoid the additional year. And since the Cincinnati SMP earns you Ohio residency, could I add the other Ohio public state schools to the list? Or is reapplying in general (even if my second time around consists of 90% schools I hadn't applied to in the first found) considered ill-advised if I do not receive an acceptance from my small pool in the first attempt?

Thanks again for your advice above.

Members don't see this ad :)
OK, thank you. Perhaps I overstated my school's 'recommendation' ('encouragement' is probably a better word). And after taking your outline into consideration, perhaps that encouragement wouldn't apply to me or my stats as strongly.

I feel like I fall into your Case 4. I'll be at Cincinnati, if that helps put things into perspective. I suppose I will get in touch with my SMP program to discuss my case individually ASAP and get their opinion as well.

Is it at all advisable to apply ONLY to my host institution and state school this round? I'd be happy at either and it would avoid the additional year. And since the Cincinnati SMP earns you Ohio residency, could I add the other Ohio public state schools to the list? Or is reapplying in general (even if my second time around consists of 90% schools I hadn't applied to in the first found) considered ill-advised if I do not receive an acceptance from my small pool in the first attempt?

Thanks again for your advice above.

Our stats are the exact same, we're going to the same SMP, and applying only to Cinci is my plan. We're in dire straits because of our grades and wasting energy stressing about the interviews you have yet to earn during that first semester will lower your academic performance- anybody who encourages you to apply during the year probably has significantly better stats than yours. They're also oblivious. Don't take advise from SMP students, since the reason they are in SMPs is because they are deficient in planning for the future. Rather than seeking guidance from anonymous sources, ask the person who told you to apply to justify it based on your individual case- if their answer involves "your never know how close you are" they're betraying common sense and statistics.

applying only to Cinci is my plan.

Hm, yeah, that is making more and more sense the more I consider it. You and DrMidLife have made good points and I'd like to at least give myself the opportunity to avoid another year off so applying just to UC sounds like it would be a good option. Although I'm still curious as to whether I would be considered a re-applicant only to UC or a re-applicant in general to all my programs in the event I don't get into UC next year and have to reapply in 2015-2016. Sounds like it would be worth the risk/potential hit, unless people think otherwise.

Anyway, I guess I'll see you in August then!

Hm, yeah, that is making more and more sense the more I consider it. You and DrMidLife have made good points and I'd like to at least give myself the opportunity to avoid another year off so applying just to UC sounds like it would be a good option. Although I'm still curious as to whether I would be considered a re-applicant only to UC or a re-applicant in general to all my programs in the event I don't get into UC next year and have to reapply in 2015-2016. Sounds like it would be worth the risk/potential hit, unless people think otherwise.

Anyway, I guess I'll see you in August then!

For anybody curious about the re-applicant question:

https://www.aamc.org/students/applying/amcas/faqs/301606/amiareapplicanttoallschools.html

Reactions: 1 user