Selecting process through interviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TurkSurg

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So is this how it works?:

If your gpa and mcat is good (aka. if you pass the screening cutoff) you will get secondary essays.

If they (adcoms) like your secondaries then they offer you an interview

and finally they look at your activities and interview to make a decision whether or not accept you or not ???

I'm 99% sure this is wrong can somebody tell me how this process works

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I'm no adcom, but it sounds like you have a good idea about it...but this process is in no way transparent, so we're not really going to know all the intricacies. Plus, schools have different methods. Some don't screen, some screen on MCAT/GPA, some screen stats and personal statement, and then give interviews to everyone who gets a secondary.

I'm going to say most schools don't screen, or have a low screen, so they can get lots of $.

The one admissions director I've talked to said his school's process is send secondaries to everyone who passes a screen, then look at their letters/personal statement/etc. Interview. Then base acceptances off interview and the stuff that got you to the interview. But I'm sure it's not that simple either...so short answer, you've got the gist of it but there's probably a lot we'll never know.

I'm no adcom, but it sounds like you have a good idea about it...but this process is in no way transparent, so we're not really going to know all the intricacies. Plus, schools have different methods. Some don't screen, some screen on MCAT/GPA, some screen stats and personal statement, and then give interviews to everyone who gets a secondary.

I'm going to say most schools don't screen, or have a low screen, so they can get lots of $.

The one admissions director I've talked to said his school's process is send secondaries to everyone who passes a screen, then look at their letters/personal statement/etc. Interview. Then base acceptances off interview and the stuff that got you to the interview. But I'm sure it's not that simple either...so short answer, you've got the gist of it but there's probably a lot we'll never know.

I second that. unfortunately we are left in the dark about the specific process at each school though u can search for schools that screen and get some answers that way. good luck

Members don't see this ad :)

how can i contact an admissions director? do i just call the school and ask for an appointment or what :cool:

i have been thru the app season once... got WLed at 2 and rejected at 1 after 3 interviews (the rest didnt offer an interview of course). i think youre making it too complicated. the 2ndary invite is just numbers, yes, but the interview invite and the final decision are each based on your entire candidacy... if you have awesoe essays youll make them want to know more about you and invite you for an interview, though... so thatshow it fits in.

The two schools I know who let us in on their selection process did so by rating applications. They'd invite you for an interview based on your preliminary score (neither screened). They'd have two interviewers.

One school had the interviewer give you a score right after your interview--they only had access to your essays and activities before. Then they got access to the rest of your application and rated you again. They'd get together as a committee and deliberate, and give you a rating as a committee. After that, you were set in stone.

The other school had the committee meeting literally while the interviewees were still there for interview day. They made decisions before many of the students left. They'd give you an overall score. If your score was better than last year's average, you'd get an acceptance. If not, you were put on a waitlist, ranked by your score. After they stopped interviewing, they'd fill up the rest of the class off the waitlist.

One other school I interviewed at didn't have the interviewers on the admissions committee at all; they were to send in a report of the interview to defend you, and then the committee itself made a decision with all the pieces of your application.