Selecting PTE after sending LOI

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

why_not

Reaction score
Hello!

I was wondering if selecting PTE after sending LOI looks bad. I was recently accepted to my first school, but I have minor reason to believe that this may have been a mistake. Of course, given that its the weekend, I will not really be able to verify with the school until monday. I am thus afraid to CTE and lose my spots on other waitlists. Any advice would be much appreciated

Members don't see this ad.

Hello!

I was wondering if selecting PTE after sending LOI looks bad. I was recently accepted to my first school, but I have minor reason to believe that this may have been a mistake. Of course, given that its the weekend, I will not really be able to verify with the school until monday. I am thus afraid to CTE and lose my spots on other waitlists. Any advice would be much appreciated
You would still have to withdraw from the WLs -- it is NOT automatic, so you would not "lose" anything without taking action yourself. Since it IS the weekend, what is the rush and what is the issue? If there is any doubt about your acceptance, no need to do anything before you can clear it up. Also, are you talking about PTE or CTE? With PTE you don't have to give up your WLs.

Reactions: 1 user
You would still have to withdraw from the WLs -- it is NOT automatic, so you would not "lose" anything without taking action yourself. Since it IS the weekend, what is the rush and what is the issue? If there is any doubt about your acceptance, no need to do anything before you can clear it up. Also, are you talking about PTE or CTE? With PTE you don't have to give up your WLs.
Basically, if I send a LOI to a school and get accepted, wouldnt they expect me to CTE? Thus, if I PTE instead, would that look bad, almost implying that I am not sure if I want to commit to the school, even though i sent a LOI?

Members don't see this ad :)
Basically, if I send a LOI to a school and get accepted, wouldnt they expect me to CTE? Thus, if I PTE instead, would that look bad, almost implying that I am not sure if I want to commit to the school, even though i sent a LOI?
Maybe. The question is, why wouldn't you CTE? If you don't CTE, you're not almost implying that you're not ready to commit -- you're flat out telling them you're not ready to commit!

If you're still holding out for something better, they can't stop you, no matter how it looks. I am pretty sure most schools take LOIs with a grain of salt anyway. If you're worried, don't screw around, but I'm pretty sure they cannot rescind an A once they give it to you as long as you play by the rules and meet their PTE/CTE deadlines, just because you may have stretched the truth when you wrote the LOI.

You’re way overthinking this. You have until the CTE deadline to CTE. They aren’t going to drop you over the weekend if you’ve already PTE. Also, if they accepted you and you were able to select PTE in CYMS, it’s HIGHLY unlikely your acceptance was a mistake.

Chill this weekend, celebrate your acceptance, and if you’re still being paranoid Monday, fine, call the school to confirm your acceptance.

You’re way overthinking this. You have until the CTE deadline to CTE. They aren’t going to drop you over the weekend if you’ve already PTE. Also, if they accepted you and you were able to select PTE in CYMS, it’s HIGHLY unlikely your acceptance was a mistake.

Chill this weekend, celebrate your acceptance, and if you’re still being paranoid Monday, fine, call the school to confirm your acceptance.
I know I have until the deadline. My point is they will see that I PTE instead of CTE, which I feel like may look bad since I sent a LOI. Thank you for responding by the way!

I know I have until the deadline. My point is they will see that I PTE instead of CTE, which I feel like may look bad since I sent a LOI. Thank you for responding by the way!

My point is it doesn’t matter if it “looks bad,” since you have until the deadline and they’ve already accepted you. I’m not sure what consequence you’re worried about here. They are very unlikely to notice anyway.

My point is it doesn’t matter if it “looks bad,” since you have until the deadline and they’ve already accepted you. I’m not sure what consequence you’re worried about here. They are very unlikely to notice anyway.
Can you just edit a PTE to a CTE whenever you want?

Can you just edit a PTE to a CTE whenever you want?
Yes -- but really you're not editing it (that's changing PTE from one school to another), you're making a CTE selection, which supercedes the PTE one. I haven't done it yet myself, so I can't say for certain (I haven't even applied yet! :)), but I don't think there is any going back once you select CTE. Since that is supposed to be permanent and final, you should check and see if it's irrevocable in the tool before you do it, since you seem a little uncertain. :)

Thank you guys very much for your help!