Selection of orthodontic Residency Program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

xover85

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
If I have the funds to only apply to about 12 ortho residencies, which would everyone suggest. My stats are on the lower ends (86 Boards and not top 20%). I'm completing my GPR this year. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I would be happy to give you some pointers because I just got accepted this year and I am about to finish my AEGD program. Just PM me

If I have the funds to only apply to about 12 ortho residencies, which would everyone suggest. My stats are on the lower ends (86 Boards and not top 20%). I'm completing my GPR this year. Thanks!

How much debt do you have?

I would definitely apply to Vanderbilt and Rochester (Eastman dental center). There is a list or ortho residencies out there (somewhere). I'll try to dig it up and post it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Did you do any externships? Is there an ortho program where you're doing your AEGD? Was there an ortho program at your dental school? Is there an ortho program within driving distance where you could stop by and get some face time? That's where you'll have your best chances. Having over-the-top, stellar grades/scores only open doors for you where no one knows you.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I didn't do any externships because I decided I wanted to do ortho pretty late into my 4th year. I have had a little bit of face time with ortho faculty mostly due to ortho treatment at my school. I will definitely try to make it back before apps are sent out. My GPR doesn't have an ortho program unfortunately. Thank you guys for the help!