Self-identification question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ufcfanatic1997

Reaction score
I understand a lot of people have a hard time addressing questions similar to this but I am going to go ahead and ask-

My father is Asian (South Asian to be exact) and my name follows that. My mother is Latina. As far as what I look like, easily more Latino. Although, I am not fluent in Spanish, people will come up to me at the local Bodega and talk to me in Spanish. I grew up with my mom and a Hispanic heavy inner city.

In the South Asian culture, its a cultural norm to go with your fathers race, so that is what I have been doing this entire time.

What do I self-identify as? Hispanic, simply because I grew up with my mom, around Hispanics, and I look Hispanic.

But I don't want this to cause an issue during the application process. What would you guys advise me to do?

@Goro @LizzyM

Members don't see this ad.

You can che
I understand a lot of people have a hard time addressing questions similar to this but I am going to go ahead and ask-

My father is Asian (South Asian to be exact) and my name follows that. My mother is Latina. As far as what I look like, easily more Latino. Although, I am not fluent in Spanish, people will come up to me at the local Bodega and talk to me in Spanish. I grew up with my mom and a Hispanic heavy inner city.

In the South Asian culture, its a cultural norm to go with your fathers race, so that is what I have been doing this entire time.

What do I self-identify as? Hispanic, simply because I grew up with my mom, around Hispanics, and I look Hispanic.

But I don't want this to cause an issue during the application process. What would you guys advise me to do?

@Goro @LizzyM
You can check both.

You can che

You can check both.

That's an option? Pre health advising on my campus recommended that I go with what I have been selecting previously: selected just Asian for my undergraduate applications and jobs that I have been working at. I want to be cautious because I don't want it to hurt me later on.

If selecting both is an option, I will definitely do that.

Members don't see this ad :)
That's an option? Pre health advising on my campus recommended that I go with what I have been selecting previously: selected just Asian for my undergraduate applications and jobs that I have been working at. I want to be cautious because I don't want it to hurt me later on.

If selecting both is an option, I will definitely do that.
Yup

If you self-identify with both, check both. The answer you give won't/shouldn't hurt you.

I guess i'm just a little nervous because I've always marked down just Asian for job applications and things of that sort. I don't want it to come back and hurt me.

Also, in terms of chances to get into med school, does it help being mixed race?

I guess i'm just a little nervous because I've always marked down just Asian for job applications and things of that sort. I don't want it to come back and hurt me.

Also, in terms of chances to get into med school, does it help being mixed race?
It helps the bean-counters, but race/ethnicity issues are part of holistic review. It is too simplistic to reduce this one factor's effects across all the different admissions processes.