Self-identification question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

ufcfanatic1997

Full Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I understand a lot of people have a hard time addressing questions similar to this but I am going to go ahead and ask-

My father is Asian (South Asian to be exact) and my name follows that. My mother is Latina. As far as what I look like, easily more Latino. Although, I am not fluent in Spanish, people will come up to me at the local Bodega and talk to me in Spanish. I grew up with my mom and a Hispanic heavy inner city.

In the South Asian culture, its a cultural norm to go with your fathers race, so that is what I have been doing this entire time.

What do I self-identify as? Hispanic, simply because I grew up with my mom, around Hispanics, and I look Hispanic.

But I don't want this to cause an issue during the application process. What would you guys advise me to do?

@Goro @LizzyM
 
You can che
I understand a lot of people have a hard time addressing questions similar to this but I am going to go ahead and ask-

My father is Asian (South Asian to be exact) and my name follows that. My mother is Latina. As far as what I look like, easily more Latino. Although, I am not fluent in Spanish, people will come up to me at the local Bodega and talk to me in Spanish. I grew up with my mom and a Hispanic heavy inner city.

In the South Asian culture, its a cultural norm to go with your fathers race, so that is what I have been doing this entire time.

What do I self-identify as? Hispanic, simply because I grew up with my mom, around Hispanics, and I look Hispanic.

But I don't want this to cause an issue during the application process. What would you guys advise me to do?

@Goro @LizzyM
You can check both.
 
You can che

You can check both.

That's an option? Pre health advising on my campus recommended that I go with what I have been selecting previously: selected just Asian for my undergraduate applications and jobs that I have been working at. I want to be cautious because I don't want it to hurt me later on.

If selecting both is an option, I will definitely do that.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
If you self-identify with both, check both. The answer you give won't/shouldn't hurt you.

I guess i'm just a little nervous because I've always marked down just Asian for job applications and things of that sort. I don't want it to come back and hurt me.

Also, in terms of chances to get into med school, does it help being mixed race?
 
I guess i'm just a little nervous because I've always marked down just Asian for job applications and things of that sort. I don't want it to come back and hurt me.

Also, in terms of chances to get into med school, does it help being mixed race?
It helps the bean-counters, but race/ethnicity issues are part of holistic review. It is too simplistic to reduce this one factor's effects across all the different admissions processes.