Self Pity???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NubianPrincess

Perpetually Bored
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I bombed on my first tests:(
Luckily thanks to a curve, one of my grades was still in A, but my other test put me off to a slow start this semester. I still passed, but with nothing special. Im trying not to get discouraged or pity myself to much, but this was a major blow to my confidence.
Did anyone else have a slow start? Has anyone else been through this and still done really well in the end?
I am sorry for sounding so pathetic, but I really feel bad. Im trying to make up for when I dropped out two years ago, and I just really want my upward trend to continue.
Any advice ????????(I tried to relax, but I can't. This is my dream and I really don't want to f%$! it up).
BTW, I studied for my tests, but on one I did the problems right but got the wrong signs, and on the other, I read the question wrong and so I answered it wrong! It hurts because even my teachers knew that I know the material.

Members don't see this ad.

Well, after the initial emotional reaction, sit down and really rationalize what happened. How did you study? Was there any wasted effort? Did you get distracted? Too much playing? If you studied hard, did you focus your energy on the wrong areas? Did you isolate your weaknesses? Where the same problems before you dropped out the first time recurring this time around? Did you seek help from your professors or TAs? Are you getting involved in study groups? Etc.?

Take this as a learning experience. I suggest you reevaluate your study habits. Chances are, you're not too stupid to understand the material. From what I understand, it's the same in med school: the material isn't that hard, it's just how to study for it that's difficult.

You may have lost this battle, but not the war.

By the way, it doesn't sound like you did all that badly. Keep everything in perspective. You don't need straight As to get into med school. Good luck!

Hey man, listen, you just need to RELAX. Its good that your worried, that means you care, but realize what's done IS done. I'm a junior now, and my freshman year was tough, I barely made it out with a 3.5, but the point is, I knew that I couldn't change the past. I simply kept moving forward, learned from my mistakes and now I'm doing well. No point dwelling on the past, its not like you have a time machine where you can just go back and fix it. Motivation comes from within, you know what you have to do to raise your grade, SO GO OUT AND DO IT.
good luck man
peace

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't sweat it! I agree with you, you should RELAX! The First test is not necessarily the death stroke in any class. All this means is you just need to work harder to pull off those "A's"

Since your classes are curved, this gives you an even better chance to pull off an "A". After all, if you do better than most of the class on the next tests, your grade average should be in the upper divisional "A" area.

As for myself, I'm not doing so well in an important class also. Its not a death blow for me either, but yea I feel sorta depressed. I think most pre-meds have atleast crapped out on one or more classes initially and have felt depressed/gloomy afterwards (we're definately not only I'm sure of it), but many pre-meds still get into med school, so there's still hope for us :wink:

Good luck, I hope you do well in all your classes!

Thank you. Im not giving up, and hopefully after some rest i'll feel better so I can focus in class tomorrow. I really appreciate the kind words. :D
Im so glad I found this site. Its good to know people understand. :clap:

•••quote:•••Originally posted by mrhdream81:
•I'm a junior now, and my freshman year was tough, I barely made it out with a 3.5,
peace•••••A 3.5 huh? You ought to be ashamed of yourself....