Self study bio chem for MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jla791

Reaction score
Hi guys, I had a question concerning the biochem questions of the MCAT,

Theoretically if the only class I couldn’t take before the MCAT was biochem due to scheduling conflicts then how bad would it hurt me? The way my cycle is planned, I will only be up to Orgo-2.. the thing is, there is a class called structural biochem, which I can take along side o-chem2, but it’s not the same as the biochemistry 1 class which requires both o-chem 1, and 2... is this class worth taking? Can I altogether substitute regular biochem for structural biochem as my one semester of biochem or will it not aid me at all for MCAT preparation?

The issue is, biochem will be the only class I won’t have taken, I really wouldn’t want to wait another entire year to apply just because I couldn’t take biochem.. unless it’s really necessary. I’m pretty good on self teaching science, but I’m not going to give myself too ugh credit since topics like biochem seem pretty recourse intensive.

Anyway, what are thoughts on this? Should I play it safe and just wait to take the MCAT if I haven’t taken a traditional biochem course?

Members don't see this ad.

Honestly, it all comes down to how well you are able to comprehend and grasp new material or how well you are able to teach yourself. I think biochemistry is easier than organic chemistry, albeit it is still a difficult course that requires mastery, including memorization of the amino acids for example. I am not familiar with structural biochem so cannot give you advice on whether or not to proceed with your plans for substituting that course.

Some non-trad students take the MCAT years and years after having a formal pre-req course and are able to learn the material almost completely over and do well on the MCAT. So I think it is possible to do well on a topic without having recently been exposed to the material via course lectures.

Reactions: 1 user