Self Study Gross Anatomy and Physiology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sohum.desai

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Deleted

Members don't see this ad.

It really won't help you to start early... seriously, it won't. I'm sure others will chime in. BTW, physiology has been the easiest class so far.... it just depends whether you are a memorizer or someone who naturally understands interelations of complex systems (the memorizer will hate phys, ie: intuitive type).

sohum.desai said:
I will be matriculating into Texas A&M CoM through a direct medical program one year from now. I have already heard many rumours about gross anatomy and physiology being the two most difficult subject in the first year.

I wanted opinions on whether it would benefit me to begin a self-study of anatomy and physiology. If so, what material would you recommend?
No, No, No. Seriously this is a tale as old as time. Or at least as old as medschool. Don't start studying that stuff now. You really can't hold it in your head for more than a week or so anyhow so you'll be wasting your time. Anyone, who gets into medschool has what it takes to do extremely well there IF they play their cards right and keep their spirits up when they get there.

But that's a giant 'if' my newbie friend. Medschool is not like college. It's more like highschool. A sort of extremely nasty highschool from the lower depths of hell. Talk to people you know who've been through it and try to come up with some sort of plan for how you're going to play things politically/socially once you get there. Find out what kind of changes take place in the class morale and the general behavour of the class as you progress through, especially the first two years. Don't march in there all doe-eyed prepared to go with the flow. You'll need to have your wits about you, young man. Seriously surviving and excelling in medschool is about being smart on every front except the academic one. If you're wise about these less talked about elements of medschool, then you'll find that the actual workload isn't really all that bad. Good luck. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
sohum.desai said:
Thanks for the replies PhoenixSupra & thackl.

What do you mean politically/socially?
I've been as specific as I'm going to be. ;) Let's just say this is where you should focus your attention. If you do, you'll find that the academic side of medschool will fall into place nicely. Good luck.

sohum.desai said:
Let me start again by asking a less specific question. If you were starting med school all over again, what would you do differently that would help you succeed more academically?

first test block, I paid attention to what others were doing, got stressed and convinced myself I couldn't do it and that the way I was doing it was wrong. DON'T PAY ATTENTION TO WHAT OTHERS ARE DOING!!! Find what works for you and go with it. Take it seriously, but not too seriously. Keep your free time and interests outside of school.

What do you mean politically/socially? Do you mean that its very clique-ish?

Socially, med school is a lot like HS again. It's wierd.... just watch what you say and who you say it to. Give it a few wks or months before you decide who to hang out or study with. Let the true colors show.

Good luck

If I were starting over, I would keep up on all of the material instead of letting myself get a couple weeks behind. I think it would actually be easier to keep up on the material then wait and then have a huge amount of studying to do toward the end. I also figured out a lot of strategies for each class, but rather late into the class, so you want to spend some time in the beginning figuring out what works and try something else if one strategy doesn't work.

zeloc said:
If I were starting over, I would keep up on all of the material instead of letting myself get a couple weeks behind. I think it would actually be easier to keep up on the material then wait and then have a huge amount of studying to do toward the end. I also figured out a lot of strategies for each class, but rather late into the class, so you want to spend some time in the beginning figuring out what works and try something else if one strategy doesn't work.

Thats exactly what I was going to say. If I had to do it over again I would NOT study ahead of time like I did and would keep up with studying all the time. The people who are the most successful in med school far and away are the people who study a few hours everyday. Seriously though don't bother studying ahead of time. Med school tests are over meticulous details and there is no way that you could reasonably expect youself to memorize those in advance and then remember them by the time you get to the information. I took a test this morning and already I couldn't tell you half the things I knew when I took the test. The best thing you can do to prepare is to enjoy yourself and get youself emotionally strong and healthy.

sohum.desai said:
I will be matriculating into Texas A&M CoM through a direct medical program one year from now. I have already heard many rumours about gross anatomy and physiology being the two most difficult subject in the first year.

I wanted opinions on whether it would benefit me to begin a self-study of anatomy and physiology. If so, what material would you recommend?

Take Dr. Hoffmans vet anatomy in the summer and Dr. Hermans Physiology. Even though the anatomy is vet, the cross over is amazing.