Self-study or course?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IndigoBoy0

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I was wondering if anyone has any advice about self-studying versus sitting in a classroom course. I have seen they sell all the Kaplan classroom material on ebay but would need CBTs to supplement - I found the gold standrad 10 CBTs but they are apparently more difficult then the actual MCAT. I am in the non trad forum - working 40 hr week, commuting that a course is expensive and time consuming. Not sure if there's a lreadya forum onthis or a self study plan. Plan on taking the May 28 2009 test.

Members don't see this ad.

Sounds like you have a busy week already.

If you are self-motivating and can stick to a schedule without a course "making you do so", I would self-study. Thats what I am doing now and I also plan on taking May 28th.

Simple.

If you are a person that sticks to a study schedule without someone making you, then just study by yourself and get the AAMCs and maybe access to Kaplan online. They have a ton of practice materials.

If you need someone to make you study and help get you motivated or you are plain better when you take a class with others, then take a class and prepare that way.

Basically, you have to determine what is the best way for you to learn the material and test. We can not tell you that. Only you know how you learn the best and what you need to get there.

Once you have this answered, then you can put in the time and work to get a good score.

Self-studying totally works, and Kaplan materials are the among the best out there cause they don't give you a bunch of useless details. However, I would advise getting the Physical science books from TPR cause they were amazingly good, and Kaplan oversimplified their ps a little. Also, verbal, the best one is EK. In terms of Goldstandards practice tests, I haven't heard much about it, but make sure you do the AAMC practice tests toward the end. During the process, the book examples are usually good enough for solidifying your understanding.

Self-studying absolutely works! Gluck!