Semester 1 Done Yay

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrTacoElf

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well semester 1 of Dental school is finished up for me and I managed to pull a 4.0 :D. It all came down to the final waxing practical and I did it :) . Anyway hope everyone had a good semester and I definitely think next semester with head and neck anatomy, physiology, craniofacial development and operative will be a bit more challenging than semester 1 was.

Members don't see this ad.

DrTacoElf said:
Well semester 1 of Dental school is finished up for me and I managed to pull a 4.0 :D. It all came down to the final waxing practical and I did it :) . Anyway hope everyone had a good semester and I definitely think next semester with head and neck anatomy, physiology, craniofacial development and operative will be a bit more challenging than semester 1 was.

Congratulations Taco, if you don't mind, can you tell us soon to be first year's how much you studied and what worked and didn't work for you in achieving this feat. Thank you

Members don't see this ad :)
4.0? Damn dude.

It's good to finally get a break.

1 down 7 more to go...

It's over for me too :) Well at least for 4 weeks.
Time to get drunk , eat, sleep, get fat, and get drunk some more.

Rezdawg said:
4.0? Damn dude.

It's good to finally get a break.

1 down 7 more to go...

Damn. What are you guys doing at BU ? Our semester had ended 3 weeks ago. :D :D :D :D

Blackstars said:
Congratulations Taco, if you don't mind, can you tell us soon to be first year's how much you studied and what worked and didn't work for you in achieving this feat. Thank you

Well for me I always study with "why" in mind. What I mean by this is instead of learning endless ammounts of facts when I study I always try to link in the new material with stuff I already know as well as bridging within itself. That way its not memorizing its understanding and you don't forget. Trends are good to notice too. Also don't study too early you'll just forget it. For me 3-4 days before an exam was best.

DrTacoElf said:
Well for me I always study with "why" in mind. What I mean by this is instead of learning endless ammounts of facts when I study I always try to link in the new material with stuff I already know as well as bridging within itself. That way its not memorizing its understanding and you don't forget. Trends are good to notice too. Also don't study too early you'll just forget it. For me 3-4 days before an exam was best.

I always study with the "why" mindset, but I've realized that sometimes there's no why behind things, and other times there just isn't enough time to figure out why things are the way they are. For example, why does the middle meningeal artery pass between the auriculoemporal nerves? Dunno. Perhaps something with developmental bio.

jk5177 said:
I always study with the "why" mindset, but I've realized that sometimes there's no why behind things, and other times there just isn't enough time to figure out why things are the way they are. For example, why does the middle meningeal artery pass between the auriculoemporal nerves? Dunno. Perhaps something with developmental bio.
Very good point. Its also important to know when you can use this mindset and when you can't. Getting too bogged down into details is also not the best way to study if you use the 3-4 days before approach.

i have a different method of studying.. its called repetition.. read the material once b4 class, listen to it, then read it again to keep it in.. then finally study it for the exam.. time consuming but oh well

jk5177 said:

I also study with "why" in mind. Kind of like, "why the hell would we need to know what the water to powder ratio is for gypsum"

2 more damn tests to go

jk5177 said:
For example, why does the middle meningeal artery pass between the auriculoemporal nerves? Dunno. Perhaps something with developmental bio.

because god started a process that you call evolution (which can't be proven of course) and that's how it ended up... oh wait, intelligent design was stuck down today and rational thought has temporarily been restored to the heartland :laugh:

I am convinced I would be the genius of the Class of like any year before 2000. Academic Robotic gunners are flocking to dental school in masses..You might have seen a post of mine earlier in the semester in TacoElf's waxing thread where I mentioned, " No one has gotten a 4.0 in dental morphology at my school since 1995" just to show how hard it was....but guess what? C/o 2009 had 7 4.0's this semester in d-morph!!!! I put in about 90% effort into it and got 3.0 in the class.......im not worried b/c all my senior students that I do cases with, tell me Im much more of a "real life, get along with great guy" then some of our 4.0 wonder students!! ha

anyways Congrats Taco on the 4.0