Semester Course Load & Summer Classes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PMEDStudent

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thanks a lot!!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello,
I am a freshmen currently in my second semester at Wayne State University.
For my first semester, I took a very small course load of 13 credits. For my current semester, I again am taking a small course load (15 credits).

I regret doing this because I feel that I can handle a large course load (17-18) and still manage to do well. I feel this is true, because it appears I have too much time on my hands.

I really don't want to give medical schools a wrong impression of me.
Should I start doing a 16-18 credit course load for the rest of my undergrad years? I really don't want them to think I can't handle a large course load, so I am really worried about my accomplishments in freshmen year.

Another question..
I am planning on taking Orgo 1+ Lab & Physics1 + Lab for the summer semester, a total of 9 credits. Isn't this considered too low for Med schools? Also, how do medical schools typically view courses you take in the summer time. Can they hurt you in any way?

Thanks a lot!!

the biggest issue w/ taking a small amount of credits is graduating on time. if you continously take 13 credits a semster, will you graduate in four years? at my school you need an average of 16 a semester unless you have transfer credits.

what are you referring to when you say too low? it doesnt matter. if you take a summer class they will look at it. your last question about how med schools view courses is heavily debated on this website. some people will tell you its like the worst thing you can possibly do. others will telll you it doesnt matter if you take them at a school of equal "prestigue" as the one you go to during the regular semester. either way, i wouldnt make a habit of taking all of your pre req courses over the summer. one or two won't kil you though.

Hello,
I am a freshmen currently in my second semester at Wayne State University.
For my first semester, I took a very small course load of 13 credits. For my current semester, I again am taking a small course load (15 credits).

I regret doing this because I feel that I can handle a large course load (17-18) and still manage to do well. I feel this is true, because it appears I have too much time on my hands.

I really don't want to give medical schools a wrong impression of me.
Should I start doing a 16-18 credit course load for the rest of my undergrad years? I really don't want them to think I can't handle a large course load, so I am really worried about my accomplishments in freshmen year.

Another question..
I am planning on taking Orgo 1+ Lab & Physics1 + Lab for the summer semester, a total of 9 credits. Isn't this considered too low for Med schools? Also, how do medical schools typically view courses you take in the summer time. Can they hurt you in any way?

Thanks a lot!!

How many credits do you need to graduate? My college works on the semester system as well, and requires a total of 120 credit hours. Taking 15 hours/semester for 4 years is a normal course load. I was under the impression that this was standard for colleges which work with the semester system.

Your summer course load sounds pretty intense for your first summer. How long is the semester?

Members don't see this ad :)
How many credits do you need to graduate? My college works on the semester system as well, and requires a total of 120 credit hours. Taking 15 hours/semester for 4 years is a normal course load. I was under the impression that this was standard for colleges which work with the semester system.

Your summer course load sounds pretty intense for your first summer. How long is the semester?

I thought so too.
120 credits for a degree:
2 semesters/year x 15 credits/semester x 4 years = 120 credits.

There is no such thing as a "too low" number of course hours in the summer.

There is NOTHING wrong with taking 13 credits the first semester of freshman year. It's actually a good choice to start off with a relatively light load because that semester is a time of adjusting to a new phase in your life. No one is going to look down on that. Fifteen or sixteen hours during the regular Fall and Spring semesters are normal loads. Take them and fill your free time with interesting things to do, or take more credits if you want. Nobody is going to say, "Wow, you took 18 credits each semester!" or, "You only took 15 credits each semester?" Take the extra if you are interested, but don't overload to the point that you don't do as well. Balance is more important than number of credit hours per semester as long as they are within normal range.

I can't imagine 13 credits one semester coming up during interviews or looked at on apps. If 13 credits becomes more of a pattern, be prepared to address why either on your apps, during interviews, or both. No worries:banana: This won't doom you.

Thanks for the responses.

Oddly enough, my advisor says I still have time to squeeze into this online Nutrition and Health class.... which would move my total to 18 credits this semester.

My question is: How do medical schools view courses you take online?

Taking online classes is fine, too. The way most places code classes, no one else would even know it was online unless you told them. It really doesn't matter how you took the class, as long as you did well. If it's a class that you want or need, go ahead. If you're just taking it so that you can show 18 credits for the semester, and aren't really interested in the material, that would be a silly and shallow reason.