Semester Course load

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mayomi

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering do DPT programs look at your course load/GPA by semester? For example if they see in the Spring 2015 semester I took Anatomy and Physiology, General Chemistry II, and also Structural Kinesiology in the same semester and managed to get a A- in Kine, B in Anatomy and physiology, and a B- in General Chemistry II. Would the program consider the fact that these classes are all difficult and time consuming and taking them together had an impact on the grade received in each of them?

Members don't see this ad.

I was wondering do DPT programs look at your course load/GPA by semester? For example if they see in the Spring 2015 semester I took Anatomy and Physiology, General Chemistry II, and also Structural Kinesiology in the same semester and managed to get a A- in Kine, B in Anatomy and physiology, and a B- in General Chemistry II. Would the program consider the fact that these classes are all difficult and time consuming and taking them together had an impact on the grade received in each of them?

I'm going to say no. PT school is a heavier course load than undergraduate, therefore I don't think the schools really care if you took three science courses at once.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm going to say no. PT school is a heavier course load than undergraduate, therefore I don't think the schools really care if you took three science courses at once.
That makes sense. thank you for your input!

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with the above answer....you won't get "credit" in forgiving a lower GPA for harder semesters. Now, on the flip side if you took every one of your pre reqs by itself, they might question your ability to handle a heavy course load. But, you will be expected to carry a heavy course load in PT school so they want to see you can do well in the courses under stress.

Yes, many schools appreciate students who take an course load that more closely resembles what you will see in PT school, as well as students who take science classes above and beyond the basic pre-reqs. However, your schedule will not been seen as a reason to give you "forgiveness" for sub-par grades, particularly a B's and B-'s in core pre-reqs. Taking A&P, Gen chem and a kinesio class at the same time is not rigorous enough for an Adcom member to do a double take. If the rest of your pre-reqs are/end up being solid, I wouldn't stress this semester too, too much. But PT school admissions are getting more and more intensely competitive every year, so you need to make A's from here on out. PT school is like having 7 classes as time consuming as Gen Chem at the same time, so schools want to see that you can handle that, and the only objective way of determining that for everyone is unfortunately GPA.

Reactions: 1 user
I appreciate all the input! Are B's in pre-req classes really viewed that poorly to DPT schools? I already plan on taking a few of my pre-req classes over again now that I know I have the knowledge to achieve an A but as of right now my pre-req GPA does consist of many B's which makes me nervous.

B's itself aren't a problem....it's your overall pre req GPA that matters. The problem with a lot of Bs is that you will have around a 3.0 pre req GPA which is pretty low. I usually advise people to aim for a 3.4 or higher on pre req GPA (but this varies a lot by school and how each school may calculate it).

Also, consider that retaking courses at this point would be more to help you with next cycle's application (as it sounds like you are applying now....so the schools will not see your retake grades or factor them in unless they have later deadlines or interview decisions)