Semester Hours Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

eyesarecool

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering about the importance of taking 6 classes. Is it alright to take just 5 classes (18/19 hours) or do I need to take 6 classes (21 hours)? Which looks better to adcoms?

Members don't see this ad.

You mean in undergrad? 21 credits is A LOT. At my school, you're not even allowed to take over 19 unless you get approval from the department head. I took 18 my very first semester and was on overload. 15-16 is plenty!

I was wondering about the importance of taking 6 classes. Is it alright to take just 5 classes (18/19 hours) or do I need to take 6 classes (21 hours)? Which looks better to adcoms?

I think doing well is alot more important than number of credits taken per term.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think doing well is alot more important than number of credits taken per term.

Agreed! Trying taking only 16-17 your first semester and see how you do. (I still think that is a lot...) If you find you had loads of free time, add another class. The last thing you want is to become overwhelmed and get 6substandard grades that semester. You'll be working the rest of your college career trying to fix that mistake.

Could y'all post how many hours you took each semester?

eyesarecool,

from reading your posts, your main priority seems to be taking the maximum amount of hours each semester. the first semester of college is usually pretty difficult, as you are getting used to an entire new way of studying, note taking, etc. planning to max out each semester is not that great of a plan.
my first semester I took 15 hours and did fine. the next semester I tried to take 19, ended up dropping a class and having 16. I took 6 hours that summer and did well, then I again tried to take 19 hours..but I ended up dropping a class AND failing organic 1. It would have looked MUCH better to just take 12 hours and do well than to do what I did.
I have had a lot of problems staying on task and keeping a study schedule. if you are able to accomplish this, then you may do very well with a large course load. however, I would definitely proceed with caution. Not only did I hurt my GPA, now I have to retake a couple of classes and waste more time.
Best of luck to you!! Don't stress out too much..just take one day at a time.

I'll go into more detail in this thread

Going overtime is NOT necessary. I agree that doing well is more important than loading up on a lot of coursework. When schools say they want to see that you can handle a lot of difficult coursework, I'm pretty sure they mean 1) you don't just take minimum (or close to minimum) credit hours each semester, and 2) you don't just take a bunch of blow-off classes (which would be tough to do while getting in all your pre-reqs).

Things they DO want to see:
  • 15-17 credit hours almost every semester (some exceptions like in PGE's case...if you're working a lot, fewer credit hours can be okay.)
  • Excellent performance in your classes (pre-reqs and otherwise)
  • That you CAN handle full-time course work which includes science classes
  • That you continue to do well as you take on more upper division classes
  • Extra-curriculars and/or work experience (which you won't have time with you if you're studying ALL day long weekdays and weekends)

Bear in mind...science classes have labs, and these are often very time-consuming. You will probably be busy with classes most of the day, and you want to have time to get all your studying in in the evenings.

I took 16.5 to 17.5 each semester except for my last. My last semester was 13.5 or 14.5...I can't remember for sure. 1.5 of this was music (orchestra and quartet)...which was like labs in that it's little credit for a lot of a time commitment. :p

Anywhere from 12 to 18. I did 18 for 2 semesters, 17 for 1, 15 for 2 and 12 for 2. Both of the semesters that I only took 12 credits, I was taking 3 science classes w/ labs.

i just want to specify on my situation... i have already received a degree but just now decided that i wanted to do optometry so pretty much i'm stuck with just the pre-reqs. so far i was testing the waters and have been taking only 12 hours (meaning mainly science courses with maybe a required math class). see the problem is they want you to take 15 hours including core curriculum classes, but trying to take 15 hours of science courses seems a bit iffy to me on how my grades will be.... so i guess my question kinda is would they compare taking 15 hours of classes to be equal to taking 12 of just science classes?

I already had a degree and the last few years I've been taking all the prereqs and the classes that are recommended. I took like 2 science classes per semester and their labs. I got mostly A's and a few B's. I worked full time and sometimes overtime while I was completing the prereqs. So as long as you do GREAT in your prereq's you'll be fine. Taking more than 3 science classes and their labs may be too much because you have to get great grades. It looks better to get 2 A's and 1 B then 2 B's and 2 C's.

I took 17 this semester and ended with a 3.86 GPA. I'm gonna take 10 this summer and I'll probably up my 17 to maybe 19 in the fall.

i just want to specify on my situation... i have already received a degree but just now decided that i wanted to do optometry so pretty much i'm stuck with just the pre-reqs. so far i was testing the waters and have been taking only 12 hours (meaning mainly science courses with maybe a required math class). see the problem is they want you to take 15 hours including core curriculum classes, but trying to take 15 hours of science courses seems a bit iffy to me on how my grades will be.... so i guess my question kinda is would they compare taking 15 hours of classes to be equal to taking 12 of just science classes?

In optometry school you will be taking 6-8 classes. All sciences.