semester off

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hobbes007

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey.. just had a question about time off.
i'm graduating in december and then planning on going to medical school in the fall. i have no clue what i am going to do in those six months between. so, if anyone who was in a similar situation or knows someone who was could give me some ideas that would be great. are there any six-month fellowships or internships out there. it doesn't necessarily have to be in the medical field. i just want to know about everything available. i would also like to be payed, preferably (gotta start financing medical school!!)
thanks!
hobbes

Members don't see this ad.

Well, you can try working as a research assistant, or maybe working as a lab assistnat at your school.
GOOD LUCK

I think Carl's Jr. offers a six month "fast track to fast food" internship. After a training period, you can operate the fryer all by yourself, and the position is paid.

Just kidding...

Why don't you check with your college career office? They will have info about different internships available to students. I know oter students take semester-long internships DURING school, so your career advisers should be able to help you find something for post-grad. The only thing is, Carl's may end up paying more than these internships.

Or, you could take a long-term position and just lie about your plans to go to school in the fall :D This is a popular choice, too. You can justify it-- if when you take the position, you don't have any outright acceptances, you don't KNOW you're going to med school in August!

Good luck!

~Alison

my situation was like yours.... i finished school early in 3 years and one semester -- so i was done in december. i thought to myself do I travel, be a bum and party, or work? eventually i applied to a bunch of companies -- biotech, healthcare, and pharma sales rep positions. I got two offers, and started work right after graduating, pretty cool in this job market... seeing my friends who actually needed jobs not getting them....

So..... already being admitted to med school when I applied, I was a little guilty cuz I knew i wouldn't be there for long. RULE #1 don't tell the hiring manager that you are going to med school, they won't hire you..... I kinda fibbed when they asked me what my career ideas were, I didn't tell them anything!!! I just quit a couple weeks ago because of the stress, but now I have 6 months of job experience, and will start med school at USC most likely in August. It was a good thing, I made a good chunk of money, almost enough for 1st year tuition at USC (eeeek), and I got to have fun out of school.

So GO FOR IT ! message me if you want some companies that might hire you.