Send thank you notes to interviewer

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

qwerty86

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do lot of you guys send thank you notes to the interviewers

Members don't see this ad.

the first 2 interviews i had i sent them (one rejection and haven't heard from the other school) and for the third i didn't because i forgot (subsequent acceptance). basically it's courteous but won't have a bearing on the decision made.

I didn't send any to anyone. I wanted to, but I kept putting it off - then it was too late. I sometimes wonder if it would have made a difference at the schools I havn't been accepted to, but who knows.

But, I wish I would have done it - at least to be courteous. They must think I'm the most inconsiderate person ever (they probably don't, but sometimes I wonder).

That's all.

Members don't see this ad :)
i think i'll send thank you emails for my last interview, (so they get there before the adcomm's meet). i agree with the above; it's courteous, but not absolutely necessary.

For those with borderline stats (like myself), I believe this is an absolute must! It can’t hurt, and we need any small advantage we can get.

Think of it as another way to get your name out there. With all the applications they looked at, interviews they gave, it’s easy for you to get lost in the mess. If two weeks later (around the time they’re making decisions), your letter pops into the office, it will automatically make them think of you and what they liked about you in the first place.

I was 2 for 2 with thank you letters. Did it make the difference? I’ll never know, but it was worth the chance.

I usually just emailed them and thanked them for thier time... but i doubt it made any difference at all..... either way i don't think it can hurt, and at worst it just gets your name out there again.

I didn't write any thank you notes and got into 6 schools. Think of all the applications the school is looking at. I don't really know if one thank you note is going to do anything.

I think it's unnecessary. They make their decisions based on the personality you present during your interview. I highly doubt sending a thank you note has any bearing on their mind. It is a nice gesture, but a bit much I think.

It seems to me like certain schools or interviewers care much more than others about getting a follow-up from you. For instance, at Buffalo, they handed out the interviewers' business cards, which seems to suggest to me that they REALLY want you to at least send a thank you e-mail.

I think sending a card directly to the admissions office (or dean of admissions if you met them during the interview) is generally a good idea because they'll probably stick it in your file and the committee will at least see it and may appreciate it when reviewing your file. If you're going to send something to the person who interviewed you, I'd just send an e-mail.

Regardless of whether schools care or not it is courteous to send a thank you note. I did that at Buffalo and BU. Now onto to Tufts.

I dated a woman that applied to like 20 schools and got rejected at 18 and waitlisted at two. She sent thank you notes to all who interviewed her. She was finally accepted off the waitlist and was told that she was chosen above the others because she was the only one to bother sending a note.

I dated a woman that applied to like 20 schools and got rejected at 18 and waitlisted at two. She sent thank you notes to all who interviewed her. She was finally accepted off the waitlist and was told that she was chosen above the others because she was the only one to bother sending a note.

I was about to say don't waste your time, but if even one person got a boost because of their thank-you letters, I'd say do it! I didn't send anything, though (I didn't even send my parents a Christmas card, though, so...)

This one dental student told me that their dean particularly liked them because students seemed like they cared enough to send postage. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

YES I did to all the schools I interviewed at! Louisville and Columbia (Dr. M) actually replied back to me! ;)
I believe the student interviewer from UNC wrote me back as well.

Do lot of you guys send thank you notes to the interviewers

(I didn't even send my parents a Christmas card, though, so...)

Yeah me neither .... I didn't send any written thank you letters, but I don't think it could hurt to send them... so if I had it to do all over again I would stop being lazy and send them.

i sent to two of them but just because i felt that they were almost at a personal level with me...but the other two were pretty standard and one of them was a group interview so i didn't. those that i e-mail actually sent back wishing me best of luck...
def not a must but if u feel like that person was extra nice then do it