SilverBandCry!

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 30, 2005
157
0
Status
Pre-Medical
When is the earliest that you can submit your application? Also is it to your advantage to send it as soon as possible?

Thanks
 

NCF145

Not Politically Correct
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Oct 13, 2005
3,138
3
The Beach
Status
Resident [Any Field]
SilverBandCry! said:
When is the earliest that you can submit your application? Also is it to your advantage to send it as soon as possible?

Thanks
June 5th. Yes.
 

Ginkneephur

Insane Since 1984
10+ Year Member
Mar 30, 2006
368
1
FL
Status
Medical Student
You could start submitting your amcas app on june 5th. the earlier the better i'd say.
 
About the Ads
OP
S

SilverBandCry!

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 30, 2005
157
0
Status
Pre-Medical
What if you sent your application and transcript on July 1. Is that too late? Is it better to submit on June 5 rather than July 1? I'm planning ahead for next year because I was planning to take biochem in the summer and my grade would be in by July 1.

If not, I would have to work biochem into my schedule for this fall and so that is why I am asking

Thanks!
 

Robizzle

1K Member
10+ Year Member
May 28, 2006
2,831
10
Boston & NYC
Status
Medical Student
SilverBandCry! said:
What if you sent your application and transcript on July 1. Is that too late? Is it better to submit on June 5 rather than July 1? I'm planning ahead for next year because I was planning to take biochem in the summer and my grade would be in by July 1.

If not, I would have to work biochem into my schedule for this fall and so that is why I am asking

Thanks!
your grade would be in july 1 but then u'd have to send the transcript, it would then take about 3-4 weeks to be processed. then ur app would be in line for review which would take another 3-4 weeks to verify.
 

xanthomondo

nom nom nom
Removed
10+ Year Member
Apr 2, 2006
15,650
21
the island of Doctor Moreau
Status
Resident [Any Field]
SilverBandCry! said:
What if you sent your application and transcript on July 1. Is that too late? Is it better to submit on June 5 rather than July 1? I'm planning ahead for next year because I was planning to take biochem in the summer and my grade would be in by July 1.

If not, I would have to work biochem into my schedule for this fall and so that is why I am asking

Thanks!
youre flirting with the long verification times at that point

your grade will be in by july 1, so then you wouldnt be able to send your transcripts until that day...and ive seen some people have massive problems with them

but assuming everything goes well it might be 2 weeks before amcas acknowledges having them and all, you might not be "active" until the end of july
 
OP
S

SilverBandCry!

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 30, 2005
157
0
Status
Pre-Medical
Robizzle said:
your grade would be in july 1 but then u'd have to send the transcript, it would then take about 3-4 weeks to be processed. then ur app would be in line for review which would take another 3-4 weeks to verify.
Ok thanks. So this would put me at a real disadvantage then? So I would be better off taking biochem this fall? I am a NY resident, so I planning to apply to the SUNY schools and some others in NY
 

xanthomondo

nom nom nom
Removed
10+ Year Member
Apr 2, 2006
15,650
21
the island of Doctor Moreau
Status
Resident [Any Field]
SilverBandCry! said:
Ok thanks. So this would put me at a real disadvantage then? So I would be better off taking biochem this fall? I am a NY resident, so I planning to apply to the SUNY schools and some others in NY
i dont think that having taken vs planning to take biochem will make or break you...do you have all the prereq's completed?
 
OP
S

SilverBandCry!

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 30, 2005
157
0
Status
Pre-Medical
taylormade44 said:
youre flirting with the long verification times at that point

your grade will be in by july 1, so then you wouldnt be able to send your transcripts until that day...and ive seen some people have massive problems with them

but assuming everything goes well it might be 2 weeks before amcas acknowledges having them and all, you might not be "active" until the end of july
Thanks! So I think it's best that I take the class this fall then?
 
OP
S

SilverBandCry!

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 30, 2005
157
0
Status
Pre-Medical
taylormade44 said:
i dont think that having taken vs planning to take biochem will make or break you...do you have all the prereq's completed?
Yeah I've completed all the prereqs except for biochem.
 

ADeadLois

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
Dec 18, 2005
3,158
6
Status
Medical Student
SilverBandCry! said:
Yeah I've completed all the prereqs except for biochem.
Off the top of my head, Michigan and one of the two Case programs require biochem. A majority don't.
 

Johnny_one_eye

Phleboptimist
10+ Year Member
Jun 21, 2006
166
0
Chicago
Status
Medical Student
SilverBandCry! said:
Thanks! So I think it's best that I take the class this fall then?
So I think what he was saying is that even if biochem is a pre-req for a school, you don't need to have it done by the time you apply, just by the time you matriculate. Therefore you don't need to worry about waiting until July 1 and rushing AMCAS your transcripts because it's probably not going to affect your application. You can indicate on AMCAS what courses are 'in progress' and planning to be taken.
Also, just FYI on the June 5th submission. I think it's normally June 1 (got pushed back this year I think). And like the others said, the earlier the better probably (although next year it'll be different with all the computerized MCAT scores being done with.
 

Punkn

at the Christie Rd tracks
10+ Year Member
Sep 21, 2005
596
12
Status
Attending Physician
Also, keep in mind that you can update schools about your summer grades. That's what I'm doing this year. I sent in my AMCAS in early June and was verified in about 3 days. I sent e-mails to schools when I got my grades for the first summer session in late June. I'll do the same thing next week when the second session ends.
 
OP
S

SilverBandCry!

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 30, 2005
157
0
Status
Pre-Medical
Punkn said:
Also, keep in mind that you can update schools about your summer grades. That's what I'm doing this year. I sent in my AMCAS in early June and was verified in about 3 days. I sent e-mails to schools when I got my grades for the first summer session in late June. I'll do the same thing next week when the second session ends.
So would they recalculate your GPA again then?

thanks
 

joanofarc0907

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 6, 2006
550
3
Status
Resident [Any Field]
SilverBandCry! said:
So would they recalculate your GPA again then?

thanks
Probably not since AMCAS does this, but they would take into consideration the new grades you send them. I agree with all the others. If you want to take it in the summer go ahead, just put it as a future course. Don't hold up your application because of biochem. As long as you have it before you enter medical school you should be more than fine.
 

Haemulon

Slippery When Wet
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 1, 2006
3,596
2
On SDN
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Hopefully the OP is asking for next year. But there is still plenty of time to submit this year, but you should do so soon as you will be more on the average or slightly early side now than genuinely early.
 
About the Ads