Sending AMCAS early?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SilverBandCry!

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
When is the earliest that you can submit your application? Also is it to your advantage to send it as soon as possible?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

SilverBandCry! said:
When is the earliest that you can submit your application? Also is it to your advantage to send it as soon as possible?

Thanks

June 5th. Yes.

You could start submitting your amcas app on june 5th. the earlier the better i'd say.

Members don't see this ad :)
People have been submitting them since the middle of June. Today is actually the deadline for early decision. Yes it is better to send them in early, because you get secondaries soon, and some schools are on rolling admission.

What if you sent your application and transcript on July 1. Is that too late? Is it better to submit on June 5 rather than July 1? I'm planning ahead for next year because I was planning to take biochem in the summer and my grade would be in by July 1.

If not, I would have to work biochem into my schedule for this fall and so that is why I am asking

Thanks!

SilverBandCry! said:
What if you sent your application and transcript on July 1. Is that too late? Is it better to submit on June 5 rather than July 1? I'm planning ahead for next year because I was planning to take biochem in the summer and my grade would be in by July 1.

If not, I would have to work biochem into my schedule for this fall and so that is why I am asking

Thanks!

your grade would be in july 1 but then u'd have to send the transcript, it would then take about 3-4 weeks to be processed. then ur app would be in line for review which would take another 3-4 weeks to verify.

SilverBandCry! said:

Thanks!

youre flirting with the long verification times at that point

your grade will be in by july 1, so then you wouldnt be able to send your transcripts until that day...and ive seen some people have massive problems with them

but assuming everything goes well it might be 2 weeks before amcas acknowledges having them and all, you might not be "active" until the end of july

Robizzle said:
your grade would be in july 1 but then u'd have to send the transcript, it would then take about 3-4 weeks to be processed. then ur app would be in line for review which would take another 3-4 weeks to verify.

Ok thanks. So this would put me at a real disadvantage then? So I would be better off taking biochem this fall? I am a NY resident, so I planning to apply to the SUNY schools and some others in NY

SilverBandCry! said:
Ok thanks. So this would put me at a real disadvantage then? So I would be better off taking biochem this fall? I am a NY resident, so I planning to apply to the SUNY schools and some others in NY

i dont think that having taken vs planning to take biochem will make or break you...do you have all the prereq's completed?

taylormade44 said:
youre flirting with the long verification times at that point

your grade will be in by july 1, so then you wouldnt be able to send your transcripts until that day...and ive seen some people have massive problems with them

but assuming everything goes well it might be 2 weeks before amcas acknowledges having them and all, you might not be "active" until the end of july

Thanks! So I think it's best that I take the class this fall then?

taylormade44 said:
i dont think that having taken vs planning to take biochem will make or break you...do you have all the prereq's completed?

Yeah I've completed all the prereqs except for biochem.

SilverBandCry! said:

not many schools require biochem as a prereq...and if you include it in the future classes for amcas i dont think it would matter

SilverBandCry! said:

Off the top of my head, Michigan and one of the two Case programs require biochem. A majority don't.

SilverBandCry! said:
Thanks! So I think it's best that I take the class this fall then?
So I think what he was saying is that even if biochem is a pre-req for a school, you don't need to have it done by the time you apply, just by the time you matriculate. Therefore you don't need to worry about waiting until July 1 and rushing AMCAS your transcripts because it's probably not going to affect your application. You can indicate on AMCAS what courses are 'in progress' and planning to be taken.
Also, just FYI on the June 5th submission. I think it's normally June 1 (got pushed back this year I think). And like the others said, the earlier the better probably (although next year it'll be different with all the computerized MCAT scores being done with.

Also, keep in mind that you can update schools about your summer grades. That's what I'm doing this year. I sent in my AMCAS in early June and was verified in about 3 days. I sent e-mails to schools when I got my grades for the first summer session in late June. I'll do the same thing next week when the second session ends.

Punkn said:
Also, keep in mind that you can update schools about your summer grades. That's what I'm doing this year. I sent in my AMCAS in early June and was verified in about 3 days. I sent e-mails to schools when I got my grades for the first summer session in late June. I'll do the same thing next week when the second session ends.

So would they recalculate your GPA again then?

thanks

SilverBandCry! said:
So would they recalculate your GPA again then?

thanks

Probably not since AMCAS does this, but they would take into consideration the new grades you send them. I agree with all the others. If you want to take it in the summer go ahead, just put it as a future course. Don't hold up your application because of biochem. As long as you have it before you enter medical school you should be more than fine.

Hopefully the OP is asking for next year. But there is still plenty of time to submit this year, but you should do so soon as you will be more on the average or slightly early side now than genuinely early.