Sending GRE scores, PTCAS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dpt12

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I took my GRE back in March, so I called all of the schools I marked down at that time to see if they had gotten my scores. One of them did, but the other three said that they were getting scores directly through PTCAS.

Does anyone know what this means? My understanding is that you enter your GRE scores in PTCAS, and then have an official score report sent to that school by ETS. Is this right?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I took my GRE back in March, so I called all of the schools I marked down at that time to see if they had gotten my scores. One of them did, but the other three said that they were getting scores directly through PTCAS.

Does anyone know what this means? My understanding is that you enter your GRE scores in PTCAS, and then have an official score report sent to that school by ETS. Is this right?

Thanks!

I'm curious about this too. I sent my GRE scores directly to one school I'm sure I'm applying to, but I'm not sure if PTCAS can directly send scores or what. I'll let someone who knows more about this answer.

You do enter your GRE scores on the PTCAS application but the testing service (ETS) has to send the official report of your scores to the schools you designate. Unless something has changed with this year's application cycle??

Members don't see this ad :)
I believe it is different...when I called PTCAS they told me that ETS needs to send it to the program code, and that PTCAS will get the scores as well. I was a bit confused.

I believe it is different...when I called PTCAS they told me that ETS needs to send it to the program code, and that PTCAS will get the scores as well. I was a bit confused.

If a PT program has a "new" GRE code, PTCAS will receive the official GRE scores from ETS for that program. A program with a "new" GRE code MAY also receive official GRE scores from ETS in addition to PTCAS. Each program with a "new" code chose to have ETS send scores for that code either (1) only to PTCAS or (2) to PTCAS and the institution.

Some programs do not have "new" GRE codes and still want scores to come directly to them using the same GRE codes as in the past. In other words, if a program has a "university" GRE code, PTCAS will NOT receive official scores from ETS for that program's code.

Therefore, it is very important that you send your GRE scores to the correct code for EVERY program you will apply to. If you don't, the program may not consider your file complete even if your official GRE scores are forwarded to it through PTCAS.

http://www.ptcas.org/GREbyProgram.html

Last edited:
If a PT program has a "new" GRE code, PTCAS will receive the official GRE scores from ETS for that program. A program with a "new" GRE code MAY also receive official GRE scores from ETS in addition to PTCAS. Each program with a "new" code chose to have ETS send scores for that code either (1) only to PTCAS or (2) to PTCAS and the institution.

Some programs do not have "new" GRE codes and still want scores to come directly to them using the same GRE codes as in the past. In other words, if a program has a "university" GRE code, PTCAS will NOT receive official scores from ETS for that program's code.

Therefore, it is very important that you send your GRE scores to the correct code for EVERY program you will apply to. If you don't, the program may not consider your file complete even if your official GRE scores are forwarded to it through PTCAS.

http://www.ptcas.org/GREbyProgram.html

So basically just ensure that your GRE scores are sent from ETS to the codes associated with the schools to which you're applying? There isn't any need for action on my part to have ETS send scores to PTCAS if I have ETS send the scores to the school codes?

So basically just ensure that your GRE scores are sent from ETS to the codes associated with the schools to which you're applying? There isn't any need for action on my part to have ETS send scores to PTCAS if I have ETS send the scores to the school codes?

That's correct. As long as you enter the correct GRE codes for every PT program you will apply to, ETS will automatically send your official GRE scores to the right place. There is no "extra" step to have your official scores sent to directly to PTCAS.

That's correct. As long as you enter the correct GRE codes for every PT program you will apply to, ETS will automatically send your official GRE scores to the right place. There is no "extra" step to have your official scores sent to directly to PTCAS.

Cool, thanks! This forum is such a help!

My recent experience: I got thinking,
Why pay the extra $$23 to ETS for GRE if PTCAS program codes are marked "new" if according to the 2011-12 cycle Program Manual p. 25 "
"""If an applicant designates a PTCAS program with a new GRE code, then ETS will send the official scores to PTCAS. PTCAS will share those official GRE scores with ALL of the applicant's designated programs in PTCAS, regardless of the GRE college code(s). """
So..........I started calling / emailing my schools and many of them are saying they will accept the verified PTCAS GRE scores. They can see them, they are verified .......... YEAH!!!!! money saved. Hope this isn't too late to help some of you. Good Luck.

Last edited:
My recent experience: I got thinking,
Why pay the extra $$23 to ETS for GRE if PTCAS program codes are marked "new" if according to the 2011-12 cycle Program Manual p. 25 "
"""If an applicant designates a PTCAS program with a new GRE code, then ETS will send the official scores to PTCAS. PTCAS will share those official GRE scores with ALL of the applicant's designated programs in PTCAS, regardless of the GRE college code(s). """
So..........I started calling / emailing my schools and many of them are saying they will accept the verified PTCAS GRE scores. They can see them, they are verified .......... YEAH!!!!! money saved. Hope this isn't too late to help some of you. Good Luck.
Well spank my butt and call me Sally!!!! This is awesome, just as I was thinking about how I was going to find the money to pay ETS. This forum is great!

Strongly advise you check w/ each individule school. Use the quote and page # I noted....... Keep a copy of the email, or name of person you spoke w/ etc. CYA!!!