Sending Letters of Recommendation Later in the App Cycle?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

waffle23

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I've been reading that apparently people have letters that they have sort of on hold, and that they are waiting to submit to med schools later on in the cycle. I'm guessing the rationale behind this is that it gives you something to update med schools with several weeks or months after you submit your apps. I guess this is basically sort of a reminder that you exist and maybe some icing on the cake.

I have an extra letter that I am planning on submitting to med schools. My question is, should I submit it now just to let med schools know about it right away (apparently he rights really awesome recs)? Or should I have the recommendation sit for a little while and wait to submit for the above reasons? I should note that this is an "optional" rec in the sense that I already have a committee letter being sent out, fulfilling all the med school requirements, so this one is extra. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

If you use AMCAS, you can pick and choose which schools get individual letters (note: if a group of letters comes as part of a packet, you have to send the entire packet). Thus, you can submit the letter to AMCAS but choose not to send it to schools if you want.

Holding a letter back just to submit it later seems like a really stupid idea, so if you're going to submit a letter you should just send it.

So I've been reading that apparently people have letters that they have sort of on hold, and that they are waiting to submit to med schools later on in the cycle. I'm guessing the rationale behind this is that it gives you something to update med schools with several weeks or months after you submit your apps. I guess this is basically sort of a reminder that you exist and maybe some icing on the cake.

I have an extra letter that I am planning on submitting to med schools. My question is, should I submit it now just to let med schools know about it right away (apparently he rights really awesome recs)? Or should I have the recommendation sit for a little while and wait to submit for the above reasons? I should note that this is an "optional" rec in the sense that I already have a committee letter being sent out, fulfilling all the med school requirements, so this one is extra. Thanks!

I'm not sure how often this actually happens. When it does happen, I think the individual sending the additional LOR is usually in some stage of "hold" or on the waitlist. If this guy writes really awesome LORs though, you may want to submit it to your schools along with the rest of your letters.