sending updates while on waitlist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futuredoc0307

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So i have been waitlisted at school A (top choice) and currently waiting to hear back from school B and C. I also have an acceptance to a DO. I understand i can write a letter of intent to school A, but only after i get accepted to school B or C so it would be convincing (I believe).

question 1: I just finished putting together my research poster that i will be presenting at a national research conference in 3 days. Can i upload my poster to the portal as an update for the school i got waitlisted on? I kinda briefly mentioned it in the interview but it was not formally mentioned on my AMCAS application.

question 2: Would a letter of intent be convincing if I mention i have an acceptance at a DO school? i believe this DO school is ranked 1 among DOs. or should i wait and see if i get into school B or C? any input is appreciated!

@Goro

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
So i have been waitlisted at school A (top choice) and currently waiting to hear back from school B and C. I also have an acceptance to a DO. I understand i can write a letter of intent to school A, but only after i get accepted to school B or C so it would be convincing (I believe).

question 1: I just finished putting together my research poster that i will be presenting at a national research conference in 3 days. Can i upload my poster to the portal as an update for the school i got waitlisted on? I kinda briefly mentioned it in the interview but it was not formally mentioned on my AMCAS application.

question 2: Would a letter of intent be convincing if I mention i have an acceptance at a DO school? i believe this DO school is ranked 1 among DOs. or should i wait and see if i get into school B or C? any input is appreciated!

@Goro
1) The poster itself as an update? No, don't go there.
2) No MD school is going to care that you have an accept at a DO school. Many of them won't care that you have an accept to other MD schools. It's a seller's market. Let's put it this way:
If you tell Harvard you have an accept to Drexel, Harvard will say "Have fun at Drexel"
If you tell my DO school that you have an accept at another DO school, we'll say "Have fun there"
If you tell my DO school that you have an accept at an MD school, we'll say "Have fun there"
If you tell Albany that you have an accept at Drexel, Albany will say "Have fun at Drexel"
If you tell Harvard that you have an accept at Stanford, they might be interested
If you tell Drexel that you have an accept at Harvard, they might be interested.

And if you still don't believe me, read these:
HomeSkool's Guide to Letters of Intent

Second letter of intent? Help!

@Goro

School A has passed judgement on your application. Look at the school-specific thread from last year and see if you can figure out when waitlist movement begins. A LOI a couple of weeks before that may be helpful this cycle, mainly because the multiple acceptance reports will no longer be available.

Mentioning other acceptances can help your case or it can backfire, as the school may not want to compete for your attention. This phenomenon may be more pronounced this year, again since the multiple acceptance reports have gone bye bye.

Upload anything you wish to the school's portal. Nobody will look at it, but it may make you feel better.

Reactions: 1 user