Senior in college, planning for a Post-bacc

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gleeshae

Reaction score
Hi all, I'm going into my senior year of college as a psychology major and I've decided to go for a pre-med post-bacc after I graduate. I have a few questions on how to manage my last year in college.

Firstly, should I do any pre-med courses during this last year? I know these post-baccs like to see that you've done less than half of the required courses. I just don't want to waste a year, I would like to minimize the post-bacc to 12-18 months.

If I don't take any pre-med courses, I only need 25 credits for my major to graduate. I could take 18 this semester and 9 next semester, thus saving me like $5k (although thankfully money isn't really a problem for me). I'd also free up time next semester to focus on shadowing and volunteering. Or I could add a couple classes to throw on a philosophy minor, putting me at 30 credits left.
Would post-bacc programs want to see me do a full schedule of classes? What would be better for getting me into a top post-bacc?

Secondly, how competitive/selective are the top programs with linkages? I have a cGPA of 3.49 and sGPA of 3.35, 1510 SAT and a bit of volunteering/research. I supposed I'd be competing with career-changers who have had many more years of experience and a whole life story. How can I maximize my chances of actually getting in?

Any advice would be so appreciated! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Do you have an idea what programs you are looking at and whether you have to start from scratch in your portrayed with them? Are those classes taught separately from the main undergrad cohort or are you taking the classes and labs with dozens of freshmen? What study groups can you form now versus as a postbac? I would get a little out of place if my study buddies are first-semester freshmen.

I would check with your academic advisor about finishing your degree first. The minor is a plus and you should do it if it really interests you. But being in a huge weed out class my senior year would not sound like a lot of fun to me. Bulk up your community volunteering and clinical exposure when you can.