senior in undergrad, what are my chances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

bucaneer19

Full Member
2+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey everyone!

I'm currently applying to SMPs (Georgetown, Tulane, Boston, etc.) and plan on applying next cycle, I wanted to get a gauge from others about what I could improve on my application, what my chances are. My cGPA is 3.27 and sGPA is 3.3, my MCAT is a 497 but I'm retaking it again in April. I have leadership experience which has also allowed me to provide community service in different capacities (food kitchens, free HIV test clinics, and working wtih international organizations). I have also been volunteering at hospice for about 5 months now and will continue that. I have also been working in a biochem lab for 3+ years doing research and leading my own projects. I'm also a teaching assistant for general chemistry/ organic chemistry students. I'm also a biological anthropology major so I'm hoping that can be factored into my med school applications.

I am aware of the fact that SMPs don't count towards undergrad GPAs and that there is no guarantee that I will get into medical school after I've completed the program. Any advice or concerns would be helpful!!
 
Gpa/Mcat does not show an ability to perform well in medical school. improve them both. I currently give you a 0.1-5% chance.
 
Why are you retaking the MCAT in April? IMO I think you have so many activities that there is little time left for studying. (Do you have shadowing? ). If you get into a SMP you need to get a 3.7+GPA or it’s game over. Are you against DO? That path might be more viable than MD will ever be!
 
Take a look at podiatry school. You have the stats to get in without a post-bacc. You might find it interesting.