senior in undergrad, what are my chances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bucaneer19

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone!

I'm currently applying to SMPs (Georgetown, Tulane, Boston, etc.) and plan on applying next cycle, I wanted to get a gauge from others about what I could improve on my application, what my chances are. My cGPA is 3.27 and sGPA is 3.3, my MCAT is a 497 but I'm retaking it again in April. I have leadership experience which has also allowed me to provide community service in different capacities (food kitchens, free HIV test clinics, and working wtih international organizations). I have also been volunteering at hospice for about 5 months now and will continue that. I have also been working in a biochem lab for 3+ years doing research and leading my own projects. I'm also a teaching assistant for general chemistry/ organic chemistry students. I'm also a biological anthropology major so I'm hoping that can be factored into my med school applications.

I am aware of the fact that SMPs don't count towards undergrad GPAs and that there is no guarantee that I will get into medical school after I've completed the program. Any advice or concerns would be helpful!!

Members don't see this ad.

Gpa/Mcat does not show an ability to perform well in medical school. improve them both. I currently give you a 0.1-5% chance.

Reactions: 1 user
Why are you retaking the MCAT in April? IMO I think you have so many activities that there is little time left for studying. (Do you have shadowing? ). If you get into a SMP you need to get a 3.7+GPA or it’s game over. Are you against DO? That path might be more viable than MD will ever be!

Take a look at podiatry school. You have the stats to get in without a post-bacc. You might find it interesting.