senioritis and omfs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chigwaeuisa

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi I'm a first year dental student. I started off my semester very successfully and I have a strong interest in omfs. I researched and there says that about 59percent of the 6 year omfs programs consider undergrad GPA very important. Here I have a little concern. At the time I was applying to dental schools I had 3.7 GPA but during my 4th year in college I messed up because there were so many dramas. I finished with the overall 4 year GPA of 3.621 and science GPA somewhere in the 3.5s. I am confident that I can excel even better at dental school(because I'm more mature) but I don't know how much my poor college 4th year performance will have bad effect on my resume. What do you all think? i know 3.621 ain't bad already but I think my steep downfall trend in 4th year does not look so good.
What would you say is the safe zone in terms of undergrad GPA?
I will appreciate any comments. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

That's too bad you messed up. It will definitely be an uphill battle, but I suppose there's always a chance.

dude, don't sweat it. your dental school rank and board scores are far, far more important than your undergrad GPA. you made it into dental school and that's what counts. not to mention a 3.61 isn't shabby.

also- there is nothing you can do about your lax senior year now, so use that as motivation to excel in dental school to eliminate any skepticism a OMFS program may have when evaluating your file.

Hup

Members don't see this ad :)
dude, don't sweat it. your dental school rank and board scores are far, far more important than your undergrad GPA. you made it into dental school and that's what counts. not to mention a 3.61 isn't shabby.

also- there is nothing you can do about your lax senior year now, so use that as motivation to excel in dental school to eliminate any skepticism a OMFS program may have when evaluating your file.

Hup

see the thing is we don't have ranking and my class will have pass/fail board. But I know that i can use my poor senior year peformance as a motivation to do even better during dental school, thanks for reminding me of that:).

Hi I'm a first year dental student. I started off my semester very successfully and I have a strong interest in omfs. I researched and there says that about 59percent of the 6 year omfs programs consider undergrad GPA very important. Here I have a little concern. At the time I was applying to dental schools I had 3.7 GPA but during my 4th year in college I messed up because there were so many dramas. I finished with the overall 4 year GPA of 3.621 and science GPA somewhere in the 3.5s. I am confident that I can excel even better at dental school(because I'm more mature) but I don't know how much my poor college 4th year performance will have bad effect on my resume. What do you all think? i know 3.621 ain't bad already but I think my steep downfall trend in 4th year does not look so good.
What would you say is the safe zone in terms of undergrad GPA?
I will appreciate any comments. Thank you.

dude guess what? all of your class will have that average in undergrad or even better its a fact of life.

The omfs will base their decision on how much you kiss their butts in the next 4 years, your board scores, and your class rank in dental school.
screw undergrad it will not mean squat.

also, don't think you will do better in dental school.
I graduated with a 3.9 overall GPA and 3.8 science gpa. I work 10x harder in dental school than I did in undergrad and I have a 3.25 overall GPA and my board scores were passing but nothing to be so excited over.

Just start dental school and you will see.

my best advice:

1. start drinking coffee to stay alert and awake
2. get old exams from upper classmen
3. bust every first exam of each class, they are always the higher of the grades as the classes get harder as they progress.
4. Never ever ask a question in class, try to go unnoticed!
5. Kiss all the professor's asses outside of class. drink with the ones who drink and go to church with the ones who go to church!!!

With these 5 things alone you will be successful in dental school.:cool:

also, don't think you will do better in dental school.
I graduated with a 3.9 overall GPA and 3.8 science gpa. I work 10x harder in dental school than I did in undergrad and I have a 3.25 overall GPA and my board scores were passing but nothing to be so excited over.

Just start dental school and you will see.
My dental school GPA was way better than my undergrad GPA, and my board scores were high. I did work 10x harder in dental school, though. It can happen.

Vertical's right on about board scores and class rank, though. And butt kissing is overrated.

sounds like your screwed, you better look into perio or settle on being a gp.

what is the undergrad GPA that a person can have and not be worried about it? Is 3.62 undergrad GPA something that would give me some hard time down the road? I know it has no point of worrying about it whatsoever, but as a curious human being, I just want to see what the "more experienced" residents/omfs applicants think on this forum.

Lastly, I've finished a semester at dental school, so I already know what is up and what it takes to do well in dental school. It's ALOT of hardwork i know and I've been doing that so please don't think i'm one of those newly admitted students who put horse before cart.

YES, I'm very obstinate...once i get hold of something I can't let go..haha...maybe I have too much time during the break all of a sudden so I am wasting alot of time worrying. But who cares right?

sounds like your screwed, you better look into perio or settle on being a gp.

Straight up. I'm glad too...less competition for me.