Seniors please advise an IM prelim with nothing secured for CA1 2008

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drofgas

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello there colleagues,

I am going to do a prelim IM year starting this summer, but I have nothing for CA1 2008 (didn't match for PGY1 as I only had one interview in anesthesia advanced).
Please advise and tell me if you know, which are the best places to look for open positions. Does anesthesia have a site where they post the open positions for residents, as ACOG has? It would be great! If not please suggest where to look, and when can I start bugging the programs and asking them?
Thank you so much, I know you must all be very busy, but I am really stressed and any input would really help and be greatly appreciated!
Thanks again and best of luck to all of you!
A.

Members don't see this ad.

Programs have probably filled all the spots that they are going to fill in the match and scramble, but many will have a spot or two they will fill outside the match during the coming interview season.

Reapply through the match for an advanced position. This would be for a 2009 CA1 spot, but you might get offered a 2008 spot during the interview season. A couple months before that, send a CV and cover letter explaining that you're looking for a 2008 CA1 spot to every program in the country.

Good luck.

Most places have 1-2 CA1 spots open outside the match, which they interview for during the regular interview season. I would apply through the match, but also scout for B programs, they are more forgiving regarding not matching the previous year. these programs may sign you outside the match. If you have friends that matched in programs where TY year is at the same place or 4 yr programs (Penn state, MCG, maybe Wake forest [not sure about that one], etc...) they may get you some inside info/help. Good luck

Members don't see this ad :)
Also, even though this is the long route ..consider a research fellowship in Anesthesia in case non of the above works out. shows commtment to the field, builds hopefully a publication record (useful if you consider a fellowship after) and gets people in the department where you work to know you(known commdity , more likely to hear of open position and be taken).