Seperation Anxiety

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Danny0230

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm pretty concerned about how when I move to Buffalo I won't be able to watch the Red Sox, Patriots, and Celtics. I know that there's mlbTV that you can get on your computer for baseball, and I'm sure there's comprable packages for the other sports, but I'm curious if anyone has had this problem in the past.

This isn't a joke, I wanted to see if anyone has used the packages in the past and if they were worth it? Did you find that you had enough time to watch the games? Or is it a waste of $15 per month? I honestly wouldn't be able to make it through 4 years without watching my teams, seperation anxiety would kill me. It's probably the only thing that would keep me sane.

Members don't see this ad.

I am a huge baseball fan (unfortunately I am from Seattle and the Mariners are underachievers), and I gotten MLB TV the last 2 years. IMO it is worth the money. I even watch some of the games in class if they are on.

Funny thread.

I'm actually in the process of setting up a slingbox on an extra satellite receiver at my parent's. This way I can get access to all of my hometown teams.

Members don't see this ad :)
Similar situation for me with college football. I'm moving away from the Big XII. I bet there will be decent coverage of the SEC, which is entertaining...but big east? really? the highest average attendance for footballl games of a school in the conference is about 60,000. In the past I've only watched big east games during bowl games and the occasional thursday night game. (I am not going to knock big east in basketball at all, though)

Hopefully, having 5 teams in the top 25 will give a bit more national coverage to the Big XII.

Why no love for the Bruins? Hockey's infinitely better than all those sports.

Do you have parents or other family members living in MA? I had the same problem when I left Georgia to go to undergrad in Boston - I had no way of watching Thrashers games (since we can't get TV packages in the dorms). So I bought a slingbox a couple years ago and hooked it up to the TV back home in ATL, and I watch Thrashers games on my computer in Boston. And now that I've been spending my summers here, I can catch Braves games too. Quality isn't that good, but I think that's mostly because my school's crappy internet.

As far as having time - that's up to you. I can't imagine you'd have too much time in dental school, but I'm sure that also depends on how you manage your time and how you study and if you can schedule around games.

Buffalo has better teams anyway...and if ever you get into hockey, Bruins stink, GO SABRES <---originally from Buffalo. It's a nice place. Well, not for MLB but yes, my husband got a package on the computer where you can watch all MLB games and we never watched any because the computer resolution was so low for some reason and the motion was jerky. If you are a diehard fan though, you may be into it. For hockey, we have Center Ice on cable and that is DEFINITELY worth the cost!!!!

Last edited:
Funny thread.

I'm actually in the process of setting up a slingbox on an extra satellite receiver at my parent's. This way I can get access to all of my hometown teams.

Slingbox actually seems like a great idea, I didn't think about that before. Maybe a stupid question, but if my parents were to have the tv on or off, would that affect what I can see on my computer? Seems like a better alternative than the other packages, I'd probably save alot of $ over 4 years.

I'm pretty concerned about how when I move to Buffalo I won't be able to watch the Red Sox, Patriots, and Celtics. I know that there's mlbTV that you can get on your computer for baseball, and I'm sure there's comprable packages for the other sports, but I'm curious if anyone has had this problem in the past.

This isn't a joke, I wanted to see if anyone has used the packages in the past and if they were worth it? Did you find that you had enough time to watch the games? Or is it a waste of $15 per month? I honestly wouldn't be able to make it through 4 years without watching my teams, seperation anxiety would kill me. It's probably the only thing that would keep me sane.
Typical Red Sox fan... NO, no one has ever had that problem in the past... no one has ever had to move from their hometown, thus separating them from their favorite team. :smuggrin:

MLB.TV is great, I used it to watch the Yanks when I was in DC. Of course, you end up watching a lot of games solo cause you're looking at a computer screen, but it's better than nothing. Extra Bases is probably your best bet if you feel like springing for the service. Other than that, ESPN picks up like every other Red Sox game anyway, so you're pretty much set. Pats are on cbs often in NYC, I dunno about Buffalo.

As a Super Bowl Champion Giants fan, I am still trying to figure out how I am going to survive d-school in Boston once I pull out my Giants jersey. I would enjoy hearing any suggestions on this.

As a Super Bowl Champion Giants fan, I am still trying to figure out how I am going to survive d-school in Boston once I pull out my Giants jersey. I would enjoy hearing any suggestions on this.

It's OK. You guys first have to worry about making the playoff in this upcoming season. :laugh:

Don't get me wrong.

I personally think that play was one of the best plays in recent years.

I was just a little annoyed by "As a Super Bowl Champion Giants fan." :smuggrin:

Oh come on. Doesn't a team- and their fans- deserve one year bragging rights after winning a championship???

Slingbox actually seems like a great idea, I didn't think about that before. Maybe a stupid question, but if my parents were to have the tv on or off, would that affect what I can see on my computer? Seems like a better alternative than the other packages, I'd probably save alot of $ over 4 years.

You can watch and control the slingbox with the TV off (or on). But if the TV is on, then that controls what you see. So if you're watching on your comp and someone back home turns on the TV and flips the channel, it'll change on your computer too. Put the slingbox on a TV that's rarely used, and it'll be fine.

Buffalo has better teams anyway...and if ever you get into hockey, Bruins stink, GO SABRES <---originally from Buffalo.

I'm pretty apathetic towards both teams, but I do believe the Bruins finished ahead of your Sabres this season :p

Last edited by a moderator:
You can watch and control the slingbox with the TV off (or on). But if the TV is on, then that controls what you see. So if you're watching on your comp and someone back home turns on the TV and flips the channel, it'll change on your computer too. Put the slingbox on a TV that's rarely used, and it'll be fine.

That's exactly what I'm doing. I'm actually taking it one step further by connecting the slingbox to an extra receiver (like a cable box) that will not even be hooked up to a tv. This way, I will have sole control of what channel it's on.

haha I thought this was a thread about speration from parents/friends/normal life, but I hear you on that, GO CELTICS

Yeah, I had the same problem when I went to undergrad. Couldn't watch my Warriors anymore and were stuck with the Kings games on all the time. Because I live with a bunch of NBA fans anyway and we all play fantasy basketball, I convinced them to get League Pass and we all split it evenly. Pretty sweet deal when you're only paying a fraction of the cost! I would never even consider buying it if I had to pay for the whole thing myself.

It probably wasn't a good idea in retrospect now that I look back at my GPA.

This picture helps me to brave NY, despite being a Boston fan.

yankee.jpg

You could solve both problems* by rooting for a good baseball team. May I suggest the Yankees**?

* Second problem = being a Boston fan.
** They always get good in July and beyond. I know their record sucks atm. I also know that Boston has won the WS in 2004 and 2007. However the Yanks are still far ahead in WS wins.

Another thing. It seems as though 1/3 of Buffalo are Red Sox fans and the other 2/3 are Yankee fans