September 2016 PCAT Preliminary Score

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ti1407

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I just took the PCAT the second time today and to be honest I'm pretty ok with what it turned out

Bio: 82
Chem: 96
CR: 7
QA: 86

Overall 72

I'm not a native English speaker, I tried so hard, but I cannot make it any better. so my CR score is painful to look at.

Feel free to share your scores up here.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey I just took PCAT for the first time today, here are my prelim scores:

Bio: 85
Chem: 99
CR: 46
QR: 92
COMP: 95

I only used the Kaplan book. CR is a bit low but overall I'm satisfied.

omg wtf guys! reading was much harder then practise test..

did everyone also score on CR (people who gave it on sep.)

I received 29 reading, and 93 comp.

Members don't see this ad :)
omg wtf guys! reading was much harder then practise test..

did everyone also score on CR (people who gave it on sep.)

I received 29 reading, and 93 comp.
Did you use Dr. Collins to study? If yes, how were the questions on the real test compared to his practice tests? I've been scoring 80-95% on them so was wondering if they are close to the real deal. I'm taking the PCAT this Friday so any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Hey, I also just took the pcat for the first time today and these are my prelim scores:

Bio:96
Chem:98
CR: 87
QR: 99
Comp: 99

I used Collins and Kaplan- just for biology and for the probability section in QR

Did you use Dr. Collins to study? If yes, how were the questions on the real test compared to his practice tests? I've been scoring 80-95% on them so was wondering if they are close to the real deal. I'm taking the PCAT this Friday so any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

I am just going to copy one of the replies I posted on another thread :

so, bio, math and chem are almost the same, but reading is SOOOOOOOOO MUCH harder. If you start falling behind, don't rush through, its better to guess 1 whole passage, then half guessing everything (and you will likely fall behind if your used to practice test because the real test has longer and harder passages).

Bio: know muscles, and also there were many microbio question (but they were pretty basic)
chem: TOOOO EASY
MATH: so many similar question as the practise test. If you long question skip it and do short ones (long are likely to be experimental)

Essay topic, ill give u a hint: whats something that's going around the school ( can cause lung cancer?)

Hey, I also just took the pcat for the first time today and these are my prelim scores:

I used Collins and Kaplan- just for biology and for the probability section in QR

damn, you should be proud of ur reading score

So I've been reading up on many pcat discussions and decided to post mine to help others out :)
Today was my first time taking the PCAT and I was so scared that I did horrible because the bio had many random questions that Ive never come across while studying Kaplan. Chem was mostly organic 2 and a few basic principles. The passages for both bio and chem were short compared to Pearson practice tests. Be prepared for critical reading, the passages are too long! And math was just like the Pearson practice tests. Good luck fellow test takers :)

So I've been reading up on many pcat discussions and decided to post mine to help others out :)
Today was my first time taking the PCAT and I was so scared that I did horrible because the bio had many random questions that Ive never come across while studying Kaplan. Chem was mostly organic 2 and a few basic principles. The passages for both bio and chem were short compared to Pearson practice tests. Be prepared for critical reading, the passages are too long! And math was just like the Pearson practice tests. Good luck fellow test takers :)

Hello, in your opinion, would you say the Chem portion was hard? For orgo chem, I just mainly focused on studying reactions/acids and bases, etc. Not sure if that is part of Orgo 2.

Hello, in your opinion, would you say the Chem portion was hard? For orgo chem, I just mainly focused on studying reactions/acids and bases, etc. Not sure if that is part of Orgo 2.
I wouldn't say it was hard personally because it was my highest score, it's just time consuming. Be really quick with recognizing reactions and rearranging formulas.

I took the pcat today too.

bio- 85
chm- 99
cr- 77
qr- 67
comp- 94

I used kaplan (biology), dr. collins and 3 pearson tests

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi I am taking the pcat in october and I have been studying Dr. Collins 2015-2016 version and I am afraid its not sufficient for the new pcat. Please advise if I am okay or do I need to get the 2016 version of Dr. Collins? any help is appreciated.

Thanks

I am just going to copy one of the replies I posted on another thread :

so, bio, math and chem are almost the same, but reading is SOOOOOOOOO MUCH harder. If you start falling behind, don't rush through, its better to guess 1 whole passage, then half guessing everything (and you will likely fall behind if your used to practice test because the real test has longer and harder passages).

Bio: know muscles, and also there were many microbio question (but they were pretty basic)
chem: TOOOO EASY
MATH: so many similar question as the practise test. If you long question skip it and do short ones (long are likely to be experimental)

Essay topic, ill give u a hint: whats something that's going around the school ( can cause lung cancer?)
what was on the chemisty section mostly?

Hi, I just took the PCAT the second time today and to be honest I'm pretty ok with what it turned out

Overall 72

I'm not a native English speaker, I tried so hard, but I cannot make it any better. so my CR score is painful to look at.

First time taking it today ;) Got a 68 composite :( studying off that kaplan ~

too expensive

Last edited:
I took the PCAT today...

BIO: 94
CHEM: 76
CR: 82
QR: 67
COMP: 84

I feel I could have done better on the CHEM (overconfidence in my ORGO did me in). I studied for about two weeks mostly from the Kaplan study guide. The study guide also included two timed practice tests that I found the most helpful, because the timing of the actually exam is what was most difficult for me. I had about 5-7 questions remaining with less than a minute in both the CHEM and QR sections, so I just guessed on whatever to finish. I also purchased two practice exams from pearson, but they weren't much different from what Kaplan offered.

Hi guys,

Chemistry is my weakness. I just took my PCAT today but I voided my score because it didn't go well. I am retaking in November. What would you suggest for Chemistry and Biology material? I am using Dr. Collins to study and Pearson.
I heard PCAT Achiever and Kaplan are pretty good too. Does anyone know about this?

Do you have any suggestions on how to practice for critical reading? My score for that section ended up being crap =(

Guys i have a question. My scores:
Bio: 79
QA: 85
Comp: 92

How much will this critical reading score affect my chances? I knew CR would be the lowest but didn't know it would be that low. I'm a native speaker btw. This was my first time taking the PCAT. I have a 3.75 gpa and I've started working as a pharm tech trainee last week. I'm trying to apply to University of Maryland in Baltimore. Any advice is appreciated.

Guys i have a question. My scores:
Bio: 79
QA: 85
Comp: 92

How much will this critical reading score affect my chances? I knew CR would be the lowest but didn't know it would be that low. I'm a native speaker btw. This was my first time taking the PCAT. I have a 3.75 gpa and I've started working as a pharm tech trainee last week. I'm trying to apply to University of Maryland in Baltimore. Any advice is appreciated.
idk my friend said people have gotten accepted with 25~ reading score with a good comp.

First time taking it today. I did horrible.. :( someone give me advice.

Bio: 52
Chem: 43
CR: 91
QR: 72
Com: 68

Hi I am taking the pcat in october and I have been studying Dr. Collins 2015-2016 version and I am afraid its not sufficient for the new pcat. Please advise if I am okay or do I need to get the 2016 version of Dr. Collins? any help is appreciated.

Thanks
That's what I studied and it was not sufficient

That's what I studied and it was not sufficient
do you mean the Dr. Collins 2015-2016 is not sufficient or Dr. Collins in general for the new PCAT? Also can anyone maybe give a little more insight to the chemistry portion? Like how are the chemistry passages?

do you mean the Dr. Collins 2015-2016 is not sufficient or Dr. Collins in general for the new PCAT? Also can anyone maybe give a little more insight to the chemistry portion? Like how are the chemistry passages?
I felt that the chem part had a fair mix of gen chem, orgo, and biochem. I haven't taken orgo 2 or biochem and I got 99 for chem. The passages were pretty easy actually. A lot of them u can just answer off of prior chem knowledge while for others u gotta find the answer buried in the passage. I used mostly Kaplan and a little bit of the study guides from dr.collins (they were of older years) from a friend.

Took it today and was expecting 80-90. I was shocked at my score because I was unsure on so many chem and bio questions. And chem was usually my worst score on practice tests.

Bio: 99
CR: 94

Took mine today. I did pretty poorly on CR and i thought i bombed the QR but somehow got a 92. Studied using Kaplan 2016-2017 and Barron's PCAT for extra questions. Bought the Pearson practice PCAT tests. Personally i highly recommend the Pearson tests. I think i did Ok

Bio 82
Chem 92
CR: 58 :(
QR: 92 (Shocking)
Comp: 87

Took it today and was expecting 80-90. I was shocked at my score because I was unsure on so many chem and bio questions. And chem was usually my worst score on practice tests.

Bio: 99
CR: 94
Congratulation on your PCAT score. Hope you don't mind sharing how you studied and what material you used for the PCAT. My weakness is Chemistry. I appreciate a lot.

Overall 72

How did you guys do for Sept. PCAT?
I took it today and I am not really happy with my scores.

I did really well on chem96 and bio94
But I screwed CR and Math..
I never expected math to be a problem..
I got 17 on CR(english is my second language) and 50 on math.. I got 74 composite.

Should I retake the pcat in October?

pcat today and here is my scorers.
Chem 98
Bio 90
Quant 54
CR 13
Comp 75

I have a bachelors in business administration and over 5 years in management experience and 1 year Volunter with a non profit.

Overall GPA 2.99 science 3.5
Please advice what are my chances?

For anyone wondering how to study, imo the 3 pearson tests are by far the best bet. They write the test and they recycle question formats quite a bit. At least 2 of the passages on my real one were the exact same as the passage from the practice test, the questions were only slightly different. If you just study every topic that comes up on the practice tests you shouldn't run into any surprises.

Chem 96
Bio 98
CA 96
Quant 99

Just took the Sept 8 test:

Chem 90
Bio 89
CR 87
QR 97
Comp 95

I would suggest the Kaplan 2016-17 study guide, it is excellent and covers most of the material you will need to know. Their strategy of writing a scope for each paragraph (pretty much one or two word summaries on each paragraph) worked really well for me, because it helps your mind not wander everywhere and focus on each paragraph, even if you dont really look back at them while answering the questions in each section. The two practice exams it provides are pretty much identical in format to the actual test (calculator looks a bit different, but that's it). Do as many practice tests as you can, even if just sections here and there, and read the solutions to each (my friend had old PCAT books from years ago, and getting problems wrong just helped me develop more knowledge).

pcat today and here is my scorers.
Chem 98
Bio 90
Quant 54
CR 13
Comp 75

I have a bachelors in business administration and over 5 years in management experience and 1 year Volunter with a non profit.

Overall GPA 2.99 science 3.5
Please advice what are my chances?

How did you guys do for Sept. PCAT?
I took it today and I am not really happy with my scores.

I did really well on chem96 and bio94
But I screwed CR and Math..
I never expected math to be a problem..
I got 17 on CR(english is my second language) and 50 on math.. I got 74 composite.

Should I retake the pcat in October?

While I believe those are the two sections that are less important to pharmacy schools, a huge discrepancy in any of the sections from the composite score makes them look into your app more carefully.

While I believe those are the two sections that are less important to pharmacy schools, a huge discrepancy in any of the sections from the composite score makes them look into your app more carefully.

Thank you for the replay. You made me feel little better. :) Do you know if schools cut people by scores first before looking at their essays?

Thank you for the replay. You made me feel little better. :) Do you know if schools cut people by scores first before looking at their essays?

This is just a guess but I think competitive schools probably have an algorithm to separate candidates that are likely to be rejected into a separate pile based on PCAT and GPA, but I'm sure your scores are much higher than the cut off. Doesn't the application have a spot where you can explain a low grade? I would explain that English is not your first language. Write a really good essay. Like one of the best you've ever written. Spend hours on it and write several different by versions. Take the best version and have multiple people you trust proofread it.

Overall 72

Hi, where are you from?!

Hey, did you take the PCAT on september, 2016? Hey, I took PCAT this septermber, 2016 and i did horrible in the exam. Nothing was from Collins study guide. i studied his 2015's guide i believe but nothing was from there. it was my first time taking it. Any suggestions what years study guide did you study with all the details ?? since, you did so well. pls pls share what did you used to study. i am planning to retake mine end of the year. i don't wanna rush myself.

Hey, did you take the PCAT on september, 2016? Hey, I took PCAT this septermber, 2016 and i did horrible in the exam. Nothing was from Collins study guide. i studied his 2015's guide i believe but nothing was from there. it was my first time taking it. Any suggestions what years study guide did you study with all the details ?? since, you did so well. pls pls share what did you used to study. i am planning to retake mine end of the year. i don't wanna rush myself.
What version of collins do you have? You may have deterred me from purchasing it :X

hey guys! i got a 92 composite and i was wondering if there was any chance in this score report and the official score report or if you guys had any idea when the official score report comes out? thanks!!