September retake? looking for advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dentistmsh

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello friends,

I am a Canadian applicant, and I submitted my application on August 1st (which is late, I know)

Please take a look at my stats:
cumulative GPA: 3.53 science GPA: 3.2
Canadian DAT: ST 18, AA 19, PA 20
Strong LORs, ~150 hrs shadowing & volunteering

Considering that I submitted my application pretty late in the cycle and that my stats are average, I am concerned that I will get not interview from any of the schools. I am currently thinking about re-taking DAT(American DAT this time) in early September and hopefully update my DAT score.

My question is, how late is September DAT retake, and will universities wait until the academic update period to see my new DAT scores before they make a decision for me (since I indicated that I will retake DAT on my app)?
What are my chances?

This is my first time applying, and I only applied to 4 schools (the private and Canadian-friendly, expensive ones :/) which also concerns me.

Any advice or guidance will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Your DAT scores aren't too bad. The dental schools will not hold on to your application till you retake the DAT. Study harder for the test and have no worries.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks Nliner.

Any other advice ?
Just apply and lightly prepare/study for the Canadian DAT retake in Nov in case you don't receive any interviews (or if you are so inclined, the American DAT as soon as possible). As long as your application is submitted, they will wait for your official scores to come in. I took my Canadian DAT on Nov 7th and submitted my application on Nov 27. I received 4 interviews, so Aug 1st is really not that late.

P.S. if you're Canadian, make sure UDM is on your list. It's Canadian friendly and 5 min over the boarder, so you can live in Canada while you go there.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Just apply and lightly prepare/study for the Canadian DAT retake in Nov in case you don't receive any interviews (or if you are so inclined, the American DAT as soon as possible). As long as your application is submitted, they will wait for your official scores to come in. I took my Canadian DAT on Nov 7th and submitted my application on Nov 27. I received 4 interviews, so Aug 1st is really not that late.

P.S. if you're Canadian, make sure UDM is on your list. It's Canadian friendly and 5 min over the boarder, so you can live in Canada while you go there.

I didn't take Microbi so I lack UDM prereq. But Thanks so much for the advice : )