Serious ? about WS and ball point pens

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

pmpharmtech

Junior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Okay, so I've taken two practice tests and the first one I took, I used a fine point black roller ball pen on the Writing Sample. I thought about this later and did the second test with a black ball point pen. I usually write with roller ball or gel pens because it seems like less fatigue on my wrist when I do alot of writing. I did notice this when I did the writing samples, I had much more fatigue with the ball point pen than with the roller ball pen. I have been told by numerous people that I have beautiful handwriting so clarity is not an issue. My question is can any kind of black pen be used or is it stricly only ball point pens? I know this seems like an odd question but it's a significant difference to me. I have a few more tests that I'm planning on doing and have been trying to mimic every aspect of an acutal MCAT as possible. So if I do have to use a ball point pen, I need to start using it in my practice tests. I know there's a lot of experience at the forum so I figured someone may be able to answer this for me. Thanks a million! 🙂
 
pmpharmtech said:
Okay, so I've taken two practice tests and the first one I took, I used a fine point black roller ball pen on the Writing Sample. I thought about this later and did the second test with a black ball point pen. I usually write with roller ball or gel pens because it seems like less fatigue on my wrist when I do alot of writing. I did notice this when I did the writing samples, I had much more fatigue with the ball point pen than with the roller ball pen. I have been told by numerous people that I have beautiful handwriting so clarity is not an issue. My question is can any kind of black pen be used or is it stricly only ball point pens? I know this seems like an odd question but it's a significant difference to me. I have a few more tests that I'm planning on doing and have been trying to mimic every aspect of an acutal MCAT as possible. So if I do have to use a ball point pen, I need to start using it in my practice tests. I know there's a lot of experience at the forum so I figured someone may be able to answer this for me. Thanks a million! 🙂

I think the reason they say Ball point pens is that other pens have ink that tends to bleed through the paper. The admissions staff did not check to see whether I had a ball point pen or not. On the one hand I want to tell you that this should be the last of your concerns, on the other hand I understand the feelings you are going through.
 
pmpharmtech said:
Okay, so I've taken two practice tests and the first one I took, I used a fine point black roller ball pen on the Writing Sample. I thought about this later and did the second test with a black ball point pen. I usually write with roller ball or gel pens because it seems like less fatigue on my wrist when I do alot of writing. I did notice this when I did the writing samples, I had much more fatigue with the ball point pen than with the roller ball pen. I have been told by numerous people that I have beautiful handwriting so clarity is not an issue. My question is can any kind of black pen be used or is it stricly only ball point pens? I know this seems like an odd question but it's a significant difference to me. I have a few more tests that I'm planning on doing and have been trying to mimic every aspect of an acutal MCAT as possible. So if I do have to use a ball point pen, I need to start using it in my practice tests. I know there's a lot of experience at the forum so I figured someone may be able to answer this for me. Thanks a million! 🙂

PR told me to use ball-point. That being said, I think my poor hand writting was what saved me on my writting portion. Bill Gates screwed up my grammar and spelling skill, all that chicken scratch probably distracted them from my errors.
 
If your writing looks good, and it doesn't bleed through the paper, relax, you're fine.

The TPR instructor who said to use ballpoint was telling you the party line, but the reason is illegibility -- I know I find that many of my students cannot get away with rollerball pens, and other instructors report similar problems. Well, they can write the essays just fine, but we can't grade them. If you're sure this doesn't apply to you, then neither does the advice. But note to anyone contemplating the rollerball: just because you think it's legible doesn't mean it will be to someone who has never seen your writing and who is in a tremendous hurry (as AAMC graders are). Ask someone else to read a sample before you assume you have no issue.

That's the story. But then, I've only had a few hundred students in my verbal classes; I'm sure you can find some first-year who knows a guy who's heard different.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
aamartin81 said:
Shirke, can I use an erasable pen (for pity sake, say yes)?
Yes, I suppose, but...

They usually don't write very well, and I have heard of a testtaker badly tearing the paper with one. Also, I'd point out it doesn't buy you much. It is quicker, and usually neater, simply to strike through (neatly, please, and with a single line only) the offending text, than it is to erase.