Serious Advice Needed- Considering Reapplying

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

0906070608MDJ

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am looking for some advice on what to do these next couple of months. I applied last year to about 18 MD schools and 2 DO schools. However, do to my Sept. 2010 MCAT retake, my application was not complete until early Oct. I added the 2 DO schools to my application late, just in case. I received 2 MD interviews (both ended in WL) and interviewed at both DO schools (withdrew my app from the one after being accepted to the other). I deferred my acceptance to the DO school in order to finish the research I have been involved with. The last couple of months I have thought a lot about reapplying due to my late application the first time. Below is more information about my application separating the application I applied with and what the new one would contain. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Application 2010-2011
cGPA: 3.23
sGPA: think about 3.3
MCAT: June 2010- 26 (post-grad funk- lol) Sept 2010- 30 (after a month of studying while working full-time)
EC while in college (graduated May 2010): Div I Ice Hockey (captain Senior Yr), Student-Athlete Advisory Committee
Research: earned Honors in Neuroscience for my Senior Thesis; been working in a lab since June 2010 (40/week) and we are finishing up a paper where I have been told I would be an author (thinking 2nd)
Clinical Experience: worked as a Care Assistant at a local hospital during the summers (probably over 300 hours total) and continue to pick up shifts when needed; shadowed a couple Surgeons (15-20 hours; have access to shadow other physicians as well)
Volunteering: was an Asst Coach for a local ice hockey team 2010-11 (commitment was 6-20/hrs a week depending on the time of yr)
Awards: All-academic Team 3 of the 4 years for hockey, named the recipient of 2 Scholarships for student-athletes who showed excellence in the classroom and in their sport

Application 2012-2013 (in addition to above)
GPA: 3.23 (I took 2 classes this past fall- receiving a B in Mol Bio and an A in a Grad Neuroscience course while working 40hrs/week and volunteering 4hrs/week- these grades not included in GPA)
MCAT: would retake and aim for a 33!
Volunteering: currently volunteering 4hrs a week for a local health care of the homeless initiative
Clincial Experience: I have about 20 additional hours of shadowing experience and still work as a care assistant about 10hrs/month

Thanks for reading everything. Hope to hear some advice, especially from the long-time members of SDN.

Members don't see this ad.

lesson learned: don't apply to schools you are not happy to attend.

Back to the original question, given that you were selected for 2 interviews out of 18, I would say there is something in your app that adcom liked. The fact that you were WL at both is perhaps due to your interview skills or simply because they were late interviews. With an improved MCAT and your additional volunteering and shadowing, I think you have a pretty good shot if you reapplied. With that said, you should check with the DO school that you deferred. I think there might be a policy regarding withdrawing from other schools if you chose to defer at one institutions... not sure how reapplying would factor in.

In the end, it comes down to whether you want to spend another year worth of time, stress and money to reapply. I mean, of course my stats would be better too if I took another year to prep for it, but I would just take the DO acceptance and run with it. Just my two cents.

I am looking for some advice on what to do these next couple of months. I applied last year to about 18 MD schools and 2 DO schools. However, do to my Sept. 2010 MCAT retake, my application was not complete until early Oct. I added the 2 DO schools to my application late, just in case. I received 2 MD interviews (both ended in WL) and interviewed at both DO schools (withdrew my app from the one after being accepted to the other). I deferred my acceptance to the DO school in order to finish the research I have been involved with. The last couple of months I have thought a lot about reapplying due to my late application the first time. Below is more information about my application separating the application I applied with and what the new one would contain. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Application 2010-2011
cGPA: 3.23
sGPA: think about 3.3
MCAT: June 2010- 26 (post-grad funk- lol) Sept 2010- 30 (after a month of studying while working full-time)
EC while in college (graduated May 2010): Div I Ice Hockey (captain Senior Yr), Student-Athlete Advisory Committee
Research: earned Honors in Neuroscience for my Senior Thesis; been working in a lab since June 2010 (40/week) and we are finishing up a paper where I have been told I would be an author (thinking 2nd)
Clinical Experience: worked as a Care Assistant at a local hospital during the summers (probably over 300 hours total) and continue to pick up shifts when needed; shadowed a couple Surgeons (15-20 hours; have access to shadow other physicians as well)
Volunteering: was an Asst Coach for a local ice hockey team 2010-11 (commitment was 6-20/hrs a week depending on the time of yr)
Awards: All-academic Team 3 of the 4 years for hockey, named the recipient of 2 Scholarships for student-athletes who showed excellence in the classroom and in their sport

Application 2012-2013 (in addition to above)
GPA: 3.23 (I took 2 classes this past fall- receiving a B in Mol Bio and an A in a Grad Neuroscience course while working 40hrs/week and volunteering 4hrs/week- these grades not included in GPA)
MCAT: would retake and aim for a 33!
Volunteering: currently volunteering 4hrs a week for a local health care of the homeless initiative
Clincial Experience: I have about 20 additional hours of shadowing experience and still work as a care assistant about 10hrs/month

Thanks for reading everything. Hope to hear some advice, especially from the long-time members of SDN.
Considering your GPA, I think you are fortunate to have gotten the acceptance that you did. Getting a presumed 3.5 in your two postbac classes didn't do much to help you. For a real shot at MD, IMO, besides a very strong MCAT score, another year of high grades (3.7+) in upper-level Bio and Biochem would be desirable to demonstrate to adcomms that you have what it takes to succeed in their institution. And even then there would be no guarantee of success.

Alternatively, if you can get an MCAT > 30, you might consider an SMP as a surer path, if you have the cash, and are sure to earn a 3.7+ in the program.

Members don't see this ad :)
Reapplying is as meaningless at your username.

Don't be a TOOL, go to MEDICAL SCHOOL.

I am a reapplicant, and I would give almost anything for a single DO or MD acceptance.

Maybe you could tell us (the internet mob) why you would rather not be in medical school than at the D.O. program? I have heard negative things about a few osteopathic programs, but I have heard negative things about allopathic programs as well.

I'm a similar applicant: 3.6/30/tons of extra-curriculars, former teacher, etc. From my two cycles combined I have 7 interviews and 3 wait-lists.

You're not settling, you're accepting the opportunity and privilege of studying medicine.

-P