Serious dilemma, I really need some help!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

txlonghorn2314

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I've been a complete caffeine addict my entire premed life, and have been drinking caffeine religiously throughout my MCAT studies. Last week I was having a lot of chest pain, so I went to the doctor and got an EKG done and found that my heartbeat was irregular, and was recommended to stop my caffeine intake.

Being off of it now has totally screwed me up. I can't focus on any of the passages...like reading into the first 3 sentences my mind fogs up and I don't even know what I am reading. My AAMC 3 and 4 scores were 30, 33 respectively before I saw the doc, but two days ago I took the PS section of AAMC 7 and got a 7 (Normally I score 11 or 12, and I made some of the stupidest mistakes imaginable). I did bio passages all day yesterday and was lost the entire time, got about 40% on the TPRH SW passages (normally get 75% on bio)...like my brain just refuses to work or focus in any way. Its stressing me out that I can't focus any more, and that stress in itself is making it more difficult to focus.

My MCAT is in 16 days now, and I am completely freaking out. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Members don't see this ad.

What's your diet like? Maybe you can have some health foods that can fill that caffeine void even a little bit?

Reactions: 1 user
I think you should push your test back. If there is any valid reason to do it, this would be one. Although you could lose caffeine dependence in 16 days, it's going to be tough to review.

Reactions: 1 users
you can do two things 1) eat a lot of chocolate 2) take 8 hours of sleep

and also take your tests 30 min after you wake and post breakfast, your brain produces dopamine itself when you rest completely

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry, but I can't help but laugh and bring up how ironic it is that you have that avatar lolol.

On a serious note, like Muhammed said above, you should definitely reschedule. That way you can gather yourself and learn how to cope with your lifestyle first. Once thats put into place, you can start focusing on pursuing a high score on the MCAT.

I say screw it. Take the test and don't reschedule, but that's just my opinion. Aren't you aiming for 29-30? That is definitely obtainable still for you since you have showed you are capable of 30+ even if you were on caffeine

I say screw it. Take the test and don't reschedule, but that's just my opinion. Aren't you aiming for 29-30? That is definitely obtainable still for you since you have showed you are capable of 30+ even if you were on caffeine
I couldn't help but reading your comment with Jessi's voice in my head.... the whole time I was waiting for "Yeah bitch" to come up somewhere

Thank y'all for the responses. Unfortunately I can no longer push it back, as the deadline is past. I'll definitely try and focus hard on my diet/exercise/water to get the energy back. Next week I'll take AAMC 11 and if I'm still out of it and score low then I will just void.

One quick question...my issue with passages is that now when I take them and time myself, I'm so foggy I can't come to the conclusion fast at all so I either run out of time or simply guess. So for the time being (the next 3 or 4 days) should I just take my time on each question and spend as long as I need to come up with the answer/conclusion? Idk kinda retrain my brain to think critically without having to be all wired...and then slowly do more and more and start to time myself again?

It's just been very stressful, as I am also getting married in 6 weeks. Definitely been a time period that has tested my mental toughness! I appreciate all your responses/advice!

bro i can't believe you can be that much addicted to something like coffee. Just sleep 8 hours or so, exercise, take a shower, cold water...etc.. do things that make you alert ! You will be fine though, regardless when the test day comes, im sure stress overrides it... just keep pushing ...

What's your diet like? Maybe you can have some health foods that can fill that caffeine void even a little bit?

I've tried to get to where I'm eating a lot of greens, salmon, eggs, etc..basically as healthy as I can. My physical energy has improved because of it but my mind is still so foggy, and my ability to focus on reading something/solving a problem feels so much slower, and I definitely tire out after about two passages (normally in my prep I've been doing 10+ passages/day) Hopefully it'll get better if I keep pushing...

Caffeine is addictive and there is a withdrawal period during which you will have symptoms like those you described. It lasts a week or two and then you will feel better and will likely have more energy and focus as soon as you are free of it. Best of luck.

So I've been a complete caffeine addict my entire premed life, and have been drinking caffeine religiously throughout my MCAT studies. Last week I was having a lot of chest pain, so I went to the doctor and got an EKG done and found that my heartbeat was irregular, and was recommended to stop my caffeine intake.

Being off of it now has totally screwed me up. I can't focus on any of the passages...like reading into the first 3 sentences my mind fogs up and I don't even know what I am reading. My AAMC 3 and 4 scores were 30, 33 respectively before I saw the doc, but two days ago I took the PS section of AAMC 7 and got a 7 (Normally I score 11 or 12, and I made some of the stupidest mistakes imaginable). I did bio passages all day yesterday and was lost the entire time, got about 40% on the TPRH SW passages (normally get 75% on bio)...like my brain just refuses to work or focus in any way. Its stressing me out that I can't focus any more, and that stress in itself is making it more difficult to focus.

My MCAT is in 16 days now, and I am completely freaking out. Does anyone have any suggestions?

I went through the same thing. I was extremely addicted to coffee and was very dependent on it. Near my MCAT I had about 6-8 shots of espresso with 2 cups of coffee a day. My health was also getting worse because of it and all the caffeine made me more stressed out and tired. It prevented me from getting enough sleep so I couldn't think critically during practice exams. I ended up voiding my exam because I couldn't fully concentrate. When I started to study again I decided to stop drinking coffee cold turkey and experienced horrible headaches and such. After a few days of being constantly being tired and having the foggy mind you speak of I couldn't take it anymore and decided to drink green tea(about 2 teabags/day), I know it has caffeine but I feel like its better for you and has a calming effect. I also started drinking green smoothies with kale/spinach and feel energized from it, you can also add cacao powder to it. I also eat extra dark chocolate as a snack. I know these all have caffeine but to me it was a very small amount compared to before. I also drink tons of water. When my mind is so tired that I cant read even one paragraph I get up and just start jumping up and down or running in place for ten minutes and feel a lot better. My mind is still a little slow, especially reading passages but it has gotten better. I also had a day in the beginning where I caught up on sleep which also helped. Since your exam is near I don't know if this will help but hopefully it will somewhat, or maybe even for a lifestyle change after your exam. I been addicted to coffee for many years too but now I feel a lot better without it.

Just drink caffeine one more time before your mcat! That's what I would do. But make sure you have food in your stomach first

Exercise helps alot...Exercise could replace caffeine or Exercise and little caffeine...Go get the Gold!!!

I went through the same thing. I was extremely addicted to coffee and was very dependent on it. Near my MCAT I had about 6-8 shots of espresso with 2 cups of coffee a day. My health was also getting worse because of it and all the caffeine made me more stressed out and tired. It prevented me from getting enough sleep so I couldn't think critically during practice exams. I ended up voiding my exam because I couldn't fully concentrate. When I started to study again I decided to stop drinking coffee cold turkey and experienced horrible headaches and such. After a few days of being constantly being tired and having the foggy mind you speak of I couldn't take it anymore and decided to drink green tea(about 2 teabags/day), I know it has caffeine but I feel like its better for you and has a calming effect. I also started drinking green smoothies with kale/spinach and feel energized from it, you can also add cacao powder to it. I also eat extra dark chocolate as a snack. I know these all have caffeine but to me it was a very small amount compared to before. I also drink tons of water. When my mind is so tired that I cant read even one paragraph I get up and just start jumping up and down or running in place for ten minutes and feel a lot better. My mind is still a little slow, especially reading passages but it has gotten better. I also had a day in the beginning where I caught up on sleep which also helped. Since your exam is near I don't know if this will help but hopefully it will somewhat, or maybe even for a lifestyle change after your exam. I been addicted to coffee for many years too but now I feel a lot better without it.

Yeah I'm gonna try just some green tea and a lot of water. It just sucks cause my exam is in a week and a half but I'm thinking might have to void because I doubt that's enough time to get myself together and review/practice thoroughly

Exercise helps alot...Exercise could replace caffeine or Exercise and little caffeine...Go get the Gold!!!

Heading to the gym right now! Even if I have to void next week at least I know I'll be in the right direction to take again in August I hope Ill still have a chance to get in this cycle though