Serious question for retail pharmacy managers

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Estrace

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Have you ever felt threatened by your staff pharmacist?
I spent the last year and half fighting with my rxm. I didn't understand what her problem was with me until this afternoon. The thought that she thinks I wanted her job never crossed my mind because I didn't want her job. I am barely 3 years old with the company verses her who has 18 yrs experience. Everything I did for our store was just my way of being a good staff pharmacist. Everything made perfect sense today after getting this information. I don't work with her anymore. I just started at a new store yesterday but I really want to learn something from this experience. I said to the person giving me this information that the rxm will miss my hard work and all the things I did and the person said, not really. She prefers someone who is mediocre actually so that her position will be secured. I was flabbergasted.
Now, I want to know if a lot of rxms feel this way so that I know how to adjust for the new rxm .

Members don't see this ad.

I'd prefer a good staff pharmacist, means less work for me. I certainly don't feel threatened or like they're trying to one up me by being an exceptional worker but I don't have an ego either. Insinuating that she was securing her job may be correct, but from discussions with other PICs I think many of them would happily be 'demoted' to staff pharmacist.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
All I ever aspire to be is staff, I wouldn't mind having more seniority than the second staff pharmacist (walmart has a rxm and 2 staff).

I'd prefer a good staff pharmacist, means less work for me. I certainly don't feel threatened or like they're trying to one up me by being an exceptional worker but I don't have an ego either. Insinuating that she was securing her job may be correct, but from discussions with other PICs I think many of them would happily be 'demoted' to staff pharmacist.

This one definitely has a lot of ego and does not want to be demoted to a staff pharmacist. She has managed several stores for the past 10 years. I can't really say that I'm surprised knowing how important she feels being the rxm but I'm shocked that she went as far as she did fighting me just because she thought I was after her position. That's ridiculous. In my eyes, we were a team. When I hand out receipt surveys like a used car sales lady, it was because I didn't want us to be on conference call the entire month. My new store is very disorganized and I was already planning on how to organize the place starting next week because I absolutely hate working in a very disorganized environment. Now, I'm thinking I should just mind my business, get through my shift and go home.

Last edited:
she is definitely in the minority on the way she acted. I do not feel threatened by my staff RPh. if anything, I am trying to empower my staff RPh to resolve issues on her shift.

YES.
I had the same situation of unfair treatment. Manager was always tough on me for some weird reasons. Any constructive contribution from me was instantly shot down and disregarded. Any mistake I made was blown out of proportion. No bonding between overlap....I always wondered why until one day she was still in the pharmacy after normal end of shift. I was just working as usual and as our eyes met, she blurted out "Are you ready to kick me out?"

That sentence and all the experiences combined gave me a lighting bolt of discovery: my manager was afraid of me taking over her manager's job.

I asked for transfer as soon as I could and at every new pharmacy, I repeatedly told many times to everyone and I made sure the managers knew that I only wanted to be staff. I learned my lesson the hard way.

What fool wants an RXM job? hahahaaa

Reactions: 1 users
I always wonder when I read on here that people don't want RXM positions or that the RXM job is stressful. My former RXM never worked her rxm schedule the whole time we worked together. We worked equal hours . She was not stressed about anything. Actually, the only stress she felt were the ones she created.
I resolve all issues on my shift except the ones put in as complaints because I do not have access to those. The pharmacy is very organized, we file papers immediately so they don't pile up. It was like that before she came and she kept up with that.

Just out of curiosity, did you ever try to sit down and have a heart to heart with her. When I came to my current store, the first thing I did was sit down and talk to my partner about my expectations of her performance and our relationship. The previous PIC made her feel like you feel. Now she couldn't be happier. We collaborate on all decisions and she take a crap load of work off of my plate. The store is running well, we got a nice bonus last year. So all is well. But I'm pretty sure the only person who could get me out of my job is me.

Keep doing what you are doing, but communicate with your new manager. We could be more efficient if we did X. We could save time by doing Y. Our lives would be easier if we did Z. What if we try A?

This seems highly unlike my limited pharmacy experience with Walmart where everyone wants to be staff. I asked around at the stores I work at about the previous managers and they always get fired for the most ridiculous things.

Just out of curiosity, did you ever try to sit down and have a heart to heart with her. When I came to my current store, the first thing I did was sit down and talk to my partner about my expectations of her performance and our relationship. The previous PIC made her feel like you feel. Now she couldn't be happier. We collaborate on all decisions and she take a crap load of work off of my plate. The store is running well, we got a nice bonus last year. So all is well. But I'm pretty sure the only person who could get me out of my job is me.

Keep doing what you are doing, but communicate with your new manager. We could be more efficient if we did X. We could save time by doing Y. Our lives would be easier if we did Z. What if we try A?

Can I come work with you? That's exactly the kind of person I am. I made several efforts to get her to meet and talk but she wasn't interested. I sent her texts after texts explaining to her how the conflict between us was affecting our techs because I felt they were very uncomfortable. She never responded to any of them.

I really hope my new manager is more matured in dealing with issues. I'm just going to slow down until she's comfortable with me.

Can I come work with you? That's exactly the kind of person I am. I made several efforts to get her to meet and talk but she wasn't interested. I sent her texts after texts explaining to her how the conflict between us was affecting our techs because I felt they were very uncomfortable. She never responded to any of them.

I really hope my new manager is more matured in dealing with issues. I'm just going to slow down until she's comfortable with me.

Sure, you can come work for me. Just keep talking to your new boss, but keep ideas about changes to yourself for a couple of weeks or months. Get to know the techs and really see how the store works. After that, suggest improvements slowly. Once you chnage things and they work you'll be golden.

Members don't see this ad :)
Lol at CVS half of the PIC in the district are trying to step DOWN to staff

It's more than half. PIC for cvs is the worst fulltime rph position possible

I spent the last year and half fighting with my rxm. I didn't understand what her problem was with me until this afternoon. The thought that she thinks I wanted her job never crossed my mind because I didn't want her job. I am barely 3 years old with the company verses her who has 18 yrs experience. Everything I did for our store was just my way of being a good staff pharmacist. Everything made perfect sense today after getting this information. I don't work with her anymore. I just started at a new store yesterday but I really want to learn something from this experience. I said to the person giving me this information that the rxm will miss my hard work and all the things I did and the person said, not really. She prefers someone who is mediocre actually so that her position will be secured. I was flabbergasted.
Now, I want to know if a lot of rxms feel this way so that I know how to adjust for the new rxm .

No, the rxms don't care and chances are...all of this is in your head. People often rationale why someone would hate them by thinking that they are too good. Your rxm never felt threatened; she probably just didn't like working with you. period.

No, the rxms don't care and chances are...all of this is in your head. People often rationale why someone would hate them by thinking that they are too good. Your rxm never felt threatened; she probably just didn't like working with you. period.

I don't like responding to you because I always feel like you are my rxm. Go back and read my thread. I didn't expect her to be threatened by me, someone told me 2 days ago. I don't care about her job and yes, I'm that good (does that make you mad?) . And you can't say for sure she was not threatened by me except you're her spokesperson. I work with people I don't like too and I didn't like working with her either but I'm matured enough to understand that working with someone I hate is not the worst thing on earth. I do my job and go home, I don't go around being evil to people just because I don't like working with them. When you're known all over the district for being an egomaniac and always getting into situation with your pharmacists and techs, I can believe anything I hear about you.
I honestly thought she was just miserable that at 40, no one wants to marry her evil behind so she can have kids . Being told she was threatened by me was the most ridiculous reason for fighting me.
It was easy for me to believe because this was an easy job for her. She couldn't handle the last store she managed and they threw a party when she left

Now that I know that you're equally as miserable in your personal life like she is, I will ignore any respond from you from this point. .

Last edited:
I don't like responding to you because I always feel like you are my rxm. Go back and read my thread. I didn't expect her to be threatened by me, someone told me 2 days ago. I don't care about her job and yes, I'm that good (does that make you mad?) . And you can't say for sure she was not threatened by me except you're her spokesperson. I work with people I don't like too and I didn't like working with her either but I'm matured enough to understand that working with someone I hate is not the worst thing on earth. I do my job and go home, I don't go around being evil to people just because I don't like working with them. When you're known all over the district for being an egomaniac and always getting into situation with your pharmacists and techs, I can believe anything I hear about you.
I honestly thought she was just miserable that at 40, no one wants to marry her evil behind so she can have kids . Being told she was threatened by me was the most ridiculous reason for fighting me.
It was easy for me to believe because this was an easy job for her. She couldn't handle the last store she managed and they threw a party when she left. Do you have anything more to say? We can hash it out here and I can finally tell you how I really feel about you.

I personally have never heard of a pharmacist being "threatened" by another pharmacist (and I've heard of horror stories of conflicts but it's more due to excessive estrogen in the pharmacy). It's pharmacy, not the finance world.

It doesn't matter if she was threatened by you or not. If you were good, your sup will dictate your position, not her. If she was bad, she would be demoted already (if your sup was a good sup).

I personally have never heard of a pharmacist being "threatened" by another pharmacist (and I've heard of horror stories of conflicts but it's more due to excessive estrogen in the pharmacy). It's pharmacy, not the finance world.

It doesn't matter if she was threatened by you or not. If you were good, your sup will dictate your position, not her. If she was bad, she would be demoted already (if your sup was a good sup).

I transferred out already. She is friends with our supervisor and uses their friendship to intimidate people. Our supervisor wanted us to work together and when she couldn't get her way with the supervisor, she went to employee relations. I can't disclose how far she went because I don't know who's reading but she went so far that a lot of people were disgusted. I doubt that she did all that just because she didn't like working with me.

I transferred out already. She is friends with our supervisor and uses their friendship to intimidate people. Our supervisor wanted us to work together and when she couldn't get her way with the supervisor, she went to employee relations. I can't disclose how far she went because I don't know who's reading but she went so far that a lot of people were disgusted. I doubt that she did all that just because she didn't like working with me.

In chain pharmacy, it's all about results and numbers. If your old PIC struggled mightily as you said at her job, the DM or someone higher up would have stepped in and demoted her. There's no such thing as "close" relationship in chain pharmacy. I've seen a sup demote her close "friends" to staff or floaters b/c they couldn't meet the targets.

And if you were a good staff RPH, you shouldn't have been intimidated by anyone. Your techs would have backed you up in terms of your performance if anyone questioned you.

But it's good that you did get out of that situation. It's never good to work in an environment that is toxic since you see her or your co-workers on a daily basis.

If your old PIC struggled mightily as you said at her job, the DM or someone higher up would have stepped in and demoted her.

Sometimes bad performing pharmacy manager is under bad pharmacy district managers who is under fire himself or herself. I have seen 6 pharmacy district managers leaving by quitting in the region in the past 7 years.

I have known at least 3 cases where demotions of pharmacy manger is the command from higher manager, not idea of direct district manager. And the district manager was actually trying to help keeping pharmacy manager by moving pharmacy manager to new store to try again. I share because I don't want demoted pharmacist to live in hate. Sometimes, a pharmacy district manager is commanded to replace pharmacy manager. Why? Higher managers can see numbers, too.

Your techs would have backed you up in terms of your performance if anyone questioned you.

I sure hope so. I am in good term with most of my techs. And I know my district manager gives lots of weights to opinion of pharmacy managers so the chance of my district manager investigate to ask technician about my performance is slim but if anyone ask, I have confidence my techs will tell that I am good. Why? I treat others the way I want to be treated.

This was not a performance issue. Our pharmacy was performing very well.
My techs backed me up when she went to employee relation claiming hostile work environment.

I would love to have engaged staff pharmacists who don't need me to babysit them and who take initiative to solve problems and issues. You would have no problem working with me.

It was easy for me to believe because this was an easy job for her. She couldn't handle the last store she managed and they threw a party when she left

Now that I know that you're equally as miserable in your personal life like she is, I will ignore any respond from you from this point. .

You don't like responding to me because I usually speak the truth. I'm not your friend nor your rxm. I'm not here to sugar coat anything. I call bullsht when I see it. I see immature people trying to rationalize why someone would hate them by thinking that the other person is jealous or envious. This is the logic of a 16 year old who is in struggling with her own insecurity. As a professional, you should have sat down and talked to your rxm and identify the issue. I'm sure you didn't because all of this is in your head.

I am an RXM and I know first-hand; if I had a stellar staff pharmacist, I would highly recommend him/her to my DM for promotion. I would never feel threatened because if I was demoted, it would be because I had it coming and not because some stellar staff rph was taking over my spot. No DM would sign on a stellar RXM just to lose another one. It just doesn't make sense.

Here is what I think happened: your rxm doesn't like working with you because you're either a drag on her store's workflow or she just doesn't like the way you work. The techs are not siding with you; they're just too nice to break it to you when you ask them face-to-face. I'm sure the fact that you're no longer in that store is mainly due to your RXM complaining to your DM; you got moved, so the DM obviously sided with her.

This is the most likely scenario. Again, I'm just here to shed some light into an otherwise very shallow attempt to feed your ego. You say you come seeking advice, but each time, I feel like you're just here to seek validation.

Heads or tails...I call it like I see it.

Last edited:
You don't like responding to me because I usually speak the truth. I'm not your friend nor your rxm. I'm not here to sugar coat anything. I call bullsht when I see it. I see immature people trying to rationalize why someone would hate them by thinking that the other person is jealous or envious. This is the logic of a 16 year old who is in struggling with her own insecurity. As a professional, you should have sat down and talked to your rxm and identify the issue. I'm sure you didn't because all of this is in your head.

I am an RXM and I know first-hand; if I had a stellar staff pharmacist, I would highly recommend him/her to my DM for promotion. I would never feel threatened because if I was demoted, it would be because I had it coming and not because some stellar staff rph was taking over my spot. No DM would sign on a stellar RXM just to lose another one. It just doesn't make sense.

Here is what I think happened: your rxm doesn't like working with you because you're either a drag on her store's workflow or she just doesn't like the way you work. The techs are not siding with you; they're just too nice to break it to you when you ask them face-to-face. I'm sure the fact that you're no longer in that store is mainly due to your RXM complaining to your DM; you got moved, so the DM obviously sided with her.

This is the most likely scenario. Again, I'm just here to shed some light into an otherwise very shallow attempt to feed your ego. You say you come seeking advice, but each time, I feel like you're just here to seek validation.

Heads or tails...I call it like I see it.

Then you haven't been a manager for long or in many locations. I see **** like this all the time. People are strange creatures. Insecure people do stuff just like this. If I can't be the star, I'll cause trouble.... So, while I won't call BS on you, I'll say your world view is very narrow. There are managers who are the only ones who can do anything right, everybody else is a f-up. That's the guy I replaced. My partner, who is the sweetest person, was at her wit's end now she is as happy as could be. The engagement when from 25% to 75% after 1 year. The PIC/RXM sets the tone. Some time the tone is good and sometimes the tone is bad.....

Then you haven't been a manager for long or in many locations. I see **** like this all the time. People are strange creatures. Insecure people do stuff just like this. If I can't be the star, I'll cause trouble.... So, while I won't call BS on you, I'll say your world view is very narrow. There are managers who are the only ones who can do anything right, everybody else is a f-up. That's the guy I replaced. My partner, who is the sweetest person, was at her wit's end now she is as happy as could be. The engagement when from 25% to 75% after 1 year. The PIC/RXM sets the tone. Some time the tone is good and sometimes the tone is bad.....

He is just so narrow minded and arrogant, I don't even know how to respond to him sometimes. I refuse to engage him anymore.

Just for the record, I was at that store before the rxm. I came there as a floater to cover maternity leave, was the only pharmacist (no rxm) there for 3 months and ended up as the staff rxm.
The techs didn't have to say anything to my face , they said it to the LP as I didn't even know I was being investigated. Her claim was dismissed.

Why would you use "he said...she said" logic to back up yours argument? Certainly, there has to be something more concrete that you have to offer? 25% to 75%? Did you pull that number out of your butt? Seriously, leave personal stories out of debates. I know a dude who knows a dude who is PIC with this other dude that contradicts everything you've said. Is that good?

OP posted a scenario asking for input while setting up the details of her story to align with her own bias. It's pretty clear. Again, I just like to call out bs when I see it. Nothing more. I am not here to argue about what happened in your store; I really don't care and if I gave any indication that I did...i just want to make it clear again...I don't care what happened at your store.

My problem with OP's post is that I don't believe it to be the truth or an accurate representation of what happened, at all. She starts off by assuming that the other person (the rxm) is jealous of her because she is so good (humble brag much?). I mean, I would expect this from my 16 year old brother...I myself would never have the audacity to assume such a thing from another professional without even sitting down and talking to him, especially if I was his partner at work? I mean...this story is so lmao if not childish....or maybe it's just a shallow attempt to boost one's ego and have the online community applaud her for it. I don't get it.

Last edited:
Who exactly told you that the PIC was threatened by you? Where did they get this information? Do you really think the PIC went up to this person and told them this?

Either:
1) This person is mocking you
2) This person is trying to make you feel better so that you succeed in your new store

In the end you are the one who got moved. I doubt weather or not the PIC even was "threatened" by you, but why should you even care? Honestly just go to work and do your job to the best of your ability. People will you like more if you don't feed into this pointless drama. I HIGHLY doubt a PIC disliked you for doing a good job and making their life easier. Just listen to what you're saying... it makes no sense.

Last edited:
Why would you use "he said...she said" logic to back up yours argument? Certainly, there has to be something more concrete that you have to offer? 25% to 75%? Did you pull that number out of your butt? Seriously, leave personal stories out of debates. I know a dude who knows a dude who is PIC with this other dude that contradicts everything you've said. Is that good?

OP posted a scenario asking for input while setting up the details of her story to align with her own bias. It's pretty clear. Again, I just like to call out bs when I see it. Nothing more. I am not here to argue about what happened in your store; I really don't care and if I gave any indication that I did...i just want to make it clear again...I don't care what happened at your store.

My problem with OP's post is that I don't believe it to be the truth or an accurate representation of what happened, at all. She starts off by assuming that the other person (the rxm) is jealous of her because she is so good (humble brag much?). I mean, I would expect this from my 16 year old brother...I myself would never have the audacity to assume such a thing from another professional without even sitting down and talking to him, especially if I was his partner at work? I mean...this story is so lmao if not childish....or maybe it's just a shallow attempt to boost one's ego and have the online community applaud her for it. I don't get it.

So now I will call BS on you.

It's not he said she said. It's obvious you know much about nothing. When I took over my store the morale was bad because the previous PIC was a total jerk. Nice guy, bad boss. Every year CVS does an engagement survey. The last year the PIC was there the engagement was 25%. The first year I was there the engagement was 75%. Didn't make it up.

Again, you must have very narrow experience. I have seen this thing time and time again. Human beings are insecure. They can't have anyone around to take the shine off of them. If you haven't experienced people like that you either haven't experienced much or it;s time for a trip to the eye doctor.

Unless you personally know what's going on in her store, you're being a jerk.

Who exactly told you that the PIC was threatened by you? Where did they get this information? Do you really think the PIC went up to this person and told them this?

Either:
2) This person is trying to make you feel better so that you succeed in your new store

In the end you are the one who got moved. I doubt weather or not the PIC even was "threatened" by you, but why should you even care? Honestly just go to work and do your job to the best of your ability. People will you like more if you don't feed into this pointless drama. I HIGHLY doubt a PIC disliked you for doing a good job and making their life easier. Just listen to what you're saying... it makes no sense.

I requested for a transfer, I didn't get moved. I even posted about it here when I was waiting to hear back from my supervisor.

I hope you don't ever get to work with someone like her. Good luck.

Well in the end weather it was the supervisor or not you got out of there which is the best case scenario. How's the new store?

Well in the end weather it was the supervisor or not you got out of there which is the best case scenario. How's the new store?

It's nothing like my old store (there are not many stores around here like my old store) . I loved everything about my old store except my rxm and I wouldn't have left if she wasn't dragging me around.
My new rxm is very laid back and the people are nice. Lots of Spanish speaking patients so communication is a problem. I love to talk to patient and now I can't because I don't speak Spanish. I am trying to learn though, don't know how long it will take.

It seems like this rxm was not very good at her job. I've been a manager for 4 years at 3 different stores and I've never felt threatened by my partner or the risk of being demoted. 3 of my previous partners were quite satisfied being a staff pharmacist, and the other one was very good so I recommended her promotion. Not once did I feel like my position was in jeopardy. I know I'm good at my job and an asset to the company.

So now I will call BS on you.

It's not he said she said. It's obvious you know much about nothing. When I took over my store the morale was bad because the previous PIC was a total jerk. Nice guy, bad boss. Every year CVS does an engagement survey. The last year the PIC was there the engagement was 25%. The first year I was there the engagement was 75%. Didn't make it up.

Again, you must have very narrow experience. I have seen this thing time and time again. Human beings are insecure. They can't have anyone around to take the shine off of them. If you haven't experienced people like that you either haven't experienced much or it;s time for a trip to the eye doctor.

Unless you personally know what's going on in her store, you're being a jerk.

Don't try to pass personal experience as facts when you're arguing. No one can verify any of what you're saying; so it's moot.

As for OP, I don't know what happened in her store and that's not my point. The problem I have is that she comes on here to present a scenario with all the details aligned to her bias. She basically wants everyone on here to pat on her on the back and say "good job." It's highly pretentious and immature. All this time that she claimed the RXM "hated" her, she never thought to actually sit down and talk to this person to address any issue like a grow up adult would. What most likely happened was that she got moved and feels slighted by that, and now wants to come on here to seek validation.

Either:

This is exactly on point

Don't try to pass personal experience as facts when you're arguing. No one can verify any of what you're saying; so it's moot.

As for OP, I don't know what happened in her store and that's not my point. The problem I have is that she comes on here to present a scenario with all the details aligned to her bias. She basically wants everyone on here to pat on her on the back and say "good job." It's highly pretentious and immature. All this time that she claimed the RXM "hated" her, she never thought to actually sit down and talk to this person to address any issue like a grow up adult would. What most likely happened was that she got moved and feels slighted by that, and now wants to come on here to seek validation.

You're just full of it. You are not involved in the situation, but you know the OP is lying? My 35 years of experience is worthless even though I have observed the same thing many times But you know everything. Best to just put you on Ignore.... Not interested in a discussion, just a monologue.

You're just full of it. You are not involved in the situation, but you know the OP is lying? My 35 years of experience is worthless even though I have observed the same thing many times But you know everything. Best to just put you on Ignore.... Not interested in a discussion, just a monologue.

She might be lying; she might not. That was never my point. I don't think reading comprehension is your thing so you definitely should just leave this for people that can read and understand. You have 35 years of experience? I have 90 years under my belt. Beat that.

I made several efforts to get her to meet and talk but she wasn't interested. I sent her texts after texts explaining to her how the conflict between us was affecting our techs because I felt they were very uncomfortable. She never responded to any of them.

I do believe your story, as I've had a manager that was just as you described, over-the-top paranoid and irrational. (later we learned she had a hidden drug problem)

BUT, I will say, repeatedly texting her when she obviously didn't want your texts is harassment, and was probably fodder for her going to human resources. It's one thing to let someone know you are open to communication, but if they rebuff the effort, then either 1) drop it and just do your job or find another job or 2) ask a higher up to mediate a talk between you two (unlikely to work, since it takes 2 to communicate, and if one person doesn't want to communicate, they aren't going to communicate, even if forced to sit and pretend like they are.) Your repeatedly texting someone who already had issues, probably did nothing but fuel the fires of their paranoia even more.