You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Seton Hall Medical School
Started by ChrisMack390
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
That is not what they will be doing. AMCAS app goes live next week.
Where did you see this, I cant find very much info on their website
Anyone know what the tuition will look like?
Edit: Also just called the school and they told me they are still not 100% they will be having a Fall 18 class and arent allowed to release what the tuition will look like. She said more news will come very soon
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am excited, plus I don't think it will hurt graduates because for one it is affiliated with Hackensack Meredian Health, the dean seems to be a well connected person, and it is affiliated with an established University..
So overall as a pre-med student what I am looking for in a med school is
#1 What will my options be for clinical rotations at x med school
#2 Connection to other places
I find both important because almost 36000 med students competed for almost 32000 spots...
(Prestige doesn't matter to me, a doctor will find a job anywhere, and your patients don't care if you didn't go to some big name.. Plus go look at some of the big name hospital faculty profiles, the faculty comes from all over, even internationally.)
That above by the way is one of the reason the Caribbean is a terrible choice.
See, the thing is the first two years *might* be the same, medicine is medicine.. The quality of clinicals will be subpar though compared to schools here.. Also FMG is insanely hard to match now...
So yeah
10/10 would apply, and I think this school will be awesome.
So overall as a pre-med student what I am looking for in a med school is
#1 What will my options be for clinical rotations at x med school
#2 Connection to other places
I find both important because almost 36000 med students competed for almost 32000 spots...
(Prestige doesn't matter to me, a doctor will find a job anywhere, and your patients don't care if you didn't go to some big name.. Plus go look at some of the big name hospital faculty profiles, the faculty comes from all over, even internationally.)
That above by the way is one of the reason the Caribbean is a terrible choice.
See, the thing is the first two years *might* be the same, medicine is medicine.. The quality of clinicals will be subpar though compared to schools here.. Also FMG is insanely hard to match now...
So yeah
10/10 would apply, and I think this school will be awesome.
ive been waiting since the summer to apply, what do you guys think 501 3.6 new jersey connection 🙂
Study harder and retake the MCAT. try getting a 510 or so. Pretty sure since it's new that doesn't mean that it'll be easy to get into.
I am excited, plus I don't think it will hurt graduates because for one it is affiliated with Hackensack Meredian Health, the dean seems to be a well connected person, and it is affiliated with an established University..
So overall as a pre-med student what I am looking for in a med school is
#1 What will my options be for clinical rotations at x med school
#2 Connection to other places
I find both important because almost 36000 med students competed for almost 32000 spots...
(Prestige doesn't matter to me, a doctor will find a job anywhere, and your patients don't care if you didn't go to some big name.. Plus go look at some of the big name hospital faculty profiles, the faculty comes from all over, even internationally.)
That above by the way is one of the reason the Caribbean is a terrible choice.
See, the thing is the first two years *might* be the same, medicine is medicine.. The quality of clinicals will be subpar though compared to schools here.. Also FMG is insanely hard to match now...
So yeah
10/10 would apply, and I think this school will be awesome.
Nothing is easy my friend.Study harder and retake the MCAT. try getting a 510 or so. Pretty sure since it's new that doesn't mean that it'll be easy to get into.
The only school ever to enroll the same year as accreditation was Northstate. Smart money says Seton Hall will start a normal application cycle in June/July of this year, and seat the inaugural class in 2019.
CalMed also just received prelim accreditation and announced on their website yesterday that they'll welcome their first class this August. Money, money, money I guess.
News | CUSM
GO WARRIORRRSSSSSSSSSCalMed also just received prelim accreditation and announced on their website yesterday that they'll welcome their first class this August. Money, money, money I guess.
News | CUSM
CalMed also just received prelim accreditation and announced on their website yesterday that they'll welcome their first class this August. Money, money, money I guess.
News | CUSM
Are there any other med schools opening fall 2018 I dont know about lol
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
CalMed also just received prelim accreditation and announced on their website yesterday that they'll welcome their first class this August. Money, money, money I guess.
News | CUSM
Well, CalMed has also started on a shoestring budget, in 2017 terms. It doesn't surprise me that they need to fill the coffers ASAP.
Well, CalMed has also started on a shoestring budget, in 2017 terms. It doesn't surprise me that they need to fill the coffers ASAP.
Any word on what their tuition will be?
Edit: nvm just saw it, 58k
55,000 + 3,000 in fees. Check out the fact sheet on their website
I was really hoping one of these new schools will be tuition free like the new one in illinois
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
55,000 + 3,000 in fees. Check out the fact sheet on their website
Can you post a link? I must be looking in the wrong place on the med school’s website. Thanks
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Can you post a link? I must be looking in the wrong place on the med school’s website. Thanks
http://www.calmedu.org/docs/CUSM_School_of_Medicine_FACT_SHEET.pdf
Check out the bottom left corner of the first page
CalMed also just received prelim accreditation and announced on their website yesterday that they'll welcome their first class this August. Money, money, money I guess.
News | CUSM
That school is going to fill fast, and rise to a solid mid tier fast..
Any California school is going to get a bazillion applicants
You can’t blame the weather for being amazingThat school is going to fill fast, and rise to a solid mid tier fast..
Any California school is going to get a bazillion applicants
Better than the Carribean, worse than Harvard.How do you guys think the new medical schools (CUSM, Carle Illinois, Nova, Seton Hall) will rank up in 5-10 years?
How do you guys think the new medical schools (CUSM, Carle Illinois, Nova, Seton Hall) will rank up in 5-10 years?
If ONLY I can see the future...
OR... can I?
Last edited:
http://www.calmedu.org/docs/CUSM_School_of_Medicine_FACT_SHEET.pdf
Check out the bottom left corner of the first page
Thanks!
I would suspect that Seton Hall’s would be similar.
I’ve read on other sites that it costs $100k-150k per year to educate each med student.
That school is going to fill fast, and rise to a solid mid tier fast..
Any California school is going to get a bazillion applicants
Absolutely! California has the most med school applicants and for many, no place to go.
I wonder if these late-accepting new med schools will have any insight as to whether any of their applicants already have acceptances? IMHO, since time is critical, they would focus on very qualified students who don’t yet have any acceptances, with maybe the exception of some very desirable students. If they each need to matriculate about 50 students, each interviewing about 200 empty-handed qualified applicants should get them enough butts in seats in the fall.
Thanks!
I would suspect that Seton Hall’s would be similar.
I’ve read on other sites that it costs $100k-150k per year to educate each med student.
How is the illinois school affording to have all their students go for free?
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
How is the illinois school affording to have all their students go for free?
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Other med schools have done the same for their inaugural class. Maybe when you just have 50 MS1 students, the cost is much less or their donors are suppling the funds. The idea behind the free year offer is to appeal to strong students who otherwise wouldn’t apply to a brand new med.
So is there any indication Seton Hall would offer significant scholarships? If they were to, I would at least throw my hat in the ring
So is there any indication Seton Hall would offer significant scholarships? If they were to, I would at least throw my hat in the ring
Havent heard anything.
Do you have any MD acceptances? If so, why would you apply? If you don’t, why wouldn’t you?
If an admissions person here could comment as to whether and when Seton Hall Med would know if their applicants have other acceptances. And if they will know (assuming that they’d be reviewing apps in April ), do you think that they’d be more likely to send II’s to qualified applicants who aren’t already holding acceptances? I’m thinking that with a shortened app season, and with the heads up, they could be more efficient in issuing IIs.
they will not know until the national acceptance report is first published in early April
Are there traffic rules as to how late a med school can offer IIs? And if there are, is it likely these two new meds would be given waivers to issue IIs beyond any date?
Are there traffic rules as to how late a med school can offer IIs?
There are not.
Seton Hall has nothing on its website about admissions (CUSM does). Seton Hall is apparently not in AMCAS yet (CUSM is). These are not the signs of a school eager to matriculate its first class in 6 months.
There are not.
Seton Hall has nothing on its website about admissions (CUSM does). Seton Hall is apparently not in AMCAS yet (CUSM is). These are not the signs of a school eager to matriculate its first class in 6 months.
This is a pretty big assumption to make lol. Im sure becoming an accredited medical school in the US doesnt happen overnight...
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
This is a pretty big assumption to make lol. Im sure becoming an accredited medical school in the US doesnt happen overnight...
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
I’m not sure I follow you.
any news on whether applications will open for this cycle?
any news on whether applications will open for this cycle?
I called again today and they wont really say much. They just keep saying to keep an eye on their website
The AAMC traffic rules say that all schools must offer the number of acceptances = to the amount of available seats by March 15th. How are the new schools going to do that? Unless they got a waiver or something.
Would they still have to issue acceptances to at least the amount of students in the class by March 15th as per the traffic rules?they will not know until the national acceptance report is first published in early April
CUSM is using it so they would have to follow the 3/15 rule?While the committee that promulgates these rules are technically AAMC, the rules apply to schools using AMCAS in a normal cycle. I do not believe that this late in the cycle, Seton Hall can/will be using AMCAS
Has anyone gotten a secondary yet?CUSM is using it so they would have to follow the 3/15 rule?
nope, but someone on their forum said they are not eligible for federal loans.Has anyone gotten a secondary yet?
That was my guess as well.....appreciate your insight, thanks!It would seem likely they have a specific waiver or there is some rule/process that exempts inaugural classes or schools that have an application after a certain date
Nothing is easy my friend.
Right, I'm pretty sure that's what I stated in my post.
anyone have an update?
Better than the Carribean, worse than Harvard.
Would they not be better than DO schools?
I feel like if they were going to open they would have done so already.
I feel like if they were going to open they would have done so already.
One can hope 🙂
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
any updates?
Havent seen anything yet. Its someone elses turn to call, I already have 4 times

Havent seen anything yet. Its someone elses turn to call, I already have 4 times![]()
It's not happening this year, folks. Time to accept reality.
Edit: I stand corrected. Although I am perplexed as to what kept them from going live until just now.
Last edited:
Anyone see their anticipated class size, I can't seem to find it anywhere
Nvm just saw 55
Nvm just saw 55
Last edited:
Similar threads
- Replies
- 0
- Views
- 389