Seton Hall Medical School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ChrisMack390

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering what the SDN community thoughts are on this new medical school, projected to accept its first class in 2017. I am excited because it will be IS for me (though private), because the campus they are building it on is gorgeous, and because both Seton Hall and Hackensack Medical Center have solid reputations. I am a bit wary of being the "test dummy" class, but that's something to think about if/when I get to decide whether to matriculate.

Other than the initial announcement, the news has been pretty scant. Does anyone have any more info? I'm not sure what the timeline is like on such things.

Members don't see this ad.

I was wondering what the SDN community thoughts are on this new medical school, projected to accept its first class in 2017. I am excited because it will be IS for me (though private), because the campus they are building it on is gorgeous, and because both Seton Hall and Hackensack Medical Center have solid reputations. I am a bit wary of being the "test dummy" class, but that's something to think about if/when I get to decide whether to matriculate.

Other than the initial announcement, the news has been pretty scant. Does anyone have any more info? I'm not sure what the timeline is like on such things.
It will be a good school, Hackensack is a terrific academic locale. Probably closest in similarity to Hofstra, an established uni sets up a desirable MD school, and it will rise to top 50 in maybe a decade. Apply to it!

How many more new schools are going to open?

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Any word on whether this is a private school with a mission to serve NJ(like TCMC or something for PA) or if this is a school that will take a significant number of OOS?

It will be a good school, Hackensack is a terrific academic locale. Probably closest in similarity to Hofstra, an established uni sets up a desirable MD school, and it will rise to top 50 in maybe a decade. Apply to it!

As an NJ resident with mediocre stats, I will apply for sure. Looks like there will be some great opportunities there and I agree it has a good chance to shoot up in the rankings. With this and the new DO school opening NJ is going to have five state medicine programs. Getting luckier by the minute :)

Any word on whether this is a private school with a mission to serve NJ(like TCMC or something for PA) or if this is a school that will take a significant number of OOS?

One of the announcements I saw said something about addressing the projected physician shortage in NJ, but given Seton Hall's research interests, the proximity to NYC, and the fact that the school is being converted from an old Roche research center, I do not foresee them being singularly focused on local PCP training.

haven't heard much about it but assuming it gets preliminary LCME accreditation, go for it

LCME gave them approval to move forward with establishing a school. No news since, which is somewhat concerning because they should be ready to accept applications less than a year from now.

Reactions: 1 user
I called them and the women said their app will open in march for students matriculating in Fall 2018, which makes little sense

last i saw it was supposed to open in 2018, but maybe that means the first class will start 2019?
2019 might be doable. Here's the latest.
Accreditation - Seton Hall University

I'm trying to say this in the nicest possible way, but some SDNers seem almost allergic to actually going to med school websites and looking for available information.

Reactions: 4 users
I called them and the women said their app will open in march for students matriculating in Fall 2018, which makes little sense

Wait what? They'll be ready to take students in next year?

Members don't see this ad :)
CNU did something like this...I would expect better from Seton Hall.

How does that work with applications? When would you have to apply and I also wonder how they'll be handling interviews if it's so late in the cycle already.

I would imagine a mad rush of interviews in the spring and summer!

I'm struggling to understand why a school would do that. Wouldn't this mean that they are choosing their class from a pool of students who were not admitted to other MD programs? Surely no student would drop their acceptance to an established school in favor of this last-minute attempt to fill a charter class. What's the benefit of rushing?

I'm struggling to understand why a school would do that. Wouldn't this mean that they are choosing their class from a pool of students who were not admitted to other MD programs? Surely no student would drop their acceptance to an established school in favor of this last-minute attempt to fill a charter class. What's the benefit of rushing?

First classes are often small. Maybe their thought process is to hopefully matriculate about 50 otherwise-qualified students who were overlooked/rejected because they were late applicants to MD schools (maybe applied in Sept/Oct) or some of the many Calif strong applicants who are empty-handed . If that's the case, certainly they can find 50 qualified students.

2019 might be doable. Here's the latest.
Accreditation - Seton Hall University

I'm trying to say this in the nicest possible way, but some SDNers seem almost allergic to actually going to med school websites and looking for available information.
If we went to the websites, then how would us posters get to ask redundant questions or questions that are answered via a simple google?!

Mcas

Does that mean that they're going to use their own app and not use AMCAS? Or maybe those who've already submitted AMCAS for this cycle will be allowed to add SH? If so, would SH be privy to who already is holding a MD acceptance so perhaps they would focus on those qualified, but empty dance card?

Money is a powerful motivator.

Reactions: 3 users
There was a committee formed to interview medical students at other allopathic schools in NJ to get them involved in developing this new medical school.

I think this was a great idea on their part, though ultimately they didn't let the NJMS or RWJ students I spoke to actively get involved in development or offer suggestions so much as look to them for feedback on their proposed curriculum and mission statement.

In speaking to some NJMS and RWJ students about this when they were holding these meetings (in 2015), this was the overall gist:

"We think humanism is missing from the formal medical education curriculum. We would like to incorporate more humanism in the form of regular essays reflecting on clinic experiences that start in the first year."

"We want to attract students who are committed to practicing medicine utilizing Catholic values"

"Medical students need to spend more time writing and becoming more effective communicators."

While I appreciate some of the sentiments, what they are proposing sounds like a lot more of the parts of medical school that nobody likes. This is akin to the ABIM trying to increase empathy and humanism by adding another multiple choice exam on the subject so that board certified IM docs can jump through another hoop.

Hackensack is a great hospital, and if you are interested in surgery it's going to be a great place to train.

Hackensack medicine rotations teach you the art of documentation for maximum reimbursement and not much else. The medicine attendings are physicians staffed by a private hospitalist group. Would you like to guess how much Teaching America's Future Doctors is incentivized in that system? Hopefully the medical school opening will lead to the funding of clinical professorships and lead it to become a more academic/university type atmosphere. Otherwise, as far as medicine is concerned, HUMC will continue to function much more like a private community hospital with respect to the education offered to medical students.

Also, coinciding with the new medical school, the hospital has split from other residency programs in the area and are starting their own residency programs (at least in medicine and urology) from scratch; these were formerly associated with the Rutgers NJMS residency program. I don't know who is going to want to rank a brand new residency program particularly highly, so I suspect many of the residents teaching the new med school class will be FMGs. This is not necessarily a bad thing, as FMGs are often very, very intelligent and fantastic clinicians. But I also found on my rotations that FMGs tended to be more serious about clinical work than teaching and made learning less fun for me as a medical student. Then again, they may be able to fill the program with some IMGs from the Caribbean...the SGU alum residents who taught me on clerkships were some of the best teachers I ever had.

Granted these curricular meetings were 2 years ago now and things may have changed; and of course my horrible generalizations about FMGs are just that -- generalizations. They are based on my limited experience with 3 or 4 FMGs during all of MS3 and should be taken with a grain of salt.

Last edited:
I would like to add that, in spite of the potential problems, anyone applying to medical school from the state of NJ should be applying to this school as well. While you'd be hard pressed to choose it over any other in-state medical school, you will get an LCME accredited education from them and you'll probably match better than you would leaving the country. Every medical school has annoying administrative or structural issues to a certain extent, and if you are focused on getting the best education you can, you should be well-prepared for residency no matter which school you go to in the USA.

I am a bit wary of being the "test dummy" class, b

I wouldn't worry about this for a US MD school that isn't for profit.

US MD education is sometimes referred to as "flat", meaning that they all know what they have to teach and do. In other words, they all teach the same things. Likely, SH has hired professionals with previous MD med school experience to make sure that the quality is there. As you mentioned, SH and HMC are quality operations. If this med school were to be your only option, go.

Wait...is this school's first class going to be starting in 2018?

Wait...is this school's first class going to be starting in 2018?

Supposedly. The rumor is that SH is going to hold late interviews in the spring and begin in the fall. If so, I'm guessing that those with processed AMCAS apps will be allowed to add SH, quickly get a secondary (if SH requires) and then SH will quickly start interviewing.

Technically, they have to have bodies in the seats by Sept 30th, so they have some wiggle room for a start date.

Usually inaugural classes are small, 50 or fewer, so maybe they'd only have to interview 250 to get there. Perhaps also they'll have the luxury of knowing which qualified applicants still do not have acceptances. Maybe someone here knows if that would be a possibility. If so, then that would grease the wheels quite nicely.

Nova MD was granted prelim accreditation and can start recruiting - perhaps Seton's scheduled visit is soon or has already occurred?

Nova MD was granted prelim accreditation and can start recruiting - perhaps Seton's scheduled visit is soon or has already occurred?

so we can apply to NOVA now? update please.....

It says on non-mobile (I couldn't see it on mobile either) late October they will be on AMCAS.
does this mean that they will be accepting students for the Fall 2018 semester? or Fall 2019? I'm currently in the process of applying for this current 2017-2018 cycle. Can I still add Seton Hall for this cycle?

does this mean that they will be accepting students for the Fall 2018 semester? or Fall 2019? I'm currently in the process of applying for this current 2017-2018 cycle. Can I still add Seton Hall for this cycle?

They're talking about NOVA, not Seton Hall. It does not look like Seton was voted on in the most recent LCME meeting. They will presumably be brought up at the February meeting. So no, you will not be able to apply to Seton this cycle.

ive been waiting since the summer to apply, what do you guys think 501 3.6 new jersey connection :)

ive been waiting since the summer to apply, what do you guys think 501 3.6 new jersey connection :)

Any idea when the application will be released/what it will entail?

Reactions: 2 users
The only school ever to enroll the same year as accreditation was Northstate. Smart money says Seton Hall will start a normal application cycle in June/July of this year, and seat the inaugural class in 2019.

That is not what they will be doing. AMCAS app goes live next week.

Reactions: 5 users