Setting teeth help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Could you be a little bit more specific when you say "articulate them" and the pin is "jacked up"?

Always leave the pin in while setting the teeth and set one mandibular then one maxillary then one mandibular... much easier to get contacts this way as opposed to setting one arch and then the other.

Also, the maxillary teeth naturally curve upward, so the occlusal plane can still be flat while also having an upward curve, if that makes sense

Grind away some of the apical portion of the teeth and some of the record base as well.

Last edited:
The first think you need to make sure is that you have enough room for the denture teeth, like ncide was saying. If you don't have enough clearance, they'll never fit.

Here was one really easy trick that I used to set posteriors - get one arch - lets say the bottom- exactly like you want it using the occlusal plane (square piece of metal that you set the teeth against). Next, be sure you have your pin set at the correct VDO, make sure it's super tightly screwed in so it doesn't move. Next, get the opposing denture teeth set in a roughly correct position just based on the width of the tooth and not in crossbite, and make the occlusion a bit high - meaning the pin will be open. Make sure the lower arch wax is very cold and hard. Using a really hot waxing instrument, heat up all the wax around the upper teeth so that its soft and movable. Firmly close the articulator until the pin closes, and the teeth will magically be in more or less their perfect final position. Very slight fine tuning is usually needed.

I hope that makes sense, it helped me save so much time setting teeth, as at Pitt, we had to set teeth for every single denture we did, and I did over 20. Basically you take your time setting one arch, and then you just really quickly throw the opposing teeth on, smash it together, and you're more or less done.

Reactions: 1 user