Severe Anxiety While In Vet School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

simple_sweetheart

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I am in my 2nd semester at vet school and am running into a situation that I was hoping someone could give me some guidance on. I thoroughly enjoy the veterinary program...there is no question about that. I couldn't ask for a better program :) I went home over the Christmas break this past winter and when I returned I developed severe anxiety after two nights of being unable to sleep. The anxiety developed to the point that my mother came down to spend 3 weeks with me (I have been able to discuss all of this with my family as we are very close and I feel comfortable discussing it with them). The doctor I have been seeing prescribed me an SSRI and another medication to bridge-over the anxiety until the SSRI gets into my system (I have only been taking it for 3 weeks). I am fine when I am at school or surrounded by people(for example when I go to a dance class with one of my classmates) but it is at night or when I am alone in my apartment (I live alone with my two cats) that the anxiety really sets in. It is a sense of loneliness and fear of being alone. I have never had a problem like this (I have lived away from home on my own before). While my mom was here the anxiety was at bay and almost non-existent. However she left last night and the anxiety and fear has returned to the max. I have an appointment to meet with one of our school's counselors this week and i return to see the doctor in two more weeks. I am just frustrated and aggravated with this since it is inhibiting from focusing on classes. I was wondering if anyone has gone through something similar and could provide some support or advice to help me overcome this. Because for sure I do wan't to stay in this program, there is no question about it.

Thank you for reading and any help is appreciated! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Hello,

I am in my 2nd semester at vet school and am running into a situation that I was hoping someone could give me some guidance on. I thoroughly enjoy the veterinary program...there is no question about that. I couldn't ask for a better program :) I went home over the Christmas break this past winter and when I returned I developed severe anxiety after two nights of being unable to sleep. The anxiety developed to the point that my mother came down to spend 3 weeks with me (I have been able to discuss all of this with my family as we are very close and I feel comfortable discussing it with them). The doctor I have been seeing prescribed me an SSRI and another medication to bridge-over the anxiety until the SSRI gets into my system (I have only been taking it for 3 weeks). I am fine when I am at school or surrounded by people(for example when I go to a dance class with one of my classmates) but it is at night or when I am alone in my apartment (I live alone with my two cats) that the anxiety really sets in. It is a sense of loneliness and fear of being alone. I have never had a problem like this (I have lived away from home on my own before). While my mom was here the anxiety was at bay and almost non-existent. However she left last night and the anxiety and fear has returned to the max. I have an appointment to meet with one of our school's counselors this week and i return to see the doctor in two more weeks. I am just frustrated and aggravated with this since it is inhibiting from focusing on classes. I was wondering if anyone has gone through something similar and could provide some support or advice to help me overcome this. Because for sure I do wan't to stay in this program, there is no question about it.

Thank you for reading and any help is appreciated! :)

Might not get you anywhere, but I would consider calling your doctor and seeing if you can get in any sooner than two more weeks. The problem is disrupting your life.

If it really is only happening when you're alone at home, maybe see if you could crash with a classmate/friend for 4-5 days to help get it back under control.

Make sure the school counselor you're meeting with is appropriately trained/qualified. If not, step it up to someone who is.

When it's happening, can you redirect the energy by focusing on something useful? Studying? Cleaning the apartment? Go for a run/exercise?

Exercise, exercise, exercise. Amazing mental health benefits.

Hang in there. Overwhelming anxiety sucks. Make sure you have a friend to share it with outside of your family (as in, someone who is local).

Talk to your doctor, therapists, whoever. They need to understand that this is disrupting your life and it's basically an emergency.

I'm glad your mom was able to come; mine stayed with me for a week when my anxiety flared up in the fall. After trying to get an appointment w/ campus counseling, I finally went to the hospital and that was a huge step in improving things. What would've taken me a week or more to do in outpatient appointments I was able to do in less than 3 days. I did have to stay overnight, but it made focusing on getting better quickly easier.

Have you tried cognitive behavioral therapy? I know that really helped with me, as did getting a roommate. Getting a roomie also saved me money :p

SSRIs can take a few weeks to get going. I'm assuming (you don't have to answer if you don't want to) the "bridge" medication is a benzo of some kind? I was originally on Xanax, but I could only take it every 8 hours and it was wearing off around the 5 hour mark. Switched to Clonezepam and it worked a lot better. I rarely need it now, but when I do, it's not disruptive to my studying. Of course, what works for you might be different. I know the counselor here at our vet school said a different drug really made a difference for other students, but I can't remember the name. I was also given an antihistamine to help me sleep if the other stuff wasn't cutting it, but don't do this without asking your doctor first.