Severe Post-match blues

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mtnexplorer5

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone:
Does anyone know if its possible to get out of match?? Has anyone ever been or knows anyone who has ever been in this situation?
I just matched in a categorical surgery at a good program in the west coast. However, after just returning from an 8 week rotation in Africa I decided that I do not want to do surgery. I am willing to fulfill my 1 year obligation to this program. However, maybe its better to inform them ahead of time and let them decide???

Members don't see this ad.

Hi there,
If you participated in the Match, you are obligated to the program that you matched in. Your best course of action is to contact your new residency director and let him or her know of your change of heart. They may release you from your contract. If not, you will have to head out to the west coast to start residency. If your program is a good one, they are not going to want a new resident who is not interested in being there.

One of the great problems with the Match system is that you have to make a life-changing decision based on little information. The fail-safe is that the program (ACGME) that accredits residencies in this country will generally make sure that each residency program can meet the needs of training or that program will be placed on probation. A word of advice to folks who are getting ready to apply for residency is to make sure that you don't apply to any programs that are on probation.

Even after starting residency, you may find that you have made a mistake and want to change to another discipline or field. You should have a good line of communication with your residency director who will, in the case of a good program, help you get into the discipline that interests you.

Surgery is not for everyone and sometimes, you have to go though internship to learn that you are not a surgeon. I have had a couple of friends who have opted out of surgery because they found that they just didn't like the lifestyle. This happens more commonly than you would think even in good residency programs.

Good luck and contact your residency director as soon as possible. They are going to be your best source of information on whether or not you will be on the west coast in July.

njbmd