Sexual Harassment on rotation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I’m saying that there are corporate departments that look into these reports. It’s company policy and the pharmacist won’t be fired because of random hearsay from an intern if there isn’t a serious concern prior.

You don't think a pharmacist's rep is just as important? I would rather keep my rep and lose my job than keep my job but lose my rep.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
You don't think a pharmacist's rep is just as important? I would rather keep my rep and lose my job than keep my job but lose my rep.

I’m saying her report (if there even is one to be made) counts, but if the pharmacist has a good work ethic and has never had problems before, it likely won’t be believed or necessitate corporate action.

Members don't see this ad :)
1. School doesn’t prepare one for anyhing
2. Vast majority of people are fine with having their white coat searched if they have nothing to hide... again, half of the cvs have done it to me... don’t like it, quit and repeat the rotation.
3. When you “unwelcome touching”- people assume u mean groped... got to be careful with what you say...

Again most people disagre with you.

It’s fine if most people disagree, I’m just hoping OP finds what she’s looking for because she asked for opinions/help. I can agree doesn’t prep you for the real world completely, but plenty of schools give professionalism lectures about what should be done in these situations. Maybe it’s not as common as it should be in the curriculum.

2. Thanks for letting me know. I’ve never seen it done, so I didn’t realize.

3. I concede that semantics are tricky and unwelcome touching can be ether light touched on the elbow or groped.

I’m saying her report (if there even is one to be made) counts, but if the pharmacist has a good work ethic and has never had problems before, it likely won’t be believed or necessitate corporate action.

You don't seem to get it. Being accused of sexual harassment is a big deal especially in pharmacy.

Reactions: 2 users
You don't seem to get it. Being accused of sexual harassment is a big deal especially in pharmacy.

Humor me without the sarcasm if you will. Why is it worse than in other medical professions?

Humor me without the sarcasm if you will. Why is it worse than in other medical professions?

The top 3 employers control well over half of pharmacist jobs. This is not the case in any other medical profession.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Flirtation = sexual harassment nowadays. Just tell him to stop if it's that big of a deal, end of story. Filing a report could ruin his life.

I just want to emphasize that some people are overlooking that she took OFF her white coat when the pharmacist checked it for anything illegal.

She was NOT touched. That would actually be blatant sexual harassment.

The pharmacist checking her white coat after it is already off is proper procedure.

On the one hand, speaking up (including talking to the RPh in question) could prevent someone from having to experience similar treatment in the future. On the other hand, it’s probably easiest to do nothing.

All places have some creepy people. Last week an IT person for our office stuck his hand inside my scrub pocket without warning. Letting stuff like that go isn’t the courageous thing. I would never let someone harass one of the technicians that I work with, and I’m not being proactive about protecting the people around me when I let stuff like that slide; however, doing nothing is the easiest way to deal with it in the moment. The path of least resistance.

Evidence (see above) suggests that I’m an unusually lazy coward so this is probably all bad advice :)

All the best to you

I think that you have a valid point about inappropriate work conduct. However, I also feel that “starring” is subjective. I am a guy and I have checked out girls. Is that a crime? What heterosexual guy hasn’t? If this guy keeps commenting on her “figure” repeatedly, yeah maybe that can make her uncomfortable, I get that....should she be bothered if it happened once, arguably just a compliment of being skinny and eating healthy? perhaps call it uncomfortable work environment, but claims sexual harrassment is completely unjustified. If she comes out and says she has been sexually harassed this guy can be in deep trouble. I’d give him benefit of the doubt of being socially awkward and address it directly to him, if he doesn’t stop that behavior then go to management

Checking someone out isn’t the same as staring. IDK about you, but I don’t need more than 10 seconds or so to check out a hot girl. This guy would have to be staring a lot longer than that in order to get caught in the act so many times. It’s plausible that he doesn’t know how creepy he’s being, but regardless, he needs to cut it out.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Clearly there is a large victim blaming cohort on this forum. The body figure comments alone are easily deemed as "crossing the line" in any work place. Was it sexual harrasment, maybe, but was it inappropriate, yes. Telling OP to suck it up, or accept the behavior is horrible. However, if she wants it to stop she will have to use her voice.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
How naive are you? I’m going to bed this is ridiculous.

I’ve “worked” in the real pharmacy world as well. My opinion counts as much as yours. Go to bed. You’re clearly cranky.

Flirtation = sexual harassment nowadays. Just tell him to stop if it's that big of a deal, end of story. Filing a report could ruin his life.

I’ve seen this attitude towards a lot of bad behavior (not just sexual harassment), and I have to say I don’t understand it. If someone is worried about their life being ruined by the consequences of their bad behavior, then the easiest way to avoid the consequences is to... behave properly. FFS, people, take a little personal responsibility!

OP, if you tell this dude to quit staring and he keeps it up, you’re not ruining his life by complaining about him. He ruined his own life when he chose to leer at you after you told him to stop.

We have to take into consideration this is coming from the OP’s POV. She made herself feel uncomfortable and made assumptions about the pharmacist by not understand CVS policy. Then she assumed the pharmacist was staring at her. Those are all just assumptions amplified by the fact she already felt uncomfortable by the unwelcomed comments (literally the only thing that’s not up for debate in her whole story).

So no, it’s not sexual harassment yet. The dude probably just likes you and wants to compliment you. If he continues to do it after you tell him to stop, then you have a case. Staying slient doesn’t help anyone.

I’ve seen this attitude towards a lot of bad behavior (not just sexual harassment), and I have to say I don’t understand it. If someone is worried about their life being ruined by the consequences of their bad behavior, then the easiest way to avoid the consequences is to... behave properly. FFS, people, take a little personal responsibility!

OP, if you tell this dude to quit staring and he keeps it up, you’re not ruining his life by complaining about him. He ruined his own life when he chose to leer at you after you told him to stop.

So now if someone merely stares at you, they deserve to have their life ruined? Give me a break, how vicious can you be? I’ve had employees and customers stare and say inappropriate comments all the time, but you just ignore it or laugh. It’s not that serious. You’re making it sound like OP was assaulted. OP’s description clearly shows that the RPh is merely attempting to flirt. Most all guys will stop if you tell them to, but instead, people in this thread are encouraging OP to report it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
So now if someone merely stares at you, they deserve to have their life ruined? Give me a break, how vicious can you be? I’ve had employees and customers stare and say inappropriate comments all the time, but you just ignore it or laugh. It’s not that serious. You’re making it sound like OP was assaulted. OP’s description clearly shows that the RPh is merely attempting to flirt. Most all guys will stop if you tell them to, but instead, people in this thread are encouraging OP to report it.

Go back and read what I wrote. I said he deserves to be punished if he continues to stare at her after she asks him to stop. Before she escalates the problem, she needs to ask him to stop, and it doesn’t sound like she’s done that. Maybe he’ll stop staring when she asks him to, and if he does, problem solved.

If this guy were my employee, I’d be pretty damn annoyed at him, partly because he’s being a creep and partly because he probably isn’t getting much work done if he’s constantly ogling the interns. I’m sure they’re hot, but dial it back, bro.

I agree with most of the people in here. If you're uncomfortable, let him know you're uncomfortable and politely ask for him to stop. If he doesn't, then you report it. I personally don't think it's sexual harassment to compliment somebody. I compliment people at work all the time and they compliment me sometimes. Depends on the person and how they take compliments. It's also store policy at most places to check white coats at the end of the shift, but if you're the only one going through the process and being singled out, then you may have a problem. You should let your preceptor know if that's the case.

It seems like there's a lot of angst and anxiety from guys who are self conscious on here.
A double standard? Does that guy not understand the meaning of the word "unwelcome" or "unwanted"?
Of course it's not unwelcome attention if there's mutual attraction. How silly.

None of us can know what actually went down.

There are loads of creepy people in pharmacy, and if they can't behave as professionals, they deserve to get checked on it.

There's never a good reason to tell an intern that they look good.
It's just dumb.

ITT: everyone got baited

OP is a new account with 1 post which is this one. claims to be sexually harassed at CVS and then never responds. can't believe everyone here missed this

ITT: everyone got baited

OP is a new account with 1 post which is this one. claims to be sexually harassed at CVS and then never responds. can't believe everyone here missed this
Regardless if we got baited, don't think there's a problem having a conversation about it. Probably a few interns out there too afraid to bring up the topic.

I don't know if the coordinators at school will really do anything if you report to them. If they are anything like mine, they probably are just clock-watching employees waiting for the day to be over. My friend was physically threatened by his preceptor but he sucked it up and only reported it after the rotation was over. Physically threatened as in, the preceptor placed my friend's hand on the table and slammed a hammer down just inches from it. But this preceptor was still nice and well and still accepting students years after that.

No where near sexual harassment. Possibly harassment, but even that's drawing pretty thin here - bunch of assumptions going on.

It seems like there's a lot of angst and anxiety from guys who are self conscious on here.
A double standard? Does that guy not understand the meaning of the word "unwelcome" or "unwanted"?
Of course it's not unwelcome attention if there's mutual attraction. How silly.

None of us can know what actually went down.

There are loads of creepy people in pharmacy, and if they can't behave as professionals, they deserve to get checked on it.

There's never a good reason to tell an intern that they look good.
It's just dumb.

See the article I posted a few posts back. Even wildly baseless sexual harassment accusations can result in over a year of angst and torture, if not false imprisonment or loss. There is no good reason to accuse people of rape/sexual harassment when it is not that. End of story. Sexual harassment is an extremely serious matter that can and will lead to people getting fired or permanently ruined. In the current environment where retailers are looking for ANY excuse to fire employees in favor of starry eyed new graduates for less pay, you can bet the farm that the retailers will use the excuse to get them fired.

You’re not fooling anyone my naive little friend. And just “one” wouldn’t ruin someone’s life eh? Not the way it works:

Commuter who walked past actress at Waterloo station cleared of 'bizarre' sex assault claim

Decided to quote the article again and provide a brief summary as a TLDR:

Man falsely accused of sexual assault over a 2 second time period where he walked past a woman (false accuser). Consider how physically/logistically impossible this would have been, and that it was in broad daylight with 1000 people around, yet he was taken to court. In addition, glaring video evidence showed that the man had his hands to himself (ex: he had a hand securely on his bag.), yet he still received over a year's worth of torture and angst despite being clearly in the clear. Consider this, what would have happened to him if he didn't happen to have his hand on his bag? Do you see how ridiculous this is?

The current "meta" is where false accusations of sexual harassment can almost (and he might have been convicted anyway) convict an innocent man yet there are zero repercussions to the people making the false accusations. It is completely unacceptable to jump the gun and call everything sexual harassment (especially when it clearly isn't) as it does have extremely serious consequences.

No, "just one accusation," is not okay. It can end your career.

Disclaimer: I’m a male, have never knowingly been sexually harassed, and am not a legal/ethics expert. With that said:

1. I assume it’s something like a one month rotation and you must be at least a couple weeks in by now.

2. The coat thing is a policy.

3. The other things you mentioned could potentially be (easily) explained as awkwardness.

So, the question for you to evaluate is whether it’s best for you to report him or to just ride out the next couple weeks until your rotation is complete. Of course, nobody but you is truly qualified to make the decision here.

Surely some of your classmates must have had a rotation here already, have they had similar experiences?

Sounds like a bunch of awkwardness and flirtatious behavior. I don’t see anyhing “sexual” about it. If you are uncomfortable speak to your rotation director, but sounds like you have no idea what sexual harassment is. If you keep throwing that word around you can damage someone’s reputation when facts don’t substantiate your accusations.

Can’t help but agree. Sounds hypersensitive to a guy looking at you... he made a comment about you being in shape and your lunch, good grief.

How old is this man? Curious.

I'm a P4 and doing an internship at the 3-letter retail pharmacy. I've been having to deal with a creepy pharmacist and I don't know how to handle this.

He isn't my preceptor. He's the "other" pharmacist. From day 1, he kept looking at me and staring just a little too long. He kept commenting on how I "look good today." Even things like the food I brought got comments from him saying "so that's how you keep your figure slim."

I've really just tried to ignore him but he makes me so uncomfortable. When I bent down to get a stock bottle on the bottom of the fast rack I caught him looking at me, then he quickly looked away.

The thing that creeps me out the most is that he always asks me to take off my white coat before I go home. Then he proceeds to pat down my white coat. He says its company policy, but no other pharmacist makes me do this. I get the feeling he is just doing it to look at me with less clothing. It just makes me feel violated.

My school made it clear that we always have to wear our white coats on rotation, as this is apparently the law in our state. It also just seems unreasonable to ask someone to take off their clothes in a workplace.

So my question is what I should do. I have to deal with this creep for a for another few weeks.

Is this actually company policy?

You are over reacting. He isn't doing anything even remotely illegal. Last time I checked looking at someone is not unprofessional. Checking your labcoat is probably because he suspects you of stealing. Your school is going to be mad if you cause problems as they worked hard to secure that rotation spot. Also if you try to stir up stuff you could risk failing the rotation due to the pharmacist using his position of power to fail you. Just accept that some males are creepy and deal with it. The rotation is only 6 weeks.

Report this to cvs ethics line if he is making you uncomfortable. They will investigate.
this is a terrible idea. They will contact the DM who will contact the pharmacist who will then be angry and retaliate by

1. trying to fail or mark down the student
2. refusing to work with the school again, causing the school to lose a valuable rotation spot, causing the school to retaliate against the student

What OP described is not illegal or sexual harassment. Just creepy.

Last edited:
You are over reacting. He isn't doing anything even remotely illegal. Last time I checked looking at someone is not unprofessional. Checking your labcoat is probably because he suspects you of stealing. Your school is going to be mad if you cause problems as they worked hard to secure that rotation spot. Also if you try to stir up stuff you could risk failing the rotation due to the pharmacist using his position of power to fail you. Just accept that some males are creepy and deal with it. The rotation is only 6 weeks.

Assuming that this is a real post from “biblegirl” lol. I can’t wait to see how she reacts to verbal abuse and dealing with actual harassment from customers. Lost count how many times I’ve been cussed out in retail and demeaned lol...

If I was a district manager who learns about these accusations and facts at hand, I don’t think I’d want OP as my employee. You can disagree with me, but it’s just something wrong with our society where things like this are perceived as sexual harassment and someone can get fired for doing what he did.

I’d like to hear more opinions from women of this board

Assuming that this is a real post from “biblegirl” lol. I can’t wait to see how she reacts to verbal abuse and dealing with actual harassment from customers. Lost count how many times I’ve been cussed out in retail and demeaned lol...

If I was a district manager who learns about these accusations and facts at hand, I don’t think I’d want OP as my employee. You can disagree with me, but it’s just something wrong with our society where things like this are perceived as sexual harassment and someone can get fired for doing what he did.

I’d like to hear more opinions from women of this board
I feel like OP is trying to ride the coat tells of the #metoo movement. Creepy != sexual assault.

Had an RN smack my ass the other day in the hospital. Didn’t even know who she was till I saw the name tag... I don’t know her besides speaking on the phone when she needs something tubed up here and there. That is actual harassment.

People are wayyy too hypersensitive these days.

See the article I posted a few posts back. Even wildly baseless sexual harassment accusations can result in over a year of angst and torture, if not false imprisonment or loss. There is no good reason to accuse people of rape/sexual harassment when it is not that. End of story. Sexual harassment is an extremely serious matter that can and will lead to people getting fired or permanently ruined. In the current environment where retailers are looking for ANY excuse to fire employees in favor of starry eyed new graduates for less pay, you can bet the farm that the retailers will use the excuse to get them fired.

I think you're intentionally conflating a claim of sexual assault between two citizens in Public with a concern of harassment in the workplace.

If not, please take the time to research the two topics

The threshold and standards are wildly different.

I think you're intentionally conflating a claim of sexual assault between two citizens in Public with a concern of harassment in the workplace.

If not, please take the time to research the two topics

The threshold and standards are wildly different.

You're missing the point: sexual harassment is a serious topic that must be critically assessed from both sides of the spectrum. Recognizing abuse through incorrect use or false accusations is just as important as properly investigating possible, legitimate sexual harassment. If a clearly innocent man can be hauled to court and subject to abuse for a year despite having video evidence to substantial his innocence, what makes you think CVS/Walgreens/Walmart, etc. are not going to fire this pharmacist or ruin his reputation? And for what? Based on extremely dubious and questionable interpretation from the OP that does not even fit the definition of sexual harassment.

Had an RN smack my ass the other day in the hospital. Didn’t even know who she was till I saw the name tag... I don’t know her besides speaking on the phone when she needs something tubed up here and there. That is actual harassment.

People are wayyy too hypersensitive these days.

Seriously.... I have too checked out a female worker. I’ve never asked them to sleep with me.

I have also commented on someone’s diet or maybe even called them skinny... I never made comments about their genitals or anatomy though....

I don’t consider myself guilty if anyhing. If anyone does, they should go screw themselves. Yeah “screw” could be sexual harassment, but I don’t care.

You're missing the point: sexual harassment is a serious topic that must be critically assessed from both sides of the spectrum. Recognizing abuse through incorrect use or false accusations is just as important as properly investigating possible, legitimate sexual harassment. If a clearly innocent man can be hauled to court and subject to abuse for a year despite having video evidence to substantial his innocence, what makes you think CVS/Walgreens/Walmart, etc. are not going to fire this pharmacist or ruin his reputation? And for what? Based on extremely dubious and questionable interpretation from the OP that does not even fit the definition of sexual harassment.
I'm not missing the point.
I'm pointing out that criminal activity is not equivalent to company policy being enforced for someone voluntarily working.

Are you saying a socially awkward, creepy person is entitled to a job in this job market?

If they're unprofessional, they're unprofessional and don't deserve to keep a professional position.

I'm not missing the point.
I'm pointing out that criminal activity is not equivalent to company policy being enforced for someone voluntarily working.

Are you saying a socially awkward, creepy person is entitled to a job in this job market?

If they're unprofessional, they're unprofessional and don't deserve to keep a professional position.

#1. What criminal activity? Walking past someone with your hand on your bag is now a criminal activity?
#2. CVS company policy proven correct in justifying the pharmacist patting down her lab coat AFTER she took it off? You realize you're agreeing with me if you are citing enforcing company policy?
#3 So because someone "stared a little too long," and said, "so that's how you stay so thin," they deserve to be labeled "socially awkward," and "creepy," by yours truly? Really? Sorry this is not unprofessional behavior, not by a long stretch.

It's shocking that you would think that based on a huge stretch, and without hearing the other side, that you have judged it 100% true that this individual does not "deserve to keep a professional position."

Seriously.... I have too checked out a female worker. I’ve never asked them to sleep with me.

I have also commented on someone’s diet or maybe even called them skinny... I never made comments about their genitals or anatomy though....

I don’t consider myself guilty if anyhing. If anyone does, they should go screw themselves. Yeah “screw” could be sexual harassment, but I don’t care.

This is what I don’t get....why say those things at work? If you think she is attractive, then go ahead and ask her if she wants to have some coffee after work? Then you can compliment her all you want.

If she doesn’t feel the same way, then move on and put an end to it. It is better for her and it is also better for you.

This is what I don’t get....why say those things at work? If you think she is attractive, then go ahead and ask her if she wants to have some coffee after work? Then you can compliment her all you want.

If she doesn’t feel the same way, then move on and put an end to it. It is better for her and it is also better for you.

I Did not think commenting on someone’s diet or calling someone skinny can have any bad consequences. Considered it more small talk than sexual harassment. Wasn’t even single or had any interest in that person at that time...

#1. What criminal activity? Walking past someone with your hand on your bag is now a criminal activity?
#2. CVS company policy proven correct in justifying the pharmacist patting down her lab coat AFTER she took it off? You realize you're agreeing with me if you are citing enforcing company policy?
#3 So because someone "stared a little too long," and said, "so that's how you stay so thin," they deserve to be labeled "socially awkward," and "creepy," by yours truly? Really? Sorry this is not unprofessional behavior, not by a long stretch.

It's shocking that you would think that based on a huge stretch, and without hearing the other side, that you have judged it 100% true that this individual does not "deserve to keep a professional position."
You are attempting to portray my general statements as being specific to both your example and the OP's specific situation. That's incorrect.

I am talking about the concepts, not the specific example you are trying to present as a valid, generalizable example.

I've already posted that nobody knows what happened to OP.

Are you sure you're not trying to put words in my mouth because you're making an argument based on your emotions?

Go back and count the number of posts that agree that the OP's situation is creepy.

I Did not think commenting on someone’s diet or calling someone skinny can have any bad consequences. Considered it more small talk than sexual harassment. Wasn’t even single or had any interest in that person at that time...

Walmart, in particular, will write you up if you comment on someone's physical characteristics and they get offended.

We cracked up in the training room because the example in the CBL was calling a tall person "stretch"

I'm guessing this guy didn't win the Brad Pitt look alike contest. But the stuff she listed him doing can also be explained by a hyper sensitive student. If it bothers the op then she should say something. If not directly to the rph than maybe to a female tech who can pass the message along. Calling the complaint line will bring a **** storm down on him-guilty or not.

You are attempting to portray my general statements as being specific to both your example and the OP's specific situation. That's incorrect.

I am talking about the concepts, not the specific example you are trying to present as a valid, generalizable example.

I've already posted that nobody knows what happened to OP.

Are you sure you're not trying to put words in my mouth because you're making an argument based on your emotions?

Go back and count the number of posts that agree that the OP's situation is creepy.

Walmart, in particular, will write you up if you comment on someone's physical characteristics and they get offended.

We cracked up in the training room because the example in the CBL was calling a tall person "stretch"

It seems like we are debating different things. Like there is some kind of miscommunication going on. We can agree to disagree. For what it's worth, about half of the posters here side with the OP, and about half disagree. It's split down the middle.

I agree. False, malicious sexual harassment complaints are just as bad, if not worse, then valid complaints. I am a realist and some complainers work the system usually the weakest employees.

I cannot believe the number of people in this thread that do not think this is sexual harassment. Have none of y’all ever had to do sexual harassment training? Now the ‘staring’ might be too subjective to be sexual harassment (he does have to supervise her after all) and the coat thing is correct policy so that is fine. But making multiple unwanted remarks on physical appearance? That totally fits every sexual harassment definition I have ever heard.

Just curious: for the people who think that isn’t sexual harassment, what would be?

I cannot believe the number of people in this thread that do not think this is sexual harassment. Have none of y’all ever had to do sexual harassment training? Now the ‘staring’ might be too subjective to be sexual harassment (he does have to supervise her after all) and the coat thing is correct policy so that is fine. But making multiple unwanted remarks on physical appearance? That totally fits every sexual harassment definition I have ever heard.

Just curious: for the people who think that isn’t sexual harassment, what would be?
I would consider it sexual harrassment. There is no need to comment on her appearance in a professional setting unless she was dressing inappropriately for her rotation.

That's why I think it's people who relate to the guy in OP's example that are arguing that it isn't.

They feel vulnerable and are reacting

Reactions: 5 users
That's why I think it's people who relate to the guy in OP's example that are arguing that it isn't.

They feel vulnerable and are reacting

I am inclined to agree. I think there is also an element of “I have seen/endured much worse then this therefor it doesn’t count” thrown in for good measure.

I am enjoying all the comments about how he must not be attractive. As if his apparnece is the issue here, LMAO

Reactions: 7 users