Sexual Harassment

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Have you experienced sexual harassment as a medical student?

• As a female, I have been harassed by patients

Votes: 12 19.7%
  • As a female, I have been harassed by coworkers/residents/attendings

Votes: 9 14.8%
  • As a female, I have not experienced any kind of sexual harassment

Votes: 6 9.8%
  • As a male, I have been harassed by patients

Votes: 8 13.1%
  • As a male, I have been harassed by coworkers/residents/attendings

Votes: 5 8.2%
  • As a male, I have not experienced any kind of sexual harassment

Votes: 33 54.1%

• Total voters

Abilene85

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
There is a poll in Women in Healthcare about sexual harassment. Results were kind of disturbing to me. I was wondering if this is unique to women or if men have experienced the same thing. I imagine that men have encountered sexual harassment from patients, but probably not so much from coworkers/residents/doctors. The poll is anonymous, so don't worry about feeling like a "sissy" if you report harassment as a male. ;)

Members don't see this ad.

Put me down for: As a male, I have sexually harassed patients, nurses, residents and attendings

No more input from the ladies?

Members don't see this ad :)
i know and have been a witness to male classmates getting hit on my older female patients. icckkk! i feel so bad for them when i see it happen. they just smile shyly and act sort of embarrassed. it pisses me off.

i know and have been a witness to male classmates getting hit on my older female patients. icckkk! i feel so bad for them when i see it happen. they just smile shyly and act sort of embarrassed. it pisses me off.

I love it when the old ladies hit on me. You gotta take it in stride, thank them and go on with your interview.

Often males and females have a different view of what constitutes harassment. Some of the more immature guys would pants each other in the anatomy locker room or twist one another's nipples. By definition this is sexual harassment. Likewise, when nurses or patients make charged comments about how nice I look I don't view it as harassment, even when it is somewhat uncomfortable, but it very well could be reported that way.