SF match ophthalmology fellowship scramble

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Resident416

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have details about the fellowship scramble? I understand that SF match will post immediate vacancies and then you contact the programs directly. Does anyone know, do you find out results that day? Or do they review applications and get back to you? How many programs should you apply to at a time? Any advice is really welcome!

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone have details about the fellowship scramble? I understand that SF match will post immediate vacancies and then you contact the programs directly. Does anyone know, do you find out results that day? Or do they review applications and get back to you? How many programs should you apply to at a time? Any advice is really welcome!

Sent by program coordinator yesterday. Forwarded from sfmatch...

“Scramble” refers to another company’s process. SF Match posts the unmatched positions on the Immediate Vacancies tabs for each respective specialty on our website. Interested parties may navigate to the specialty page and view them without registering. Programs are free to fill the positions as they see fit. SF Match distributes applications we have on file for a $10 fee per program upon request. The form is available on the page where the vacancies will be listed.

Thank you for emailing [email protected],

Send all application materials to:

SF Match
655 Beach Street
San Francisco, CA 94109

There are some pretty good unmatched sports this year! Graduating residents who weren't planning on some a fellowship might want to take a second look and reconsider cause this could be your chance to get into a good fellowship without going through the whole process.

Members don't see this ad :)
There are some pretty good unmatched sports this year! Graduating residents who weren't planning on some a fellowship might want to take a second look and reconsider cause this could be your chance to get into a good fellowship without going through the whole process.

I'm curious what people base that on. I noticed a few good ones as well. Any thoughts ?

Oh, nice. Thanks. But peds ophtho though- is retinoscopy that bad? :laugh:
Peds ophtho is a lot more than just retinscopyretinoscopy. Really one of the only truly comprehensive fields in ophthalmology to be honest. It also requires thought. No patient encounter is the same. Beats the hell out of being a cataract jockey - at least to me. most people say the pay isn't as high - which I guess it isn't. Regardless most of my starting offers were higher than people directly out of cornea or glaucoma fellowships. Plus you can get a job pretty much anywhere. You should give it a try - looks like some really good spots in Peds went unmatched this year (especially in places that usually do match)

Reactions: 3 users
So I'm assuming 1 year surgical retina spots are bad?

Most are being phased out. They're not necessarily bad but you'd have to be super busy surgically in order to get good training for a year. There's a program in Vancouver that is one year and it's top notch, but they recommend graduates to do a year of medical retina afterwards because of how surgically intense the program is.

Is medical retina really not that competitive with spots unfilled at Top institutions like Bascom Palmer, duke,
Michigan, usc to name a few?

Most are being phased out. They're not necessarily bad but you'd have to be super busy surgically in order to get good training for a year. There's a program in Vancouver that is one year and it's top notch, but they recommend graduates to do a year of medical retina afterwards because of how surgically intense the program is.

Are you able to attend the program in Vancouver without the extra year? Or can you do fellowship in Canada with a 4 year Ophtho residency? I'm really curious.