SFmatch CAS Application Help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

VooDooo327

GO LAKERS!
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering what sections presentations (tumor board etc.) would go in the CAS application. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I was wondering what sections presentations (tumor board etc.) would go in the CAS application. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks.

I would still put it where all your other presentations went. That's where I put mine, but hopefully someone else can chime in?

Sorry to ask another question, but when is the target date for submission to be considered optimal/early? August (beginning/mid/end??) or even some time in July?

I would still put it where all your other presentations went. That's where I put mine, but hopefully someone else can chime in?

Sorry to ask another question, but when is the target date for submission to be considered optimal/early? August (beginning/mid/end??) or even some time in July?

I was told end of August. I don't think very many programs even look at apps until sept anyway. Might be wrong though

Members don't see this ad :)

Mail in everything by early/mid August so that it can get 'processed' in time to meet the earliest programs' Sept 1st deadline since they claim that can take up to a few weeks. You don't have to submit the online portion that early though.

Can our med schools upload our LOR to the SF website? So basically, all we need to turn in to them are USMLE scores and college transcripts, correct? Also, I am taking my USMLE step 2 July 27th. So I will probably get my scores later in August. How do you get SF to update your profile?

Thanks

For what its worth, this was my thought process.

One school has a deadline August 30th. Five schools have a deadline Sep 1st. One on Sep 3rd and one on Sep 4th. The rest have deadlines after Sep 12th. It probably won't take SFMatch the 3 weeks to process the application like they say it might, but to play it safe try to have it in on August 9th. If you're okay with having about 8 schools out of consideration, then have it in on August 20th. If you're feeling lucky (or if you haven't had the time to get enough letters like I probably will), then send it in after that.

It might be worth while to contact the 8 schools that have the early deadlines to see if those are set in stone. Idk...

That is pretty good advice. However, if our schools can upload the LORs, then we do not have to worry about that 3 week processing time for those. I am in the same boat, and need to get another LOR, and it wont be rdy till probably middle/end of August.

Can our med schools upload our LOR to the SF website? So basically, all we need to turn in to them are USMLE scores and college transcripts, correct? Also, I am taking my USMLE step 2 July 27th. So I will probably get my scores later in August. How do you get SF to update your profile?

Thanks

I think SFmatch will always let you update your Step scores on its website and once you hit submit it automatically updates the schools.

Sidenote: NBME just announced that all late July and August testing will be delayed until late September. So you probably won't get your scores until then. If that's a problem then perhaps you should bump up your test a week earlier.

That is pretty good advice. However, if our schools can upload the LORs, then we do not have to worry about that 3 week processing time for those. I am in the same boat, and need to get another LOR, and it wont be rdy till probably middle/end of August.

I don't think that's an option. On the SFmatch pdf rules it says you must mail your recs with the big envelope. Your school can send in your recs to ERAS, though.

I think SFmatch will always let you update your Step scores on its website and once you hit submit it automatically updates the schools.

Sidenote: NBME just announced that all late July and August testing will be delayed until late September. So you probably won't get your scores until then. If that's a problem then perhaps you should bump up your test a week earlier.

I don't think that's an option. On the SFmatch pdf rules it says you must mail your recs with the big envelope. Your school can send in your recs to ERAS, though.

"If you are a US Senior, your Dean's office can upload your letters of reference. If you are a US Grad and your Dean's office does not have your letters, you must mail them to SF Match in sealed and signed envelopes (have the letter writer sign across the seal and do not open the envelope). Simply include the letter(s) with the rest of your CAS materials. The same steps for US Grads apply to International Medical Graduates."

I pulled this off of the SF website FAQs. Seems like if our school has our letters they can upload them for us.

Last edited:

Yeah I saw that. But it also states that if you need the scores before Sept 25th, take the exam no later than July 27th, which is the date of my exam. So it seems like I made the cut off by the skin of my teeth. I am not too worried about it. As long as my application can be completed, and then my scores can be updated later.

Under "Past and Present Employment," are you guys listing your research labs you worked in? I was paid by one of my labs but my research for the ophtho department was technically volunteer work. They have a separate Research Activities tab, so are you just listing it as research only or are you also listing the departments as employers?

"If you are a US Senior, your Dean’s office can upload your letters of reference. If you are a US Grad and your Dean’s office does not have your letters, you must mail them to SF Match in sealed and signed envelopes (have the letter writer sign across the seal and do not open the envelope). Simply include the letter(s) with the rest of your CAS materials. The same steps for US Grads apply to International Medical Graduates."

I pulled this off of the SF website FAQs. Seems like if our school has our letters they can upload them for us.

Yeah I was under the impression our schools could upload the LORs directly, in which case all WE need to send by mail are the college/med school transcripts and USMLE score reports. What I want to know is if the LORs take 3 weeks to process as well (they're not being sent by mail so I don't think they should take that long), because those probably wont be ready till mid-aug or so for me

Yeah I was under the impression our schools could upload the LORs directly, in which case all WE need to send by mail are the college/med school transcripts and USMLE score reports. What I want to know is if the LORs take 3 weeks to process as well (they're not being sent by mail so I don't think they should take that long), because those probably wont be ready till mid-aug or so for me

Yes very good question. I am in a very similar situation. It would be nice if as soon as the letters were upload, then it was done, and there is no processing time. We need to find this out.

Members don't see this ad :)
"If you are a US Senior, your Dean’s office can upload your letters of reference. If you are a US Grad and your Dean’s office does not have your letters, you must mail them to SF Match in sealed and signed envelopes (have the letter writer sign across the seal and do not open the envelope). Simply include the letter(s) with the rest of your CAS materials. The same steps for US Grads apply to International Medical Graduates."

On the CAS instructions PDF it still says to mail them in and doesn't mentions Dean's Office uploads. So consider that even if there is some new way for your Dean's Office to upload to CAS for you they probably won't know how to do it and the delay for them to figure it out may be longer than just sending the letter in. Safest bet here is to get all of your letters by early/mid August and mail them in.

On the CAS instructions PDF it still says to mail them in and doesn't mentions Dean's Office uploads. So consider that even if there is some new way for your Dean's Office to upload to CAS for you they probably won't know how to do it and the delay for them to figure it out may be longer than just sending the letter in. Safest bet here is to get all of your letters by early/mid August and mail them in.

This is what I was thinking and leaning toward.

And damn, ophthohope made the SDN status switch to "Resident." :naughty:

Are you guys reporting your 2-digit Step 1 score?

I just realized it actually gives us the option to include it. NBME stopped reporting these scores as of April 2013 but I think it only applies to the new tests. It seems last year they changed the 2-digit scoring system so that not everything greater than ~230 is a 99. I'm in the upper 80s myself with a Step in the 240s. I'm doubtful programs will know and will just assume my score is low based on the 2-digit score. Any insight on including it or not?

I just realized it actually gives us the option to include it. NBME stopped reporting these scores as of April 2013 but I think it only applies to the new tests. It seems last year they changed the 2-digit scoring system so that not everything greater than ~230 is a 99. I'm in the upper 80s myself with a Step in the 240s. I'm doubtful programs will know and will just assume my score is low based on the 2-digit score. Any insight on including it or not?

I'm sure it won't be a big deal at all. There will be a lot of other applicants with step 1 scores of >240, and their 2-digit scores will also be in mid- to high-80s, so yours definitely won't look like a bad score. PDs know what a 240 means regardless of the 2-digit score.

What I e-mailed SF Match: "For the ophthalmology match, can we upload letters online through our school? Or do we have to send the letters in with the packet?"

How they responded: "You must send the sealed letters with your other required materials. Make sure the envelopes are signed over the flap and sealed."

They prefer you to submit the original score report along with the performance profile, and the original report includes your 2-digit score.

For what its worth, this was my thought process.

One school has a deadline August 30th. Five schools have a deadline Sep 1st. One on Sep 3rd and one on Sep 4th. The rest have deadlines after Sep 12th. It probably won't take SFMatch the 3 weeks to process the application like they say it might, but to play it safe try to have it in on August 9th. If you're okay with having about 8 schools out of consideration, then have it in on August 20th. If you're feeling lucky (or if you haven't had the time to get enough letters like I probably will), then send it in after that.

It might be worth while to contact the 8 schools that have the early deadlines to see if those are set in stone. Idk...

wow BPEI, columbia... those are some legit programs with early deadlines. I hope they're really not set in stone like that, as many students can't get ophtho letters until sub-I's which may not start until late June/early July at many schools.

This is what I was thinking and leaning toward.

And damn, ophthohope made the SDN status switch to "Resident." :naughty:

Which is mostly terrifying for me, and especially terrifying for these patients I'm seeing as a prelim internal med intern. Survivin' until PGY-2.

wow BPEI, columbia... those are some legit programs with early deadlines. I hope they're really not set in stone like that, as many students can't get ophtho letters until sub-I's which may not start until late June/early July at many schools.

I only know from one of the places with an earlier deadline, but I was told that they still looked at applications past their deadline. However, in that same sentence I was told that the earlier you get your application in, the better in their eyes. I think they know about the sub-I and away rotation issue that many people have and take that into consideration when making a deadline either definite or more 'soft.'

What I e-mailed SF Match: "For the ophthalmology match, can we upload letters online through our school? Or do we have to send the letters in with the packet?"

How they responded: "You must send the sealed letters with your other required materials. Make sure the envelopes are signed over the flap and sealed."

I confirmed with my school that they are able to upload the letters directly to the website (for graduating seniors), so I know it's possible. The only question now is if they still require up to 3 weeks of processing time.

Is there any date by which all programs are supposed to update their website for 2013/2014 applicants? At the moment, most of the programs still show 2012 deadlines and interview dates.

I confirmed with my school that they are able to upload the letters directly to the website (for graduating seniors), so I know it's possible. The only question now is if they still require up to 3 weeks of processing time.

I would recheck with your school bc this is what my school found out

"I did finally have a chance to talk with the SF Match folks. Apparently, their goal to have electronic submission of LOR’s didn’t quite come to fruition this year (although in some places as we have both seen, it’s posted that this would be an option). So, they confirmed that everything would be mailed in a packet as it has been done in years past."

I would recheck with your school bc this is what my school found out

"I did finally have a chance to talk with the SF Match folks. Apparently, their goal to have electronic submission of LOR’s didn’t quite come to fruition this year (although in some places as we have both seen, it’s posted that this would be an option). So, they confirmed that everything would be mailed in a packet as it has been done in years past."

ugh well that's inconvenient. Is your school sending in the letters or do you have to do that on your own? I feel awkward asking my letter writers to provide ME with the hard copy

ugh well that's inconvenient. Is your school sending in the letters or do you have to do that on your own? I feel awkward asking my letter writers to provide ME with the hard copy

Don't feel awkward; it's what you're supposed to do. Ask for two copies of the letter in signed, sealed envelopes - one for SF match and one for ERAS.

On an unrelated note, does anyone know if there is a way to make the font size smaller on the application?

^ To the question above re: font size, I don't think it's allowed.

My questions:
1) When they want employers/public service etc, how far back should we go? Should be it Med school ONLY? Or would we count things in college?
follow-up: How much can we write about each thing? Bullet points/paragraph??? What are they expecting?

2) Chronological order ---> Does that mean list the most recent first?

Thanks!

My questions:
1) When they want employers/public service etc, how far back should we go? Should be it Med school ONLY? Or would we count things in college?
follow-up: How much can we write about each thing? Bullet points/paragraph??? What are they expecting?

Thanks!

1. Include only work history and public service activities that enhance your application. College activities are OK, but use common sense and avoid listing random activities unless it helps you stand out. You also have limited space so bullet points/CV style is a good way to go. A short description helps the reader understand the activity or event. Remember your audience: PDs review 10x the number of applications they accept for interviews, so be concise but descriptive.

2. Chronological order is helpful. I would start with most recent and go backwards in time.

My questions:

Thanks!

Yeah as far as work experience goes, I wasn't sure if they were just looking for info about jobs you held in between college/med school (so that they know they have the complete story about you) or if they're looking for ALL work experience (e.g. being a TA in college)

As far as chrono order goes, I think they clarify on the app itself. I think it specifies most recent first

Question regarding grades for ophtho rotations: do PDs expect to see them on the transcript? My first ophtho rotation isn't until August meaning grades won't be released until the end of September, and our application will have already been submitted by that time. I wasn't able to do an ophtho elective rotation during 3rd year, so I won't have any ophtho grades at all on my transcript. Does this matter at all?

another question, i can't remember if it was addressed here before, for the research activities/pubs/posters section, what happens if you have too much? do you pick and choose? do you omit non-ophtho research?

also, do you bold your name in the author list when referencing?

On the P&P Employment section would it be appropriate to list part-time jobs you held in college, or is it primarily meant for full-time employment?

Good question. I was planning to underline or bold my name on the list also.

Another question: what citation style are people using in the research section? Thanks for any thoughts!

Last edited:
Should clinical honors be listed until honors/awards? An upperclassmen told me to list them, but I thought that seems redundant since the transcript and dean's letter will have them too.

I was reading the Iowa 2013-2014 match guide and it says

"Additionally, USMLE Board scores are released to the SF Match program electronically when you give them permission on their website. They give you the option of automatically updating your application whenever a new score becomes available, but it is in your best interest to decline"

Is this an option that you would find on your SFMatch account or on the NBME Step 2 account? I want this to be turned off, for sure. Any ideas on how to do this? Thanks.

kind of a dumb question, but on the LOR page when it asks for address and phone number under each writer... are they asking for the address/phone for that writer or for the institution. If the former, how many of you actually have that info?

kind of a dumb question, but on the LOR page when it asks for address and phone number under each writer... are they asking for the address/phone for that writer or for the institution. If the former, how many of you actually have that info?

I put the info for my letter writers. I used the info in their email signature. If not, you can always ask them for it.

1) Can we mail our package in BEFORE we finish our online application? My PS is taking more time than I expected!

2) Were there any specifications as to what our photo should be?? dimensions?

Last edited:
Future friends and colleagues,
I am currently an intern and just completed the match last year. Over the last several days I have been helping MS4's at my medical school finish up their applications and noticed that they didn't realize the importance of taking a look at the PDF of your application. Just to be sure noone else makes this mistake, I wanted to hop on here and tell you what I told them.

As you are filling out the application, be sure to preview the PDF to double-check the formatting. Last year, when I was in your shoes, I noticed that the CAS online application made the formatting all messed up when it generated the pdf. I'm not sure why this happens, and nor is SF Match (I called), but it is up to you to be sure that the formatting looks good on the actual PDF that is generated. In reviewing/giving feedback on my MS4 friends applications, there were several words that were cut off on the PDF that they sent me. They were under the impression that the programs take a look at your application online and that the pdf doesn't really matter. This is not true. The PDF is exactly what the programs will download and print out.

How can you fix the weird formatting?
I found the best way to fix the strange formatting that is created by the online application when generated in the pdf is to type in MS Word, then copy the text into text editor (MAC)/notepad (PC), and then copy the text again from there into the online application. When you copy it into the text editor, it removes the formatting from Word, so you have to re-create paragraphs when you copy it into the application, but this seems to keep the formatting from getting messed up.

Do programs look at the online application or the PDF?
Just to be sure that I wasn't leading you all astray, I actually called SF Match yesterday (brought back nightmares from last year), and asked them if the programs download the PDF or if they look at the application online. They said the programs download the PDF, and they also acknowledged that the online application sometimes causes strange formatting in the PDF.

Bottom line: Be sure to preview the PDF as you make changes, and especially before you submit your application.

If I did ophtho research as employment, should i list the Employment under the Past and Present Employment...and then have the description under Research?? Or does that count as doubling up?

Thanks, eyesteve. I noticed that issue as well.

Razkui - I would add it any one place. Don't reiterate it. It will be too annoying for the PDs who are hard pressed for time when reviewing the applications.

Don't feel awkward; it's what you're supposed to do. Ask for two copies of the letter in signed, sealed envelopes - one for SF match and one for ERAS.

What happens if I received an LOR in a closed envelope but not signed? Can I mark that I waived access to the letter, since I could not read it? Or I would have to mark ''I desire access to letter'' -which is actually not true-? I don't want to have issues getting my application delayed by SF match..

Is anyone else having problems indenting paragraphs on SF Match? I've tried using tab and multiple spaces on all different browsers and find that my indentation, while displaying on the webpage correctly, is removed in the PDF. This is particularly irritating on the personal statement page, as I can't use blank lines to separate paragraphs because my PS won't fit.

Is anyone else having problems indenting paragraphs on SF Match? I've tried using tab and multiple spaces on all different browsers and find that my indentation, while displaying on the webpage correctly, is removed in the PDF. This is particularly irritating on the personal statement page, as I can't use blank lines to separate paragraphs because my PS won't fit.

Jejudo - My recommendation is that you trim down your personal statement to allow a full line between paragraphs. I realize your post stated your "PS won't fit," but I am almost certain that there is a line somewhere that is redundant or excessively "wordy" and can be removed. Ask friends, family, professors, or even those that have previously matched for feedback on your PS and even request that they help you trim it down. To answer your question directly, formatting is difficult on the CAS application as mentioned in prior posts. I ultimately felt like the complete line in between paragraphs was the most clean and professional approach to achieving the objectives of "indenting," though I must admit I felt I was offending my elementary school teachers at my lack of indenting each new paragraph.

Furthermore, I just looked at the PDFs from classmates that have previously matched, and everyone independently used the line in between paragraphs approach, thus suggesting this to be somewhat of the standard. Remember that PDs and admissions committees will be reviewing hundreds of applications, and the more clean, neat, and not-cluttered or overly-wordy your application, the more likely they are to read it. I'm sure there are those that didn't put a line in between paragraphs and still were very successful in the match, so at the end of the day, this isn't really that big of a deal.

Bottom line: edit your PS, eliminate redundancy, and find a way to fit it in the allotted space. If possible, include a complete line in between paragraphs to overcome the inability to indent.

What happens if I received an LOR in a closed envelope but not signed? Can I mark that I waived access to the letter, since I could not read it? Or I would have to mark ''I desire access to letter'' -which is actually not true-? I don't want to have issues getting my application delayed by SF match..

A few thoughts on the sealed-but-not-signed dilemma:
1 - Simply take your sealed envelope containing the LOR back to the person who wrote the letter and ask them to sign the back of it. Are they not available or impossible to catch up with? Perhaps their secretary/assistant has a signature stamp that they can place over the seal.
2 - Take a deep breath and don't worry too much about your sealed envelopes not being signed on the back. If I remember correctly, I had at least one envelope that wasn't signed and it didn't affect the processing of my application whatsoever. I think that anyone familiar with the SF Match would readily admit to the multiple inefficiencies and weaknesses of the whole process, high on the list being the fact that we must use snail-mail to send the application, and thus we as applicants have access to the envelopes containing our letters of recommendation. Sounds like SF Match is working out a system where letter writers/Deans offices can upload letters letter (similar to ERAS), but at the present time the details/kinks haven't been worked out. Until then, there will be potential for LOR-tampering if you will, and you must trust that you and all other applicants and programs will be honest and abide by the same code of ethics and integrity.
3 - Clearly, however, you are trying to be honest and are wondering how to answer the question on the application. As long as you didn't open the sealed envelope and re-seal it in a new envelope, then you can go ahead and state that you waived access to the letter.
4 - If you are still nervous about having a LOR envelope that isn't signed over the seal, refer to tip number 1, return to your letter-writer and request their signature.

Also, you can ask your schools administration to put an official school stamp over the envelope, thus sealing it with the equivalent of a signature.

Thank you for your reply, eyesteve. The issue is that the letter writer is in a different state, and it would get pretty complicated to send it back just to get it signed, especially when I'm planning to send the documents to SFmacth as soon as possible.. it makes me wonder whether it is more important to wait, get it signed and check the option of waiving access to the letter, or just submit my application tomorrow regardless of the confidentiality options..
I'm trying to do the right thing here, will probably call SFM tomorrow to get their input and see if it really needs to be signed..I don't want them to delay my application