SFSU Pre Health Post Bacc Program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HopefulMD7500

HopefulMD7500
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was hoping if someone could give me some insight on this problem because I am sort of worried. The SFSU pre-health professions program says that they have a 79% matriculation rate into health professions schools. However, I am wondering how many actually matriculate into medical school alone. I am second guessing spending $50,000 in tution and living expenses for a program that just offers just a certificate and no clarity as to how many students are accepted into medical school. If there is someone out there who went through the formal post bacc program and was accepted into medical school (not dental, podiatry, etc.), I would like your input.

-HMD7500-

Members don't see this ad.

I was hoping if someone could give me some insight on this problem because I am sort of worried. The SFSU pre-health professions program says that they have a 79% matriculation rate into health professions schools. However, I am wondering how many actually matriculate into medical school alone. I am second guessing spending $50,000 in tution and living expenses for a program that just offers just a certificate and no clarity as to how many students are accepted into medical school. If there is someone out there who went through the formal post bacc program and was accepted into medical school (not dental, podiatry, etc.), I would like your input.

-HMD7500-

You can always call or email them about the statistic. I'm sure they will give you an answer.

Members don't see this ad :)
Are you currently accepted into the summer program?

Wow, is $50,000 standard for a Post-bacc?

-HMD7500-

If a post-bach doesn't have a direct linkage with its medical school it is basically a scam fake-smp. DO NOT DO IT

They include optometry/DO/Caribbean/pods as "medical" school.

While your second line is true, do you know what a post-bac is? Are you serious? There are plenty of AAMC recognized official post-bac pre-health programs that do not have direct linkages but are looked upon favorably.
http://services.aamc.org/postbac/

SMPs tend to be looked down upon because of grade inflation at non-linkage programs (exceptions include Georgetown, Tulane, etc.).

The thing is, no program is going to get you into medical school. YOU are going to get you into medical school. If a program can provide relevant clinical and research experiences then that will definitely help you. But if you already have that stuff taken care of and all they're going to do is provide you with a committee letter and post-bac courses at double the cost of regular tuition, then it might not be worth it.

Loyola has a SMP program is ridiculously expensive, tuition for 1 year is close to 40,000. Though they do boast an alleged >90% medical school acceptance rate, but I've heard some bad (and some good) things about that program.

If you are a career changer and you need basically all of the pre-medical courses then an organized post-baccalaureate program is probably right for you. It will only be worth it though if you can get into medical school. If you have a passion for science and medicine and did well in your other undergrad courses, the pre-med classes should not be a problem.

Last edited:
Answers:

Myro - The $50,000 is the estimated combined cost of living expenses and tuition.

Kasho - Very good input. My thinking is along the same as yours - A committee letter and post bacc classes that are extremely expensive leaves me feeling apprehensive. However, I do not think that there is really another option because of the budget cuts and consequent denial of admission to post bacc's to many public schools.

kautionwirez/Holy FranZ - The site only says that they have a 79% matriculation rate into health profession schools - Holy FranZ is right in that this includes other schools besides medical. I cannot find any clear data on how many people have gone into only medical school from this program.

Hey, so I went to the SFSU post-bacc program and am currently applying to med school. I did most of my pre-med required classes there. The 79% figure also reflects the fact that it's hard for the program to keep track of their students once they leave the program and apply to med school. Students who leave often do not bother to notify SFSU of where/if they got in. Ultimately these figures---among any post-bacc---are going to reflect the caliber of the students who attend rather than the quality of the institution. As stated above, it's mainly YOUR performance---not the school's---that determines whether you'll make it into a med school or not.

It does suck that the program lacks linkage, but I don't think you'll find any post-bacc in the SF Bay Area that does (look at UCB extension, Mills, and CSU East Bay---neither has one, I believe). Someone here said that a post-bacc without a linkage is a scam. Not sure how it's a scam, considering I attended the program and will be attending medical school in fall 2014 for sure. I know many peers of mine who attended the program and are having a good cycle, getting into good med schools, etc. I'm not stating that SFSU is an ideal post-bacc, but that it's at the very least an adequate one, as I've not attended other post-baccs so have little basis of comparison. In my experience, the classes were fair and not unduly stressful, the teachers were decent or good, and the committee letter was a nice plus. The students are really friendly and collaborative too, mainly because there's never an unhelpful grading curve (and we're not d-bags).

N=1 but you can click on my mdapps link below my profile picture and see how I am doing in terms of my success, coming from the program. PM me if you have any questions about the program. I enjoyed my time there.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
It does suck that the program lacks linkage, but I don't think you'll find any post-bacc in the SF Bay Area that does (look at UCB extension, Mills, and CSU East Bay---neither has one, I believe)..

I did my post-bac at Mills, and it has linkages with Pitt, Tulane, and Western (DO), and has had all three for at least 7 years now. (The linkages with Tulane and Western are even older). Personally linkages weren't something that mattered to me, but it does give you more confidence in a program. However, SFSU is a very strong post-bac program, and the formal program has been around a long time. Back when I was a post-bac, the three main quality programs in CA were SFSU, Mills, and Scripps down south. (Hopefully I'm not forgetting any others--there might be another strong program down south).

Is that $50,000 figure you mentioned is for two years? I hope it's not just one year because that's what Mills costs, and that'd be really sad if CA public school tuition has actually caught up with private school tuition... Regardless, it's not small change and you want to make sure that wherever you go it'll best increase you changes of getting into medical school, so I can't blame you for worrying. But, I really don't think SFSU is going to limit you--I've only heard good things about their program. Yes, there are better programs around the country, but if your goal is to stay in the Bay Area then I'd really only seriously consider SFSU or Mills, and for some people Mills was too expensive. It was worth it to me and I loved it there, but I also finished in one year. I heard pretty bad things about UCB extension from friends, and I don't know anything about CSU East Bay's program, which is fairly new I believe.

For the record, I knew a number of medical students that did their "post-bac" at community colleges, and they got into medical school. Obviously it helps to go to a formal post-bac where you have better quality teaching and mentoring (and med schools look down a bit on community colleges for the pre-reqs), but they all did OK. It's anecdotal, but I'm just trying to say you can get into medical school from any program--some make it a little easier, some a little harder, but ultimately you just have to be a stronger applicant than the other 50-60%, or whatever the statistic is these days, of applicants.

I did my post-bac at Mills, and it has linkages with Pitt, Tulane, and Western (DO), and has had all three for at least 7 years now. (The linkages with Tulane and Western are even older).

Oh, dang, I didn't know that! Thanks for sharing. :)

Does anyone have a list of good post-bacc/ masters programs in CA for academic enhancers? (I'm pre-dent btw).
SDN seems all over the place with this info. Please help!

If a post-bach doesn't have a direct linkage with its medical school it is basically a scam fake-smp. DO NOT DO IT

They include optometry/DO/Caribbean/pods as "medical" school.
DO is medical school. I went to pb with intent to be a DO, so it would count in their statistics. I'd say other health professions shouldn't since it's a premed school program

I got an interview for SFSU Pre-health Post Bacc this month. How should I prepare? What types of questions will they ask?
(Also are there any previous forums where they have more SFSU Post-bacc info? I'm having a hard time finding it)
Thanks!

I got an interview for SFSU Pre-health Post Bacc this month. How should I prepare? What types of questions will they ask?
(Also are there any previous forums where they have more SFSU Post-bacc info? I'm having a hard time finding it)
Thanks!

Hi Peanutmonster, on a side note, when did you get the interview email?? I'm anxiously waiting to hear back from them too (AET pre-med, applied in early Feb)!

Hi All,

I applief early February as well and have an interview at SFSU this saturday! Wondering what questions they'll ask. Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks!

If you guys are serious about medical school, consider going to the Mills PB program. They accept male students too. They have linkage to WesternU and to a few MD schools.

I seriously hate the SFSU program. I shared my story in another thread. A short summary: they didn't bother tabulating the correct GPA I had (more than 1 institution), they said I had no health experience (already working a year in health care) and they went on to say I wasn't serious about being a doctor and couldn't handle the rigor of science classes. My 3.7 PB GPA mainly made of science, my MCAT (27) and my acceptance into DO school beg to differ. I don't like the idea of students failing, but if you make the mistake of going into this program with 79% matriculation through shady padding of statistics (adding nursing, pod, dental, optometry and caribbean as part of getting in), I say it is your fault if you don't get in (If you're wondering, I applied before they had posted statistics and knew about SDN.) I'm just glad I skipped the $50,000 tuition on a school that would have gotten me nowhere.

If you guys are serious about medical school, consider going to the Mills PB program. They accept male students too. They have linkage to WesternU and to a few MD schools.

I seriously hate the SFSU program. I shared my story in another thread. A short summary: they didn't bother tabulating the correct GPA I had (more than 1 institution), they said I had no health experience (already working a year in health care) and they went on to say I wasn't serious about being a doctor and couldn't handle the rigor of science classes. My 3.7 PB GPA mainly made of science, my MCAT (27) and my acceptance into DO school beg to differ. I don't like the idea of students failing, but if you make the mistake of going into this program with 79% matriculation through shady padding of statistics (adding nursing, pod, dental, optometry and caribbean as part of getting in), I say it is your fault if you don't get in (If you're wondering, I applied before they had posted statistics and knew about SDN.) I'm just glad I skipped the $50,000 tuition on a school that would have gotten me nowhere.
I didn't really understand what you wrote...so did you attend SFSU at one point?

I feel the same way, peanutmonster. It was not clear if AlbinoHawk DO attended SFSU.
I applied to SFSU and after reading this comment I am going to do a more intense research about the program. I feel nervous.

Hey, so I went to the SFSU post-bacc program and am currently applying to med school. I did most of my pre-med required classes there. The 79% figure also reflects the fact that it's hard for the program to keep track of their students once they leave the program and apply to med school. Students who leave often do not bother to notify SFSU of where/if they got in. Ultimately these figures---among any post-bacc---are going to reflect the caliber of the students who attend rather than the quality of the institution. As stated above, it's mainly YOUR performance---not the school's---that determines whether you'll make it into a med school or not.

It does suck that the program lacks linkage, but I don't think you'll find any post-bacc in the SF Bay Area that does (look at UCB extension, Mills, and CSU East Bay---neither has one, I believe). Someone here said that a post-bacc without a linkage is a scam. Not sure how it's a scam, considering I attended the program and will be attending medical school in fall 2014 for sure. I know many peers of mine who attended the program and are having a good cycle, getting into good med schools, etc. I'm not stating that SFSU is an ideal post-bacc, but that it's at the very least an adequate one, as I've not attended other post-baccs so have little basis of comparison. In my experience, the classes were fair and not unduly stressful, the teachers were decent or good, and the committee letter was a nice plus. The students are really friendly and collaborative too, mainly because there's never an unhelpful grading curve (and we're not d-bags).

N=1 but you can click on my mdapps link below my profile picture and see how I am doing in terms of my success, coming from the program. PM me if you have any questions about the program. I enjoyed my time there.

Hi there, I will be applying for SFSU post bacc program this Winter- actually working on the application already. Any tips? :) Were you able to get into medical school?