sGPA 3.45, cGPA 3.41, MCAT 34O

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bananaz

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Your application is very similar to mine and I got interviews at 6 MD schools and 2 acceptances (nearly identical GPA and MCAT, psych major w/ upward trend, hospice volunteer, animal shelter volunteer, work with hearing-impaired invididuals... ). You definitely have a shot at MD schools! Especially since you are an OR resident, I see no reason why you would not want to apply to OHSU and at LEAST some other schools in the Pacific NW.

Check my MDApps for details about my app and also my schools list. I applied really broadly to MD schools only, mainly in the west and Midwest, so a lot of the schools would probably be in your target range if you like the locations and the schools themselves.

You are a little short on clinical volunteering. I would advise that the only thing you can really do about that at this point is to be sure to continue that during the application cycle, and as the cycle continues, include that fact in your update letter to schools that will accept one. You have a lot of nonclinical volunteering and some research, so hopefully that will balance out the somewhat low amount of clinical hours. And definitely explain your upward trend and your Ws in your PS, but be sure to do it without making excuses.

I think aspects of your application will help you stand out, especially things like owning your small business, so that is a very good thing.

Good luck to you this cycle. :) With my similar stats, I was very nervous about my chances this cycle, and it all turned out very well for me and hopefully it will for you too!

I agree, you have a well rounded application that includes a GREAT MCAT and decent GPA...I had lesser numbers than you, but with more clinical, and got two interviews and am on the waitlist. DO is a good chance, and maybe OHSU an then they consider you as an Oregon resident....All the best and all the courage in the process!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you very much for the responses, it's really encouraging to hear that people with similar stats are getting interviews and acceptances since it can be hard to tell what is and isn't competitive based on the threads I read here.

And that's an excellent point about sending update letters regarding continued clinical volunteering, I will definitely have to do that.

Your application is very similar to mine and I got interviews at 6 MD schools and 2 acceptances (nearly identical GPA and MCAT, psych major w/ upward trend, hospice volunteer, animal shelter volunteer, work with hearing-impaired invididuals... ). You definitely have a shot at MD schools! Especially since you are an OR resident, I see no reason why you would not want to apply to OHSU and at LEAST some other schools in the Pacific NW.

Check my MDApps for details about my app and also my schools list. I applied really broadly to MD schools only, mainly in the west and Midwest, so a lot of the schools would probably be in your target range if you like the locations and the schools themselves.

You are a little short on clinical volunteering. I would advise that the only thing you can really do about that at this point is to be sure to continue that during the application cycle, and as the cycle continues, include that fact in your update letter to schools that will accept one. You have a lot of nonclinical volunteering and some research, so hopefully that will balance out the somewhat low amount of clinical hours. And definitely explain your upward trend and your Ws in your PS, but be sure to do it without making excuses.

I think aspects of your application will help you stand out, especially things like owning your small business, so that is a very good thing.

Good luck to you this cycle. :) With my similar stats, I was very nervous about my chances this cycle, and it all turned out very well for me and hopefully it will for you too!

I just took a look at your MDApps and realized that I had already come across your profile and bookmarked it yesterday! Kind of amazing how many parallels there are (I also didn't decide to pursue medicine until my senior year and extended my undergrad to take the pre-reqs).

Anyway, I found your commentary on there to be really helpful, so thank you again :)

You and I have similar stats as well, and I was lucky enough to receive many MD interviews. I think my interview number is a bit inflated though since I come from a state with seven medical schools! I would highly recommend taking post-bacc upper level science classes during the summer and Fall so you can show them that you can handle the challenging medical school coursework, and this would also give you an opportunity to send them update letters. I regret not sending update letters till January or so. I would send one in October and December.

:luck:

You and I have similar stats as well, and I was lucky enough to receive many MD interviews. I think my interview number is a bit inflated though since I come from a state with seven medical schools! I would highly recommend taking post-bacc upper level science classes during the summer and Fall so you can show them that you can handle the challenging medical school coursework, and this would also give you an opportunity to send them update letters. I regret not sending update letters till January or so. I would send one in October and December.

:luck:

Thanks for the response. I think you're right that my application (and GPA) would benefit from more upper-level science classes, but unfortunately between my work schedule and having a baby I don't think that's going to happen anytime soon :( I'm planning on continuing with my volunteering though and will be getting my applications in as early as I can (I have my primary apps just about finished) so would it be reasonable to send an update sooner, say in late August or September?

Thanks for the response. I think you're right that my application (and GPA) would benefit from more upper-level science classes, but unfortunately between my work schedule and having a baby I don't think that's going to happen anytime soon :( I'm planning on continuing with my volunteering though and will be getting my applications in as early as I can (I have my primary apps just about finished) so would it be reasonable to send an update sooner, say in late August or September?

Look into online classes because grades are really the one aspect that could significantly increase your chances by proving your grades will not doom you to remediation/ failure in medical school. UC San Diego, UC Berkley, and Harvard Extension Online courses are a start. I would say to send updates after they've had some time to reflect on your application, so late August or September might be a bit too early. :luck:

Look into online classes because grades are really the one aspect that could significantly increase your chances by proving your grades will not doom you to remediation/ failure in medical school. UC San Diego, UC Berkley, and Harvard Extension Online courses are a start. I would say to send updates after they've had some time to reflect on your application, so late August or September might be a bit too early. :luck:

Online classes are a great idea, I'll have to look into those. Thanks!

Online classes are a great idea, I'll have to look into those. Thanks!

And I am so sorry for not commenting on this earlier, but CONGRATULATIONS ON A NEW BABY! :soexcited::biglove::claps:

Fantastic job on the MCAT. How was your GPA trend throughout the years?

Fantastic job on the MCAT. How was your GPA trend throughout the years?

Thanks! Initially my GPA kind of bounced all over the 3.0 - 4.0 range, except for one really rough quarter where I ended up withdrawing from all but one of my classes, and I got a C- in that class which gave me a 1.7 for the term :(

But my performance was solidly in the 3.4 - 3.5 zone after that, and then for the last three quarters I averaged a 3.76 with all but one of my grades being an A-, A or A+. I'm hoping that that will be enough of an "upward trend" for adcoms, though I'm sure the inconsistency from the rest of my transcript is not going to help my case.