WAMC: 3.59 cGPA, 3.45 sGPA, 524 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PeterParker616

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I am planning on applying next cycle (2024-2025). Any comments on my school list or what I can do to improve before I apply are much appreciated. Don't hold back!
  1. cGPA: 3.59 sGPA: 3.45 (BS in Physiology)
  2. Took the MCAT twice:
    1. First score - 503 (125/128/125/125)
    2. Second score - 524 (131/132/130/131)
  3. Michigan Resident
  4. White
  5. State School
  6. Clinical experience: (volunteer and non-volunteer)
    1. 300 hours as a hospital/nursing home volunteer that has given me incredible access to patients and has lead to many impactful interactions
      1. I've helped expand the program to many other places outside of my college town where it was started.
    2. 200 hours Worked as an MA for a summer in an electrophysiology clinic.
  7. Research experience:
    1. 2500 hours in paid research
      1. Served many difference roles inside the lab: Gave lectures on physiology to undergrads and taught surgical skills, trained new personnel, performed surgeries, was able to see the direct impact of research through visiting patients in the hospital.
    2. 500 planned hours in the same lab
    3. Presentations: I was listed as third author on an oral presentation in a high impact journal from the same lab, I am planning on submitting my own personal project to a conference soon that I will hopefully present at this year.
    4. Publications: I have two publications. A literature review and a paper on the main project that I work on in the lab. I am second author on the literature review and a third author on the paper.
      1. The Literature review is also being published in a textbook (I'm not sure what relevance this has).
  8. Shadowing experience and specialties represented
    1. 85 hours (Cardiac Surgery, Infectious disease, Electrophysiology)
  9. Non-clinical volunteering
    1. 2000 hours as a full-time volunteer teacher in a highschool
      1. Also served as a substitute teacher, lacrosse coach, Moderator for clubs, counselor, lead lectures, etc
  10. Other extracurricular activities (including athletics, military service, gap year activities, leadership, teaching, etc)
    1. 250 hours One on one STEM/writing tutor paid and volunteer at my discretion: 250 hours
    2. 200 hours Founded a club based on education in undergrad that is still active after I have graduated.
    3. 100 hours governor campaign intern
    4. 200 hours Work as a student mentor through a large hospital system for underprivileged and underrepresented students to help get them into STEM and Medicine
    5. 300 hours TA for physics lab
      1. I lead instruction, graded papers, and had office hours outside of class
      2. It was just me and a grad student leading lab which consisted of a lecture and group work time.
  11. Anything else not listed you think might be important
    1. I was formally trained to play multiple instruments as a child and now casually play. I have taught others how to play. I have also performed a few times, for example, a recent neuroscience conference I went to had a talent event that allowed attendees to play music on a stage.
    2. Intramural sports
    3. I was also in my school's student government, but I was elected right before Covid started and didn't get to do much with my position because school was shut down. I did some advising for younger students and created a parade float, but again I didn't really get to do what I wanted.
I was really freaked out after my first MCAT attempt because I realized that with my lower GPA it would be really hard to make it to an MD program. I reassessed my strategy and worked extremely hard for my second attempt and am happy that it worked out so well. Can this make up for those other low stats and give me a shot at some top 10/20s? My top two choices are Michigan and Wayne State because I'd like to stay in state and closer to home for family.

I would also appreciate any advice for expanding my school list.

Members don't see this ad.

I suggest these schools with your stats:
U Michigan
Michigan State
Wayne State
Central Michigan
Western Michigan
Oakland Beaumont
Toledo
Tufts
Boston University
Hofstra
Einstein
Rochester
New York Medical College
Pittsburgh
Jefferson
Temple
George Washington
USF Morsani
Miami
Tulane
TCU
St. Louis

Reactions: 1 user
I suggest these schools with your stats:
U Michigan
Michigan State
Wayne State
Central Michigan
Western Michigan
Oakland Beaumont
Toledo
Tufts
Boston University
Hofstra
Einstein
Rochester
New York Medical College
Pittsburgh
Jefferson
Temple
George Washington
USF Morsani
Miami
Tulane
TCU
St. Louis
Just curious, why with a 524 MCAT Temple, GWU, Tulane, TCU, Toledo, Wayne? Shouldn't more T20's, or at least high ranked mid-tiers, be in play?

Members don't see this ad :)
Just curious, why with a 524 MCAT Temple, GWU, Tulane, TCU, Toledo, Wayne? Shouldn't more T20's, or at least high ranked mid-tiers, be in play?
Not the poster who left that comment but I would guess that the cGPA/sGPA are going to be a limiting factor despite the high MCAT. There is also the fact that the 524 was a retake. The OP expressed a desire to stay IS in Michigan and obviously the schools you pointed out don't mesh with that desire (with the exception of Wayne), but replacing them with T20s is a wash as far as achieving that goal.

Last edited:
What top 20s do you think I should add? While I want to stay in Michigan I'm curious as to what my options are. Maybe my mind will change in the next year before I apply.

OP has below average GPAs and is a two time test taker. (But nice job on the retake-not many people increase their score by 21 points.)
Another thing is OP seems to have no nonclinical volunteering. OP have tons of teaching but that is a whole different category. OP Go reread the descriptors for nonclinical volunteering. You need face to face hands on volunteering with people unlike yourself. You mention no activities with the unserved, underserved, immigrant population,homeless, etc.

Another thing is OP seems to have no nonclinical volunteering. OP have tons of teaching but that is a whole different category.
Yeah, I was hedging on this. I don't know about being a full-time teaching assistant without getting paid. Also the other "duties as assigned" did not suggest the high school was a Title 1 school... but I can be wrong. Tons of teaching and tutoring that it suggests this OP is really suited for teaching or graduate school.

Reactions: 1 users
OP has below average GPAs and is a two time test taker. (But nice job on the retake-not many people increase their score by 21 points.)
Another thing is OP seems to have no nonclinical volunteering. OP have tons of teaching but that is a whole different category. OP Go reread the descriptors for nonclinical volunteering. You need face to face hands on volunteering with people unlike yourself. You mention no activities with the unserved, underserved, immigrant population,homeless, etc.
I stupidly didn't study for my first attempt. I was pressured from my family to take the MCAT and apply, but I wasn't ready. When I got my score back I reassessed and spent 6 months studying part-time, and am really fortunate that it worked out so well.

Like I said in another reply. While I was at the high school teaching I led and participated in a volunteer program at the school where we went out into the city and gave care packages to homeless people. I should have included that in my original post, but I lumped it all together in my mind and glossed over it.

And yes I'm worried about my low GPAs. I hope they're not a disqualifying factor. I did have an upward trend if that makes it any better. I was immature and distracted when I entered college and have defiantly grown significantly since. Covid didn't help my procrastination, but I've really matured during my gap years which is why I believe I was able to find success on the MCAT. I hope that admissions will be able to see that growth because I really do want to attend a more competitive program so that I can maximize what I can do as a physician as I am also interested in participating in research.

Last edited:
Yeah, I was hedging on this. I don't know about being a full-time teaching assistant without getting paid. Also the other "duties as assigned" did not suggest the high school was a Title 1 school... but I can be wrong. Tons of teaching and tutoring that it suggests this OP is really suited for teaching or graduate school.
While I was teaching at the school I helped run a volunteer program in which we would go out into the city every week with food and care packages for homeless people. Before we went out we prepared meals and care packages that consisted of clothes, toiletries, and various other items.

I participated in the program, but I also led it and had other students join in to help. I probably should have mentioned this in my original post. I just did so much during that year that I forgot about some of the things I did. I'll make sure to include that when I actually apply.

Should I list it as its own activity, or do I lump it in with my year of teaching?

And yes I'm worried about my low GPAs. I hope they're not a disqualifying factor. I did have an upward trend if that makes it any better. I was immature and distracted when I entered college and have defiantly grown significantly since. Covid didn't help my procrastination, but I've really matured during my gap years which is why I believe I was able to find success on the MCAT. I hope that admissions will be able to see that growth because I really do want to attend a more competitive program so that I can maximize what I can do as a physician as I am also interested in participating in research.

Your upward trend does make a difference. Especially if you had a 3.7 or better the last two years.