sGPA 3.7, cGPA 3.74, 82%-92% MCAT: Help w/ school list

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

meow+or_never

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
  • Florida resident
  • 3.70 sGPA, 3.74 cGPA
  • MCAT: 82%-92% overall
-74%-89% chem/phys
-85%-100% CARS
- 62%-77% bio (low, I know, I haven’t taken biochem yet :/)
-85%-100% psych/soc
  • Major: Interdisciplinary Studies
  • Minor: Chemistry
In the Fall I am starting a 1-year Master’s in Biomedical Science (not an SMP)

Volunteering:
  • Clinical: 75 hours (100 by end of summer)
  • Non-clinical: 100 hours (wide variety: service camp, rebuilding homes destroyed by Katrina, after school tutoring program for elementary kids)

• Shadowing: 35 hours (general surgeon, ENT surgeon, orthopedic surgeon, anesthesiologist)
  • Research: no science-related research to speak of, but ~30 hours w/ a sociology prof, assisting w/ research involving the civil rights movement (will be doing some clinical research this year)

Employment:
  • Res life: 1.5 years
  • Service camp staff: 200 hours one summer
  • History department: 1.5 years

Other: veterinary clinic intern, 75 hours (brief stint between history major and pre-med when I thought I wanted to be a vet- think my PS did a good job of clearing any doubt that I am unsure of my career path though)

Other stuff: I got very sick last summer/fall semester w/ a couple of concurrent infections that went undiagnosed for a long time, had to withdraw from a class and got behind a little

Here’s what I’m thinking:

Big Reaches: U of Florida, Loyola Chicago, Wake Forest, U of Miami, U of Rochester

Others: FSU, UCF, USF, UF, FIU, FAU, Albany Med. College, Rosalind Franklin, Drexel, Eastern Virginia U, Quinnipiac, Thomas Jefferson, Tulane, U. of Vermont, Virginia Commonwealth, Virginia Tech

Members don't see this ad.

You have a good list and should draw some interest from the FL schools. Your OOS schools are realistic for your stats. Apply this month and submit all your secondaries by July and you should receive several interviews.

This is an excellent list, and if anything too conservative. I would keep all the schools you listed there, but perhaps add a reach school or two. Also I would predict that you get an interview from Loyola with those stats and volunteering if you write a good secondary. Its not at all a reach for you.

This is an excellent list, and if anything too conservative. I would keep all the schools you listed there, but perhaps add a reach school or two. Also I would predict that you get an interview from Loyola with those stats and volunteering if you write a good secondary. Its not at all a reach for you.
Thank you for your input! Do you have any ideas of good "reaches" offhand? I'd prefer to stay on the East Coast/maybe somewhere at least kind of mission-oriented but really, I'm open to anything