SGU global scholars program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futureworlddoc

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I would like to ask any current students about this program. I've attended the SGU sessions, made my applications. It is something I'm considering strongly but would like some honest anonymous feedback.

Members don't see this ad.

Haha thanks. I don't have the time and resources to redo "recent degrees" to make North American schools happy to consider my recent grades. They think you dumb down and can't handle med if you haven't taken an undergrad class in 10 years, despite running a business and teaching. I graduated many years ago. SGU is giving me a chance. I can put my career on hold and always go back to what I'm doing if it doesn't work out.

Can anyone comment on life in Grenada in second year?
Is it possible to do all clerkship in 1 city for the last two years of school? Would make moving easier for family.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
omfg you don't seem to realize the years wasted for nothing going Carribbean vs years invested to do ****ing anything that isn't Caribbean

four year towards bull**** still smells of bull**** my friend

Haha thanks. I don't have the time and resources to redo "recent degrees" to make North American schools happy to consider my recent grades. They think you dumb down and can't handle med if you haven't taken an undergrad class in 10 years, despite running a business and teaching. I graduated many years ago. SGU is giving me a chance. I can put my career on hold and always go back to what I'm doing if it doesn't work out.

Is it possible to do all clerkship in 1 city for the last two years of school? Would make moving easier for family.

Having just graduated SGU, I would recommend not to attend. Here is my main thread on the subject. http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...y-you-should-stay-away.1199038/#post-17741237

If you attend the Global scholars, you cannot take government loans. That alone makes this program completely unreasonable.
In terms of living in Grenada, it is not easy, especially if you have a family. Everything costs a ton, and the schooling for kids down there is horrific. My thread has a lot more info about general life down on the island.
It is possible to do 2 years in one spot, just not common, and you cannot guarantee you will be granted this. Some people are given random locations moving every month, MD-NJ-OH-MI-NY-FL, If you get a core rotation site, you can assume you will stay there for all of 3rd year, but 4th you most likely will have to move around. I did not know a single person who stayed at 1 hospital all 2 years.
Good luck!

Reactions: 3 users
nobody in nontrad on SDN is going to tell you this is a good or even not-awful idea.

anonymous feedback is NOT what you should be looking for.

if SGU can't put you in touch with recent grads of THIS PROGRAM who are now in residencies where YOU want to do residency, then are you being a smart consumer? nope.

Haha thanks. I don't have the time...

So many Caribbean students lose years during school and before landing a suitable non-dead end residency that it's usually a wash. I've met people that weren't able to stay on schedule at Caribbean schools because they couldn't line up core rotations in the year they needed them (these are offered at unaffiliated hospitals in the US). I've met people who got hung up on internal hurdles that delayed their being allowed to sit for Step exams. I've met people who had to do multiple research years following offshore med school before they got a residency spot, and I've met people who got into "dead end" preliminary year intern years and had to go back into the match de novo the following year. So a lot of people who go offshore to "save time" end up losing time. And all this assumes you survive attrition and get a residency spot at the end - which many who go offshore won't. It's a Hail Mary shot you might take after you've exhausted all US options after multiple attempts, really not a wise idea before that.

Reactions: 2 users
You are exactly the gullible and desperate mark these diploma mills prey upon. You've been warned.

The pool of US applicants from the Caribbean is viewed differently by Program Directors. The DDx for a Caribbean grad is pretty off-putting: bad judgment, bad advice, egotism, gullibility, overbearing parents, inability to delay gratification, IA's, legal problems, weak research skills, high risk behavior. This is not to say that all of them still have the quality that drew them into this situation. There is just no way to know which ones they are. Some PD's are in a position where they need to, or can afford to take risks too! So, some do get interviews.

Bad grades and scores are the least of the deficits from a PD's standpoint. A strong academic showing in a Caribbean medical school does not erase this stigma. It fact it increases the perception that the reason for the choice was on the above-mentioned list!

Just about everyone from a Caribbean school has one or more of these problems and PDs know it. That's why their grads are the last choice even with a high Step 1 score.

There was a time when folks whose only flaw was being a late bloomer went Carib, but those days are gone. There are a number of spots at US schools with grade replacement for these candidates.

It's likely you'll be in the bottom half or two thirds of the class that gets dismissed before Step 1. The business plan of a Carib school depends on the majority of the class not needing to be supported in clinical rotations. They literally can't place all 250+ of the starting class at clinical sites (educational malpractice, really. If this happened at a US school, they be shut down by LCME or COCA, and sued.

The Carib (and other offshore) schools have very tenuous, very expensive, very controversial relationships with a very small number of US clinical sites. You may think you can just ask to do your clinical rotations at a site near home. Nope. You may think you don't have to worry about this stuff. Wrong.

And let's say you get through med school in the Carib and get what you need out of the various clinical rotation scenarios. Then you are in the match gamble. I don't need to say a word about this - you can find everything you need to know at nrmp.org.

You really need to talk to people who made it through Carib into residency, and hear the story from them. How many people were in their class at the start, how many are in it now? How long did it take to get a residency, and how did they handle the gap year(s) and their student loans? How many residencies did they apply to, how many interviews did they get, and were any of the programs on their match list anything like what they wanted?

A little light reading:

https://milliondollarmistake.wordpress.com/

http://www.tameersiddiqui.com/medical-school-at-sgu

Reactions: 1 users
I attended the SGU presentation twice in my city and spoke with the residents whom I know from SGU.

My other question is in regards to UMHS in St. Kitt's. I don't personally know anyone who attended, from research it seems like a great new school with a much smaller class size than SGU.

*sigh* You've been warned.

I attended the SGU presentation twice in my city and spoke with the residents whom I know from SGU.

My other question is in regards to UMHS in St. Kitt's. I don't personally know anyone who attended, from research it seems like a great new school with a much smaller class size than SGU.

"research" lol.

OP, I understand the attraction of the Caribbean med schools. If you truly understand the financial and professional risks you're taking by attending, then by all means go for it. I'd definitely recommend reading as much of both the good and bad stories as you can and understanding the full picture. Do not ignore the advice of the posters above.

That being said, you should really think about what you could do if you decided to pursue med school on the continent (north american continent). What's stopping you? The fact that med schools over here won't accept 10 year old coursework or MCAT scores? It sounds like your pride may be getting in the way. Your life experience will be valued by North American adcoms, but you still need to jump through all the hoops just like 21 year old undergrads do. Your life experience does not make you an exception to any of their rules.

You say you can "put your career on hold and always come back". How is SGU any different in this regard? The only difference I see is, if you spend two years doing a post-bacc you'll spend $20k. Two years at SGU is $100k. Can you afford that?

I don't think I mentioned above but I am Canadian.
My chance at a US MD or DO are very very low. This is due to 10 years ago when I was a young kid and thinking of CAnadian schools, writing the MCAT as many times as possible to get a high score (and also to "practice"). This is due to the fact that our schools did not look at number of attempts only the latest score. Many people did this and go it. At the time I did not get in. I was one of the unlucky 84% of applicants who do not get into medicine in Canada. I took another route with my life.

I am looking at Carib as I honestly think it is my only chance; unless I do the GMAT and apply to England.

@futureworlddoc You still have good options. Re-take 2 years of coursework at Athabasca U online (over 90% is quite achievable) and apply to Canadian schools that either drop courses taken 10+ years ago, or take your best two years' average.

I have very smart IMG friends who are unable to find a residency in Canada.

So what if you are Canadian...I am Canadian as well (I have been a permanent resident for over 10 years/green card holder here in the US for 5 years) and I am currently doing grade replacement so that I may matriculate into Osteopathic schools here in the US (I am not an MD chaser. I want the DO behind my name. It is what I prefer). I have been removed from the pre-requisites for more than 5 years. You are probably older than me but you are lacking a lot of wisdom (knowledge earned through living/experiencing life) if your heart is set on Caribbean schools. Good luck though. I hope I don't see you stocking shelf's at Walmart.

Reactions: 3 users
So what if you are Canadian...I am Canadian as well (I have been a permanent resident for over 10 years/green card holder here in the US for 5 years) and I am currently doing grade replacement so that I may matriculate into Osteopathic schools here in the US (I am not an MD chaser. I want the DO behind my name. It is what I prefer). I have been removed from the pre-requisites for more than 5 years. You are probably older than me but you are lacking a lot of wisdom (knowledge earned through living/experiencing life) if your heart is set on Caribbean schools. Good luck though. I hope I don't see you stocking shelf's at Walmart.

@futureworlddoc
Read this and take heed.

Please stay away from the Caribbean, let alone SGU. A good friend of mine, is on the verge of being kicked out from SGU, he was smart, intelligent, but advised me that the support system for students simply does not exist. Being able to match or not is one thing, its just simply not an environment conducive to success.