SGU MD admission

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Does anyone have an idea of hw the admissions process works at SGU ( pre and post interview)

• yes

Votes: 3 60.0%
  • no

Votes: 2 40.0%

• Total voters

islandinthesunnn

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have an idea of how the admissions process works at SGU ( pre and post interview). Do they look at your grades before granting the interview? If so then what is the reason for the committee meeting AFTER interview to decide whether you are accepted or not.

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone have an idea of how the admissions process works at SGU ( pre and post interview). Do they look at your grades before granting the interview? If so then what is the reason for the committee meeting AFTER interview to decide whether you are accepted or not.

What kind of question is this. Why wouldn't they meet AFTER the interview to make a decision? Isn't that the point of an interview? They need to assess your candidacy and interview performance AFTER you interview, otherwise what was the point of having an interview?

What kind of question is this. Why wouldn't they meet AFTER the interview to make a decision? Isn't that the point of an interview? They need to assess your candidacy and interview performance AFTER you interview, otherwise what was the point of having an interview?
I don't mean "what is the point" in a bad way. I just assume that the reason I got an interview was because I academically meet their criteria so if the interview goes well then does that mean I have acceptance into term1 or do their review everything once again? are academic qualifications assessed prior or after the interview..that is really what I wanted to know. I'm just trying to understand how their whole process works.

Members don't see this ad :)

Current SGU student here. The committee does pre-screen you for an interview. Therefore, your GPA, MCAT, etc is ok. However, you need to rock the interview to get a spot in the MD class. This can either be one of two types of acceptances, based on different factors:

1. You rock the interview, your grades are awesome, MCAT is high. Accepted
2. You rock the interview, but your grades/MCAT have some questions (grades not consistent, or lower MCAT).. So, they will put you into A or B...

A: MSAP (This is what I was put in). MSAP is a free 4 week summer online course with SGU starting about 7 weeks before the semester begins. You pass MSAP, you are accepted into that semesters MD class. It's a tough course, but it will prepare you. If you fail MSAP, you have the option to do the Charter program (CFP), see B, below.
B: Charter Foundation Program. I'm not too knowledgable with this program, but it's basically a semester review course to prepare you for the MD program. From what I hear, it's a great program and prepares you well for med school. However, no federal loans... so look into it.

When I interviewed, my interviewer did not have my gpa or mcat. It is a blind interview. Therefore, she expected my gpa and mcat to be what the admissions committee is looking for, in either the regular acceptance, MSAP, or CFP... otherwise, there would be no interview. Professionalism is really big at SGU, so be very professional in your interview and prepare well. They ask the standard questions, and some odd-balls, I'm sure there's a list of those on here somewhere.

Of course the admissions committee meets post-interview. The reason is to look over the notes that your interviewer took and then they will decide. An interview is an important part of medical school admissions. There are people that just cannot interview, not professional, cannot communicate, or have red flags when they are interviewing.... so they will probably not be accepted. My decision came about 3 weeks after my interview, although it depends on the time of year you apply and how swamped they are.

I feel like my acceptance was on the fence, but I felt insanely good after my interview. We clicked, I was very very professional, mature, and I was extremely prepared for any question at all. They also want to make sure you are human and have a personal life, sense of humor, adaptable and they also want to make sure you realize what the island life is like. It's awesome here, I love it, but it's not for everyone. Many of my peers are homesick, often complain about the food, water/wifi going out random times, bus problems, etc... Living in Grenada has it's pro's and con's... I'm very easy going and adaptable, so I'm ok, but others aren't, so just be prepared. They will ask you if you ever traveled, how do you deal with difficult circumstances, people, home sickness, personal de-stressing, etc... be ready to answer that and most importantly, be ready and educated about living here for 2 years.

Basically, if you have an interview, and rock it, I mean really impress them, you have a very very good chance in either option 1, 2A, or 2B as listed above. Good luck!

Reactions: 2 users
There is also a "2C." If the guy above me goes to SGU, he should know about it...

Even with mediocre grades and MCAT scores, they will accept you into the term 1 class but you will have to attend some mandatory review program for the first term. I believe it is peer-led akin to TA review sessions. That's what my friend did and he's off the island now. Honestly I thought they would put him in Foundations but I guess you have to have much lower grades to get placed into that. Also keep in mind that SGU focuses on your last 60 credits or so. You can essentially have terrible grades for your first two years with a huge upward trend and still have a chance. That can all be verified through admissions should you wish to dig that deep.

SGU alums most always do the interviews. When I interviewed with them they make you write an essay and I believe the purpose of that essay is to see if you can write in English and to make sure you are the one signing your signature.

The alum then sends the interview report to the adcom and they send your app for final review. Keep in mind that there are about six people fighting for each spot at SGU so nothing is guaranteed contrary to what some other characters on this site would have you believe.

During the interview it would be very wise to discuss your knowledge of the financials and to be yourself.

Plenty of people get rejected from SGU. I was accepted to SGU but I went to another school and we had SGU rejects there so it's a little more complicated than what most people will be advising you here.

Reactions: 1 user
There is also a "2C." If the guy above me goes to SGU, he should know about it...

Even with mediocre grades and MCAT scores, they will accept you into the term 1 class but you will have to attend some mandatory review program for the first term. I believe it is peer-led akin to TA review sessions. That's what my friend did and he's off the island now. Honestly I thought they would put him in Foundations but I guess you have to have much lower grades to get placed into that. Also keep in mind that SGU focuses on your last 60 credits or so. You can essentially have terrible grades for your first two years with a huge upward trend and still have a chance. That can all be verified through admissions should you wish to dig that deep.

SGU alums most always do the interviews. When I interviewed with them they make you write an essay and I believe the purpose of that essay is to see if you can write in English and to make sure you are the one signing your signature.

The alum then sends the interview report to the adcom and they send your app for final review. Keep in mind that there are about six people fighting for each spot at SGU so nothing is guaranteed contrary to what some other characters on this site would have you believe.

During the interview it would be very wise to discuss your knowledge of the financials and to be yourself.

Plenty of people get rejected from SGU. I was accepted to SGU but I went to another school and we had SGU rejects there so it's a little more complicated than what most people will be advising you here.

They did away with the essay, I believe last spring or the fall before. No more essay (unless they just brought it back)... They do discuss financials with you and make sure you realize how much debt you are getting yourself into- good point!

As far as the option C, it's called AEP- about 1/3 of the MD class is in it. There's two parts to this. First, you have to go to once a week for 1 hour small group sessions (AEP session, same group members each week and upper termer facilitators). They basically go over high yield stuff that you learned that week. Second, is DES sessions. You have to do at least 1 hour a week, but no more than 4 hours a week (4 sessions) which are small group tutoring sessions from upper termers. All very helpful stuff and only helps you. If you get above the GPA they want after 1st term, then you are out of AEP and you don't need to do any of those... otherwise, you remain in AEP 2nd term. It's no biggie first term, the AEP and DES sessions are all helpful, and most of the non-AEP students go to the DES sessions as well.

If you are put in MSAP and pass to term 1 MD, they automatically put you in AEP. They can also accept you right into term 1 MD and be in AEP. All in all, it's just extra tutoring sessions each week (mandatory) and you're in the same lecture hall, same classes and all as your term 1 MD students.

You are right, SGU is competitive, now more than ever... even though you get an interview, don't get your hopes up. Just really rock the interview and do the best you can.

Reactions: 1 users
Current SGU student here. .

A: MSAP (This is what I was put in). MSAP is a free 4 week summer online course with SGU starting about 7 weeks before the semester begins. You pass MSAP, you are accepted into that semesters MD class. It's a tough course, but it will prepare you. If you fail MSAP, you have the option to do the Charter program (CFP), see B, below.
Basically, if you have an interview, and rock it, I mean really impress them, you have a very very good chance in either option 1, 2A, or 2B as listed above. Good luck!

Hey! I got the MSAP option and I begin classes on Monday! Do you mind sharing any information or advice the can help me through this program?

Reactions: 1 user