Shadow/volunteer time question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pojman

Level 99 Alchemist
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a peer that is a pharmacist, and I would like to shadow him for a day (~8hrs). I would like to spend this day asking many questions related to pharmacy, and getting a feel for what kind of work he does.

He is also willing to write me a letter of recommendation. Do you think that one focused shift of observation and conversation is too little? Or, does my idea sound productive?

Members don't see this ad.

I think it's too little for a strong recommendation letter. But I think the shadowing experience will be very helpful when it comes to talking about your pharmacy experience in essays and interviews.

I think it's too little for a strong recommendation letter. But I think the shadowing experience will be very helpful when it comes to talking about your pharmacy experience in essays and interviews.

I would agree with that about the issue of the letter of recomendation. But, this is a co-worker that I have known for about 8 years.

I was a retail manager in a "big box" store for many years. He was the pharmacist in the store. Although we did not work under the same direct department, we got to know each other, and worked with each other indirectly often. He was actually one of my major inspirations for perusing a pharmacy career. So, he can speak for my long term work ethic, and what is was like working together as a team.

I have a peer that is a pharmacist, and I would like to shadow him for a day (~8hrs). I would like to spend this day asking many questions related to pharmacy, and getting a feel for what kind of work he does.

He is also willing to write me a letter of recommendation. Do you think that one focused shift of observation and conversation is too little? Or, does my idea sound productive?

Too little for what? To use as the basis for an essay about why you're sure you want to be a pharmacist? Probably. To give you a taste for what a typical work day in community pharmacy is like? If so, I'd say go for it.

Although, I'm pretty sure most people in my class have little to no pharmacy experience, so make of that what you will.