Shadow

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OSUkid

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I recently obtained a shadowing opportunity. However, I do not know what is expected out of me. Obviously observing, but I should I talk to the dentist often or would they be annoyed? The dentist I am shadowing sees many patients, and I do not think it is proper to talk to the dentist when he/she have their hands in someones mouth, but then I also do not want to experience the awkward silence and for the dentist to think I am some kind of freak...
Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

It depends on the dentist. Some like complete silence when they work, while others welcome conversation and questions. I usually stay quiet myself when I observed, but the dentist I shadowed for would explain certain procedures as I listened, and in return, I'd ask questions when appropriate. At the office I go to, we have one dentist who doesn't say a peep when he's working on a patient, not even to the dental assistant. On the other hand, the dentist I shadow at the same office likes to talk to the dental assistant or me as she works whether it's about current events, the procedure at hand, whatever comes to mind. Just get a feel for how the he/she works and go from there.

If the dentist agreed for you to shadow him/her, I highly doubt he/she would be annoyed by you talking to them. I'd recommend showing up 15 minutes early to the shadowing and talking to the dentist about what he/she wants. Each dentist I've shadowed (seven so far...) was slightly different in their expectations. Some encouraged me to ask questions as long as they were questions that didn't alarm the patients (ex. "why is that causing so much bleeding??"), some wanted me to talk to all of their assistants/hygienists to get a feel for how the team works together, some just wanted me to keep up (I'm glad she told me to wear my running shoes - pediatric dentists know how to move!).

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
So far I've shadowed 1 GP and 1 periodontist. Both have given in-depth explanations during all of the procedures and asked if I understood why X was happening. Generally I reply with the "Ahhhh, okay" during the procedures so I don't annoy them.With the periodontist, I spent more time alone with the patients which was pretty awkward at times since I'm terrible at small talking strangers despite being a psychology major and working in a job where I just interact with people 1 on 1...So I would just pretend I was analyzing the x-rays to kill time during the silence :laugh:

Last edited:
Definitely ask the dentist beforehand what's expected of you. I shadowed a dentist that didn't want me to say ANYTHING in front of the patient unless he specifically asked something of me. Better to be safe and polite than get on their bad side!

Reactions: 1 user
Definitely ask the dentist beforehand what's expected of you. I shadowed a dentist that didn't want me to say ANYTHING in front of the patient unless he specifically asked something of me. Better to be safe and polite than get on their bad side!

This is really important. Every dentist is different and so is every single patient. Even though the dentist is fine with it, the patient may not be. Just ask before you start shadowing.