shadowed other healthcare professions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mrfunnyman

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello
While I was exploring different careers in the past, I shadowed a few different optometrists and pharmacists, should i put that down on my application?

does it even help me to show that i explored the other healthcare professions?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I mean, I used this during interviews so that I could not only explain why medicine, but why become a physician when there are so many roles in the medical world.

Members don't see this ad :)
1) While I was exploring different careers in the past, I shadowed a few different optometrists and pharmacists, should i put that down on my application?

2) does it even help me to show that i explored the other healthcare professions?
1) You may enter other health professions shadowing, but it shouldn't dominate your Shadowing entry.

2) Depends on the reader, but if you list it, be prepared to answer questions about "compare and contrast OD and PharmD roles with MD/DO."

Reactions: 1 user
does it even help me to show that i explored the other healthcare professions?

You can probably frame the experiences as important if they were extensive/interesting or related to what you want to go into. For instance, I'm going into optho and pretty much knew that coming into medical school so if I shadowed an optometrist a bunch it might have been worth writing about. However, if I shadowed a PA in a primary care office, it might not be as convincing.