Quantcast

Shadowing a D.O.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GrapeApe

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.
I've heard that to apply to D.O. schools you must shadows a D.O. for a certain period; as well as get a letter of rec.

Are these true statements?

If so, how much should one volunteer?

And, for how long?

misparas

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
The letter requirements vary from school to school.

Check out www.aacom.org to search the different schools.

There is no set requirement for volunteer hours.

HunterGatherer

HunterGatherer
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
some schools require a DO letter while it is optional at others. If you live within 100 miles of a DO school you should be able to find a DO to shadow.

Tell your DO you need a letter on first contact and discuss how long you will need to shadow to get a solid recommendation letter. Some students get an LOR with just 1-3 visits. Set an early deadline for getting the LOR from your DO.

Volunteer as long as you feel necessary to answer your questions on becoming a physician and also an osteopathic physician.

GrapeApe said:
I've heard that to apply to D.O. schools you must shadows a D.O. for a certain period; as well as get a letter of rec.

Are these true statements?

If so, how much should one volunteer?

And, for how long?

chaeymaey

1K Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How did y'all find a DO to shadow?

theraball

Panned
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
medhacker said:

Interesting; this tool lets you search by specialty, where specialty can mean Osteopathic Manipulative Medicine.

I asked my physician if he knew any DOs and it turns out he's been seeing a DO for many years himself and is enthusiastic about osteopathy. "I would do osteopathy," he told me.

The two docs he recommended also turned up on that search tool. But I wouldn't just use the search tool in a vacuum; my gut feeling is that it's better to get a referral, unless there just aren't many choices in your town.

DrHoneyBee

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
What if you have a Dr. that is a DO? Can you ask them? Or is that a conflict of interest?

medhacker

We can end world poverty!
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
DrHoneyBee said:
What if you have a Dr. that is a DO? Can you ask them? Or is that a conflict of interest?

That is one common way to get a LOR, unless you have had issues with your doc that you would not like reflected on your LOR there should be no prob.

DrHoneyBee

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
medhacker said:
That is one common way to get a LOR, unless you have had issues with your doc that you would not like reflected on your LOR there should be no prob.

My family prac. Dr is a DO and I have seen a IM DO. This is great news, thanks!

mdage

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Call AOA, they have a mentorship program. I found one through them.